Transformers vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, May 3, 2010.

1. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Sorry, I'm not running a pol on who would win in a fight, I'm talking about the fandoms (and not which one would win in a fight either).

A few years ago, I got in an argument with my ex-wife, who was a big fan of Star Trek. The argument was about how being a Trekkie is a lifestyle, but being a Transformers fan (or junkie and she called me) is just that, a fan. I couldn't begin to tell her how offended I was by the slight. What makes one a lifestyle while the other is just for kids? Both have a long history with established, interesting characters, so what's the difference?

So I guess my question to you all is do you think there's a difference between us "Transformers junkies" and all the Trekkies and Warsies (I guess that's the Star Wars fandom name)? Do you think being a Transformers fan is a lifestyle?

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Yes. Being a fan of anything is a lifestyle if you are hardcore into it.

3. Prime Killer

Prime Killer Omega Class

I suppose just about anything could be turned into a lifestyle, the main difference in this case is Star Trek has a much larger following(all the movies and shows).

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uhh... Star Trek would definitely destroy Transformers in the sheer number of fans. It also had an almost 20 year head start, and wasn't aimed for children. (oddly enough, I loved watching the reruns of it as a kid, and Next Generation was glorious because I could be in on the ground floor of something awesome, though the classic Trek movies 2-4 were my favorites).

But I digress...

I would LOVE it if Transformers got the kind of fan base that Trek or SW got, but I think the "show being based off of a kid's toyline" is what would hold it back.

Chris

5. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Well is it the size of the fandom that earns that title of a lifestyle? Or is it because Star Trek is aimed at an older audience? Granted, when she said this was in the middle of the Beast Wars run, so do you think the lifestyle of being a TF fan has grown up since then?

6. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Star Trek or Wars would defininitely be bigger, because they've been around longer and had more time to build up a fan base.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Being a hardcore fan of anything can be considered a lifestyle.

Star Trek's fanbase is most definitely a lot larger than Transformers, due to it being older.

8. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Star Trek might have a larger fan base...but the bottom line is, Star Trek sucks.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    in your opinion

10. Prime Killer

Prime Killer Omega Class

A show's size of fandom or length of popularity isn't a determinate of lifestyle. What is are the choices you make that both define your behavior and personal identity that resonate with the values of the show.

11. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been a "fan" of both Transformers and Star Trek for over two decades and wouldn't consider either a "lifestyle". In my opinion, until you wear a Starfleet Uniform everyday and report to your post on the Starship Enterprise, you are a "fan" and until you wear an Autobot symbol and report to Optimus Prime, you are a "fan". No matter how much you share the beliefs of Star Trek or Transformers, they don't qualify as "lifestyles". To put it into context, you can work the same hours as a police officer, you can report and even try to stop crimes, but you don't have the "lifestyle" of a police officer until you wear the uniform of one and report to your commanding officer for duty. Like I said, I am a fan of both and do not wish to offend anyone. I'm just stating my point of view.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both Trek and Transformers have a wide variety of media, merchandise, internet presence, and fan-created art, fiction, costuming, role-playing, and stuff many people would be embarrassed by. The main advantage Star Trek has is a couple decades more history and the fact that it was not built around the goal of selling toy robots to children.

I like both quite a lot, and the way I see it, fandom is fandom, and the subject of that fandom makes little real difference, aside from being the stick some people use to beat "my fandom is better than yours" into others' heads. Also IMO, unless one can make a successful career out of it, no fandom is a lifestyle, and seriously believing it to be so is a sign of something unhealthy.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Being a huge Trekie I think I know where your girl is coming from......althou I wouldnt call Trek a life style.

But it is about committing yourself to a way of life.

Let me try to explain, I'm a big nerd of comics, toys Star Wars, and most of all Star Trek.

And the reason why I love trek above all else, and why its a way of life is because it showed us the best of humanity, the best we could become, it showed us a world that we could have if we could just get past these petty hatreds.

It showed us a Earth that was with out war, with out poverty, with out hate of each other for race, religion, nationality or sexual orientation.

To truly be a Trekkie , one must be ready to commit to being open minded and fair, with out hate or prejudice for others.

And thats a way of life.

Transformers, Star Wars.....they really dont go that far into that.

Being a TF or SW fan is about the fun, the excitement, the action and the characters.

Star Trek is about how humanity should and could become.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to side with your ex to an extent. Not only has Star Trek been around a lot longer than Transformers, the lore has taken on almost every issue and story it possibly can. As much as I love Transformers, Star Trek has cemented itself with modern popular culture and that won't change any time soon.

As for who has the most "committed" fans, that's a more personal issue. I'd say you get as much out of something as you put in to it. If I were you, I wouldn't be offended or see it as a "slight." I'd rather be a casual nerd wearing the occasional Autobot t-shirt browsing the toy aisle than the dude living the Jedi code word-for-word or the unfortunate soul who's convinced that he's a reincarnated Vulcan.

15. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I would say only the cool kids hang out with Transformers. : D But really it's just a personal preference, and I mean no offence to those who love Star Trek--it just isn't my cup of tea. ^__^

That said, I don't think anyone really has the right to call what something does and doesn't mean to someone else. I mean it's a bit like saying someone is wrong, because their favorite color is blue and not green--which is nonsense, truly. Figure fandoms are just as subjective as the next thing; it all depends on the individual and what kind of fan they choose to be.

And so I'd say Transformers and Star Trek have that much in common--they keep people entertained, and it means a lot to those who follow the stories and characters and everything that comes with it.

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I don't think "lifestyle" applies to either Transformers or Star Trek fandom in general, because "lifestyle" implies a "way of life" (that's also the dictionary definition) -- how one chooses to live their life on a daily basis. And fandom for either doesn't fit into that definition unless you have altered your life in a significant way that it has become a "way of life": if you live/eat/sleep/breathe Transformers or Star Trek to the point that your passion for it consumes you 24 hours a day... if you can find someone for whom Transformers or Star Trek defines them as a person, then perhaps they might fit that description.

Transformers is certainly not a "way of life" for me. And while I enjoy Star Trek to a certain fannish degree, it is certainly not a lifestyle for me.

But your ex-wife was incorrect. There are fans just as passionate for Transformers as Star Trek fans are. Trek may have been around much longer and its fans outnumber Transformers fans to a massive degree, but that doesn't make them any "better" than TF fans.

And in repsonse to sto_vo_kor_2000, I think for genuine Trekkies/Trekkers it's more of a mindset than it is a "way of life." That might be the core difference between the fandoms because you just don't see a Transformers mindset like that among TF fans, but I've met plenty of Trek fans who do have a Trek-influenced mindset that follows the ideals which have been a part of the franchise since the very beginning.

Although...I'm sure there are a few seriously diehard fans out there who live by "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" and "Til all are one" and probably greet people only with "Bah weep grah nah weep ninny bong." (And as far as some seriously devoted Star Wars fans go -- y'know, the whole "Jediism" philosophy/belief system -- we won't even go there.) But still, I don't think that legitimately qualifies as a "lifestyle."

Trangenderism is a lifestyle. Religious practices and traditions are a lifestyle. Veganism is a lifestyle. Technically, fandom for Transformers or Star Trek doesn't even come close by that definition.

And frankly, it was a rather biased, shallow and ignorant thing to assume on her part. I would have been offended as well.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    BOTH are cool but I refuse to see the Star Trek reboot.

18. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
  19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The Star Trek TV shows were about a more enlightened people who explored the universe in a way to improve themselves. The Next Generation TV series properly developed this idea from a perfect society (in Season 1 where everyone automatically does the right thing) to season 2's character bible, where characters are not perfect but strive to do better, either morally, professionally or personally.

Its this point which is crucial, the characters in Star Trek TV series are presented with moral dilemmas and we see how they cope in the best way for all, with selfishness and greed thrown by the wayside.

The movies, except for Trek 9 Insurrection and to a lesser extent Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country, don't really address these higher moral issues. Sure Trek 2-3-4 deal with friendship but as to actual higher moral ideals? Not really.

And this is the problem. The films were created from the blueprint of the TV show, but stripped out most of the deeper elements of it. If all you've been exposed to is post DS9 TV and the movies, then yes, on a whole Star Trek isn't particularly spectacular. And I'm getting the feeling that the movies are all the younger generation have been exposed to.

In fact, the new Trek movie is basically the same as a Transformers film, nice actiony film with explosions and cool stuff.

So yes, if you don't know Trek properly, its easy to compare it to Transformers, but really? Its a completely different beast, or at least, it used to be.

I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across. Star Trek was originally a show written about ideals, Transformers was originally a Kids toy advert.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    One's a space western, the other is a toy commercial; six of one, half dozen of the other really.

You can spout all the crap about Star Trek offering a bright view of humanity, but so what? So did all the non-gritty westerns before that, as did so many space serials. Hell, if that's all it takes to make one show better then the others, then The Rifleman is the best show ever, since their characters weren't just white bread morals trying to be the best people they could be, they weren't doing it in a future where technology makes everything easy and they're in space, but in a post-civil war New Mexico.

Bottom line, they're both entertainment, and fan "dedication" is nothing to judge the merits of either franchise on.