Transformers: Victory - Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TransRanger, Oct 14, 2010.

1. TransRanger

TransRanger Well-Known Member

Just decided to break this open. Two episodes in and I have to say it kicks ass.

Got a few questions:

1. How did this not get brought to America gack when it was airing? This show would have melted my brain back in the day.

2. What happened to Optimus and Megatron? Why is this show staring Star Saber and Desaurus? It's cool.. and actually INCREDIBLY welcome as a chance, but.... why?

3. In the later toy lines, has their been any homages to these Victory characters? I'd imagine every TF fan would pay out of their stuffnjunk for an updated Star Saber toy.

4. What's with the gimmicks I'm seeing? Dinosaurs? And like... robots that come out of them? And what's "Brain Up" or whatever? Does this line up of Transformers have some theme? What's with them all being sword slingers? Again, very cool, but.... how'd this happen?

5. Are the Transformers I know and love out there? Am I going to see Optimus Prime fly in swinging a sword too at some point?

Anyway.... great show... watching the 3rd episode now. :D 

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Optimus and Megatron are long dead by that point in the fictional timeline. The dinosaurs are Pretenders - techorganic shells that serve as mobile armor for a robot to hide in.

I'll defer the rest to more knowledgeable people.

3. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is technically God Ginrai. Star Saber is someone else completely.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Star Saber was homaged throughout the Unicron Trilogy, first he had a sword made of minicons named after him:

[​IMG]

Energon Wing Saber is the closest looking thing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Cybertron Wing Saber is the best built toy, and also a swordsman:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Autobots' main toy gimmick is called Brainmasters. It's pretty close to Headmasters, as you've seen, and I dig it. The Decepticons have transforming chest armor/weapon/animal partners called Brest Force. I think they're a precursor for the Power Core Combiners minicon partners.

You'll see the Japanese version of Powermaster Optimus Prime, named God Ginrai, later on in this series. He's not exactly Optimus Prime, but if you haven't seen the Masterforce series I don't want to spoil it. And there are other G1 cameos when God Ginrai shows up, but the focus is on these new dudes.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh, and Deszaras and Leozack were both done as Botcon toys:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

By the time of Victory, Star Saber is the new Supreme Commander of the Autobots. Dezarus is his old Decepticon rival from his past with his legion of Decepticons. Star Saber's group of Autobots are called Brainmasters, which is technically Headmasters. Dezarus's Decepticons are Breastforce. They have chest plates that transform into animals or weapons. It was the gimmick of Victory. The Dinoforce are essentially the Monster Pretenders with Dinosaur shells and a more coherent color scheme. You won't see Optimus Prime in the series because he died in Headmasters. Instead you see God Ginrai, the Autobot Supreme Commander of Masterforce.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The show had al ready been canceled in the US, and interest in the toyline wasnt great. I doubt Hasbro felt there was a market for the show.

There was also 2 installments of TF shows that aired before Victory in Japan.
    There have been.

Wing Saber from Energon was clearly a homage to Star Saber.

"technically" you are incorrect.

The life less body of God Ginrai was originally designed as a new body for Optimus, but the character of God Ginrai was as completely and totally different character from Optimus.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yup, Ginrai and Optimus are completely different characters in Japan who just happen to look similar.
    Enjoy the ride, it's a fun series!

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    The combiners were awesome in Victory. Enjoy the likes of Liokaiser, Dinoking, Road Caesar, and Landcross... and the ultimate ultimate combination of Star Saber =)

10. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

(1) thus far,both takara & hasbro have never explained why the TF cartoons ends in america yet continued in Japan. this appears to be a company secret.

(2) TF Victory takes place around the year 2025. both optimus & galvatron died in the headmasters cartoon series that was set in the year 2012.

(3) the Takara toy line called "robot masters" that came out 5+years ago. did a few basic sized updated homages to TF Victory starsabre & victoryleo.
    botcon 2005 did a Deathsauras updated homage. I consider that PCC dinobots combiner a TF Victory dinoking updated homage. I consider that year 2005 cybertron toy line ultra sized Cryoscourge a deathsauras updated homage toy.

(4) most of the gimmicks in headmasters,Masterforce & Victory are loosely inspired by the hasbro USA Masters type & pretender gimmicks. the TF Victory brainmaster gimmick has taken the headmasters gimmick to the next level. the decepticon TF Victory breastforce gimmicks appear to have taken 1984 soundwaves animal cassette gimmicks to the next level. TF Victory dinoking is a 1988 monstructor repaint using different dinosaur pretender shells.

(5) The original diaclone G-1 optimus prime's persona isn't in this cartoon.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oops, I forgot Robotmasters. They're a great pair!

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

"Company secret"???

What are you talking about??

The answer is quite obviously the lost of interest in the toyline in the US.

With out that Hasbro just didn't want to shell out the money to produce a cartoon series..

Fact is the G1 cartoon was canceled in the US after "The return of Optimus Prime".

13. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    God Ginrai, the not Optimus character that uses Powermaster Prime's toy, was actually in the very first episode of Victory.
    Wheeljack and Perceptor make an appearance eventually.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Actually, it died out after Rebirth, though I guess you could say that there was not the interest there after the Return of Optimus Prime to make more than a final three episodes. On the other hand, you might also take the opinion that Rebirth failed to ignite enough interest in the appropriate areas to make more episodes beyond it and it was an abandoned pilot for a fourth season.

In any event you're quite right, there was simply more interested in Japan than the US, interest which propelled Japan to carry on the series for another three years worth of new shows. And I don't believe the old rumour that Headmasters would have been translated but the copies were destroyed, because there's a whole lot of elements in there that wouldn't mesh well with the US series.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I dont mean to argue, particularly since you agree with my ultimate assessment, but the show was already canceled by the time "The Rebirth" aired.

As a matter of fact, the show was canceled a few months before "The Return of Optimus Prime" aired.

And "the Rebirth" was intended to be a pilot.........for a new series not a 4th season.

16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Visit TFCog. They've dubbed the entire series in English. They do a pretty good job though the voice given Hellbat really bugs me. Worth a look though.