Transformers vs Bullets

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TFFan01, Oct 6, 2016.

1. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few days ago I watched the scene where Blackout transforms and is fired upon by soldiers, a lot of people think bullets were bouncing off of him but I watched very VERY closely and saw that (for a split second) Blackout actually had bullet holes in his feet (for some reason I can only see it in 360p and can't in 1080p even though 1080p should be the clearer one.) but apparently his armor regenerated itself seconds after since in later shots (were Epps was almost squished by the Decepticon's feet) there weren't any damage.

In the final battle in DOTM, if you watch closely, you can see firearms used by soldiers actually does penetrate Sentinel Prime's armor and yet was totally ineffective against Shockwave (maybe he has thougher armor I dunno?)

AOE TFs seemed like they were made out of paper so bullets were effective against them too.

So what do you think, should some types of firearms be at least partially effective against Transformers or not?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    Blackout did not regenerate his bullet wounds, the CGI guys didn't expect people like you to stop and look at the model to see if it still had the bullet holes.

And no, I don't think earthly weapons should be able to affect Transformers. In the G1 cartoon tanks couldn't pierce through their hide, and in one instance Megatron got bombarded with a planet-sized explosion and still got away saying: "I shall be avenged!" as he always did back then.

Heck, in the G1 comics, Megatron is also incredibly durable.

[​IMG]

And in the IDW comics, he walks off what is pretty much a massive and incredibly fast nuke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    That in and of itself makes wonder if you're not just seeing digital noise in the 360p version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    High-heat will basically melt anything at a certain point and we've seen they can melt down Transformium at KSI.

Plus, NEST (and probably Cemetery Wind) had access to SWAT-style training against Transformers especially, like full-auto "jacking up their circuitry" and stuff like that.

As for Shockwave, it appears to be Earth-based weaponry fired at him by the Weckers and he literally said "OW!" and picked up a car to use as a shield...so I wouldn't call it "ineffective," lol.

CGI-errors aside, the movies have been pretty consistent and logical about it. And Transformers are ridiculously overpowered in most other media (as demonstrated above), so I appreciate immensely the the approach the movies have taken instead.

Especially when we actually manage to get the BIG GEAR on target (a God's Gun rod, ffs!), we should AT LEAST be able to make a dent and take a chunk out of 'em.

• Like Like x 1
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The first film mentioned that it took high-ammunition rounds to pierce Transformer metal (during the examination of Scorponok's tail). Some guns have them, some don't.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TFFan01

News Credits:
    Marvel Megatron standing without even a scratch is too op for my tastes.

Also I think G1 cartoon had inconsistent durability, in one scene Megatron can tank a planet moving explosion and yet in another episode he were beaten by dinosaurs (including his Decepticon army).

Yeah that Sthealth Bomber body for IDW Megatron is extremely op but in general, aren't IDW formers actually gets damaged by human weapons? Soundwave was jamming F-22 missiles so that they won't hit Decepticons, Dropshot was shown to be hurt by a rpg or something and some pieces fell off his armor.

Also G1 carbots (Jazz, Cliffjumper, Wheeljack, Bumblebee) were getting stomped by Canadian military in Dreamwave G1.

I believe the first movie (in general) got it right with the general durability of Transformers, humans can kill a Transformer but it's extremely hard (as in the case of Blackout and Scorponok, though he was just defeated, not killed)

But these doesn't matter though, this topic is about bullets not about Transformers durability as a whole.

Also about the regeneration thing, in the first movie they said Transformers have self regenerating molecular armor, this has to be the only in-univere explanation.

I checked it again and again, I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing things. You can check it out for yourself on youtube if you want to.

In one scene, bullets were bouncing off of him though.

Yeah you're right bayverse is consistent than most, since the movies generally have more realism than comics and cartoons. Also I believe every continuity has scenes were Transformers are shown to be op in one scene and weak in another. In Unite for the Universe comic, there was one scene while fighthing Starscream, Movie Megatron hits Starscream so hard that nearby trees and some farm house actually gets destroyed just by the wind of his attack.

Here is the scan: http://i1.wp.com/www.allspark.com/c...s/2011/05/Unite_for_the_Universe_pt5_pg_4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think they ever made a definitive guide to the Transformers movie universe the way that other studios make a guide so with make it up as you go along that can lead to things not always feeling consistent. Much easier to feel like bullets do more or less damage per film if there is not a guide to say effective or ineffective.

Then I think you have to factor in that the movies are written by people who aren't gun people so they don't know these weapons beyond what they have seen in other movies or on TV. If I remember correctly Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman were talking about sabot rounds as if they were some sort of magic bullet because they didn't understand what the term actually means or how that would change the weapon's performance. Honestly they didn't even seem to know why you would use sabot rounds in some weapons but not others. Just because you are a Hollywood writer that doesn't mean that your knowledge base makes you an expert on all things.

Personally not a fan of pistols, rifles, or machine guns being able to harm Transformers. Instead of only the heroes can save us it ends up feeling like even a group of good old boys could take down the Decepticons and once you get to the military side it feels like the Decepticons have zero chance because they are so vastly outnumbered.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    The fact that you're watching such a great CGI scene in 360p disturbs me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TFFan01

News Credits:
    sorry I meant 720p.

10. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Mankind's involvment in the war being what breaks the statuss quo is one of the hall marks of the franchise though.

And out side of blackout and cemetary wind humanitys controbutio s to the fights is support fire while the autobots do the main damage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't have an issue with them being vulnerable to earth weaponry, given it's established that they're more "based in the real world" in terms of their strength and durability. As long as it's consistent in terms of reasoning, it can build tension and help root the CGI characters in physical space. I think that the first movie caught the happy medium (as compared to, say, DOTM) in having them basically shrug off most small arms fire, but be vulnerable to high explosives and armor-piercing weapons designed to penetrate their armor.

12. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    Haha, I'm only joking!

• Like Like x 1
  13. TFFan01

News Credits:
    Yeah I know but I just wanted to correct my mistake.

14. TFFan01

News Credits:
    Although I remembered something, maybe the reason bullets were piercing Blackout's skin was because his armor was weaker in the lower half of his body, as said by Lennox.

15. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Ash, I agree. It's a huge lack of attention to detail, also known as "the research dodge" in screenwriting terms. . .

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ash from Carolina

I'm just not sure that it's a topic where you can try to go real world. Once you get to advanced alien race that can travel across the stars there is no more what would be real.

Just look at how in our world how quickly things can change. Plop a modern main battle tank in the American Civil War and it would be unstoppable. No one in that era would be prepared for mobile armor because putting some iron plates on a ship was considered cutting edge no one outside of science fiction would imagine the power, speed, and protection of the modern battle tank. Even World War II anti tank tech would be ineffective against the modern tank as the World War II anti tank tech was only thinking metal plating not composite armor.

It's really hard to say it's realism to say that our current weapons would be up to alien armor. We have no idea what alien armor might be like. Any way you go, effective or not effective, it's all just fictional. It seems like in the real world that we are hearing that the age of this or that is over because the weapons to stop it have gotten so powerful only to have a new generation of platforms come out that were the stuff of science fiction only a few years earlier.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TFFan01

News Credits:
    If we're talking about TF durability in general, doesn't Transformers get more fragile after each film? In the first movie, Optimus and Megatron went through a building in high speed with only little bruises (there was a dent in Optimus' helmet) and I didn't see any pieces falling off of them. Same thing with them hitting each other, they could only lose pieces if they were shot with heavy weapons but in AOE everytime they hit each, pieces fell of (especially in Lockdown vs Optimus fight. Count how many times they hit each other, then count how many of these hits caused one of them to lose pieces?)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed.

The Decepticons need a better chance, and the Autobots should be the only ones to combat them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ash from Carolina

It does feel like the first movie had the toughest robots. Not just Prime and Megatron slugging it out like if Rocky was a robot but the other robots managed a tough feel. Early in the film Blackout can take out an entire military base on his own. Scorponok has a team of human heroes pinned until they can call in air support with some serious fire power. Jazz has to have his sparked ripped out to be stopped. Bumblebee takes an insane amount of damage. Even Bonecrusher felt like he was giving Prime a real fight until Prime could find an opening.

But after that it gets hard to find the minor character that can put up a fight like Bonecrusher or shrug off damage like Blackout did early in the first movie. Even the new big bad for the movie could have been named Scrap because they would die the same film they were introduced.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

i dont have a problem with humans doing damage to the transformers but dotm was over the top in my opinion

• Like Like x 2