Minor/Repaint: Transformers Universe Powerglide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ErechOveraker, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Haven't posted anything here in awhile, so I finally took some pics of my latest finished repaint.

Inspired by a few cues from Frenzy_Rumble’s version, this Transformers Universe Powerglide was dyed with RIT DYE colors dark wine (mixed with a touch of black) and then painted up with lighter and lighter dabs of red, and trimmed with a dark burgundy, all of which were then sprayed flat with Testors Dullcote.

Metallic base on the arms are Krylon Fusion Shimmer, and then like 4 or 5 other various custom shades building that up, from a light metal blue to even 2 goldish shades too. All the metallics were then coated with blue-tinted Future Floor Polish for protection.

Powerglide also has new ID markings (featuring a variation on my initials and d.o.b.) and a bunch of other custom decals all over.

The only major modifications done were the landing gear mod, shaving down the rear wing landing gear so it would open further out. Also I disabled the electronics and lights, mostly out of frustration. I had to solder a couple of the wires back onto the circuit board that came loose when I took the figure apart, and one of the same wires kept coming undone over and over, and I finally just decided to leave it undone. I was going to take the batteries out anyways, because the electronics and noises were actually pretty annoying, so there.

The autobot symbol is from Reprolabels, although I kind of wish I had used a mirror-backed symbol instead of the white outlined one, but it still looks great. Yay for Reprolabels!

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Dayum! Absolutely beautiful!

3. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

jeez, nicely done!

4. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Your paint skills are crazy impressive. Pat on your back.....do you have much trouble with paint rub in this figure?

5. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Thanks guys.

There isn't much you can do with this figure to avoid it, really. I've transformed him about a dozen times since I painted him, and so far he's not had that many major scraping issues. Just on the fins against the rear engine thingies/chest boobs. But it's not been super noticeable. Those pics are from this morning, so any scraping that's happened so far will be seen above.

Still, the way it was designed, rubbing is just going to happen. Which is why dying this guy is the best way to go, imo.

6. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I keep looking at this, this is some of the best painting that I've ever seen. EXCELLENT WORK!! WOW.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    seeing how well he dyes makes me wonder if that wouldn't be the way to go for making a copy of that Cobra Rattler that Boggs6ft7 did...

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    This is SAWEET!! :thumb 

Love the decal you used (on what looks like) the underside of the Alt mode :D 

9. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Fantastic work,your realistic (& superb i might add) painting really brings this guy to life.
    Love the new decals too.

10. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would do it that way for sure.

That damn Rattler was really sweet too, wasn't it? Damn him, I might have to do another Powerglide now!! :D 

It's actually on the top... which would then make no sense since it'd be Powerglide who'd be in trouble. But it's really small and I liked the idea of having some kind of text on a panel, even if most people won't be able to make it out, you know?

Thanks man, that's high praise coming from you!

Thanks everyone.

11. Fallen

Fallen can not resist lilformers

awesome decals!:lol  very funny!

12. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Very nice, I love the different shades of red in there.

I wish I had dyed mine now, I'm not sure how the color would have turned out, but the amount of rub is ridiculous on this figure.

13. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    I bet you could get pretty close with that blue. A little trial and error. I think we're going to see a few people trying it soon enough though :) 

Thanks though man.

14. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    very impressive! :)  keep up the great work!

15. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Hey,
    any tips on dyeing this mold? I tried my best myself, got a great colour, but lots of warping and some of the joints were weakened to the point of breaking...going to have to shell out more cash for a new one, but am too hard headed to not want to try again...
    let's face it, the mold has some problems, but it's actually one hell of a cool transformer, boobs and colour aside...
    in fact, I'm thinking of finding a way to lessen the "top heavy" or "Dolly Parton with Lights" effect. Maybe just getting rid of the clear plastic nipples..I mean jet engines...
    So, any suggestions on dyeing without, yaknow dying...

16. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    You should check that dye tutorial here, it's got all the tips you need.

If yours got warped, then your water was way too hot I'd bet. It doesn't even have to be near boiling at all, just a little warmer than hot tap water should work. I left this guy sit under liquid overnight to get an even coating, and then left him to dry for 2 full days, so all the water evaporated etc.

I'd also next time barely take him apart too. I took this apart fully, and it was kind of overkill. Plus I had to deal with all the wires of the electronics etc, which I could have fixed if I cared but man the sound effects got annoying faaaast. Anyways, I'd just take the waist apart and the arms off the wings and I think that's about it. Just make sure and move hinges around every so often to make sure all the areas are getting exposed and dyed, you know?

Good luck on your next one!

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    hey EO,

I didn't have a problem with electronics. I did, however take out the batteries...
    I also waited a good solid week before checking the electronics, and left him in the sun most of those days. The circuitry should withstand the water, I don't think any of it is susceptible to damage from just hot water + acetone. Sometimes, circuit boards have ceramic breakers on them, but I think modern technology allows manufacturers to make those same types of breakers with plastic.

I have 2 more commissions of this figure, but each unique...I am going to try some "experiments" out with the dying process, such as leaving one in room temp dye'd water for a few days. I'm also not going to bother taking the next ones apart, was pointless.

18. ErechOveraker

News Credits:
    Oh I am sure the electronics would work if I soldered them back, but why bother at this point? (pssst - I'm lazy!)

Taking him apart would be worthless though, you're right. I'm sure letting him sit for a day would work just fine too. Can't wait to see your new ones man.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Among many other things, I love the overall muted look to this toy. I think it silly to have a largely bright red jet. You've taken an idea (red jet) and made it grounded a bit more in reality. Props for that, man :thumb 

20. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    O_O

Gorgeous.