Transformers Up For Oscar Consideration

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_article/VR1117977801.html?nav=news&categoryid=1982&cs=1
    http://weblogs.variety.com/thesetlist/2007/12/oscars-whittle.html

2. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my money is on 300 but ya never know.

3. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

That's great news!
    Some limelight for ILM after Weta took hold of it for so long...

4. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice to see a nod for visual effects. It needs to win that category.

And they nominated Sam & Mikaela's Theme over the Arrival From Space? Rubbish.

5. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Two nominations would be nice, two wins would be even better. :D 

6. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

Hands down, TF owns in the visuals department, along with pirates.
    It'll be tough between the two.

Can also see TF winning Best Score and Best Sound Editing. If any other movie wins those, I want to see them, since I clearly haven't seen anything come even close to what TF had to offer.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd say TF has a pretty good shot at the visual effects award. I haven't seen all of these movies, but Transformers had some of the most amazing CGI work I've ever seen (although it's sometimes hard to tell what I'm looking at thanks the f-ing shaky camera).

I don't know what the song is up against, but I don't really see it winning. It's not an especially great song, and it played for all of what, 20 seconds during the movie?

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Outstanding. Oscars are silly, but I'd love to see TF take one home.

9. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Agreed but I'm not sure about priates 3 since I haven't seen it yet but visual effects Transformers wins hands down as for best score I could see it winning and sound effects did they annoucnce any other awards nommines?

10. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Though I think Transformers had the best visual effects in creating transforming robots that looked real (still can't get over how perfectly they pulled off the scene with the Autobots near that white building by the Hoover Dam), I'd say either 300, Beowulf, or Ratatouille will win. 300 had decent artistic visual effects, Beowulf was all relatively realistic CGI (but the movie itself wasn't too great), and EVERYONE loves Ratatouille (I for one haven't seen it and don't plan to), and I think the bias against Michael Bay and the Transformers movie itself will hurt it in the end.

As for best song, I don't think it'll win that, either. I think it should have gotten nominated for best score, though.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Very cool, and not surprising in the least...well maybe best song, but thats ok.

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    A little off-topic but... Beowulf? Ratatouille? Seriously, for special effects...? o_O 

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

How can Ratatouille be even considered? The whole damn film itself is one huge special effect, I thought they had excluded CGI animation from the SFX category?

14. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

I'm not a fan of the oscars because it only recognized as CERTAIN type of movie for the most part, the pretentious kind. I can't respect something that's supposed to be THE movie award show then it doesn't bother recognizing all types of movies and actors.

Why can't a good action star or comedic actor be nominated for best actor? Those kinds of roles are just as skilled, if not more skilled than the standard drama actors that get nominated every year.

Hate MTV but at least they give awards to the entertaining movies, AND are voted by the people.

That being said it's not really a surprise at all that Transformers is getting a nod for visual effects. For it to not would be a vast bias against the action genre.

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

No surprise about special effects. They were absolutly amazing. I am surprised about the song though. It's not a bad song, I enjoyed it well enough, but the Goo Goo Dolls have done so much better.

Also: I second the need for a "best score" nomination.

16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    you've gotta be kidding me. i've seen most of those movies, and besides 300, Transformers is the only one that stands out. Sure, there's some neat special effects in a lot of them. but Transformers went where no film has gone before. what was done in 300 had been done, they just did it better. so for innovation in realism of CGI i think Transformers needs to win. I mean, HONESTLY!!! the bourne ultimatum? the movie f*cking rocked the house, but in terms of special effects...there were a couple explosions and some car chases. oooooo. and FF4 was just an outright terrible movie, it doesn't deserve to be on that list. Ratatouille, while it was great, should not get nominated in this category. because they weren't trying to make it look real. besides, it'll probably win best animated full length feature because it was amazing.

and hell yes it should be nominated for best original score. music from a movie has never made me cry until TF.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's a bit unfair to the rest of the class that they're allowing Beowulf and Ratatouille into the running for special effects.

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I have little doubt "The Golden Compass" will win, due to the political nature of these Hollywood awards. Especially since it's failing at the box office, and giving it an Oscar will likely get more people to watch it solely based on that. Though Transformers SHOULD win, and I'll be extremely happy to be wrong.

19. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I can't really agree with this.

Whilst I loathe the Oscars for being a relentless Hollywood back-slapping exercise that generally fixates itself with one 'worthy' film each year, if you look back over the last 10 years of nominates and award winners you'll find it's a fairly even spread across genres.

Picking out examples from this period of winners of the Actor/Actress/Director etc at random - Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, The Constant Gardener, The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby, The Departed, Dreamgirls, Mystic River, Traffic, Training Day. Not really 'pretentious' films are they? Or are you put off by the likes of 'The Hours' and 'The Pianist'?

Action/fantasy pictures have almost always taken home a statue for FX and sound, but these are not Oscars that interest either the media or the public at large. The Best Actor/Supporting Actor, Best Picture and of course Best Director are the biggies.

Given that the awards are supposed (in theory!) to recognise excellence rather than populism within each role, it's hardly a surprise that action films tend not to get the Best Actor gong - they not usually required to stretch the acting abilities of those involved (Action Director - "OK, you run, then you screeeeam, this thing blows up - then you run again...") - just go ask the actors.

Having proven with the 'Rings trilogy that they are now willing to acknowledge fantasy films with both the Best Picture and Best Director awards, its now only comedy where the Academy really falls down. That and a scandalous ignorance of independent and foreign cinema (having a Foreign Film slot is rather isolationist).

Transformers will almost certainly win for FX, unless the whole Beowulf CGI/3D thing comes into play. I'm also nonplussed by the inclusion of Ratatouille in the FX category. I loved the film, but it's all CGI...

Oh, and the MTV awards is better? At least the Oscars don't give out awards for films that aren't even on release yet...:crazy: 

20. wal2.0

wal2.0 Banned