Transformers Universe on Ebay... Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by M3T4L V1KING, Jul 17, 2011.

1. M3T4L V1KING

M3T4L V1KING I live as few men dream.

Ebay:
    Hi, I bet there's a forum somewhere asking the same question, but I can't find it.

As the title says, I was wondering why the Universe figures are so expensive? I understand that they aren't produced anymore so that would definitely up the price, but not by THAT much because they're not that old. I'm looking at Sunstreaker and Sideswipe figures that cost over up to 50 dollars (Canadian) or more. So I was wondering if anyone knew why they're priced the way they are.

Another thing to mention is that the deluxe figures are costing more than the Voyager figures. Some even cost more than the Ultra figures. For example, Onslaught MISB, an ultra figure, costs about 36 dollars Canadian (shipping included). Heavy Load MISB, a voyager figure, costs about 25 dollars Canadian (shipping also included). While Prowl MOC, a deluxe figure, costs about 58 dollars Canadian (Of course, shipping also included). And that seems to be about the average price for other deluxe figures too. (Also to note, these are all "Buy it now" prices from North America)

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Popular character, popular molds, low supply and high demand. No voodoo economics here.

3. M3T4L V1KING

Ebay:
    Still seems like a little much.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I just hope that once I'm out of college and have a job Ramjet and Cliffjumper won't cost 50+ a pop. Hopefully when Generations officially takes a hiatus the prices will drop a bit.

5. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alot of this is "buy it now" sealed or even auction sealed..... I'm not concerned with packaging since I'm just gonna rip into it anyway so loose is cool for me and that saves alot of these prices, I still need a few deluxes but I'm just about put a full set together in the last 9 months.

Yahobby.com had sunstreaker and sideswipe in stock late last year still...

- edit - yep, still instock as is hound and prowl.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I always find amusing is that all these expensive toys were very easy to find. Ramjet and Cliffjumper pegwarmed for a long time. Same with Prowl & Sunstreaker. Ratchet wasn't around as much but still easy to find. The Target UM/Skywarp set had dozens sitting at $5 (75% off) each for at least a week before they were gone. All I can figure that the people paying $$$ for them weren't into TFs at the time. With UM I can sort of understand since the City Commander made them more wanted but they were super easy to find when they were out.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Prices may go up if more people continue to join the hobby and then get into the classic figures.

8. M3T4L V1KING

Ebay:
    Yeah no kidding. Ramjet is the only Conehead I'm missing and it's KILLING me. And Cliffjumper is one of my all time favourite G1 characters, so much so that I'm considering getting the War for Cybertron one just so I can add a Cliffjumper to my collection.

I might also add that Ramjet and Cliffjumper are part of the Classics line, which from what I can tell is equally as expensive.

9. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    The demand went up a little after Generations started. Since it was Classics 3.0, people wanted to complete their sets they couldn't complete when Universe 2.0 was out or are now able to complete with Generations but didn't pick up during Universe 2.0 (I'm looking at Thundercracker).

Also, with each Classics released, there are new collector's who join and want to get the figures they missed out on, again increasing the demand.

As much as I hated the design, I started collecting during Movie 1, and I somehow did not know about Universe 2.0. Although I did see Cyclonus on the shelf, I said that since I'm not collecting this, I will pass. I got a lot of Classics and Universe 2.0 that I wanted now, but I'm still missing some. I myself have to do catch-up.

10. M3T4L V1KING

Ebay:
    Know what you mean, I had a chance to get both Sunstreaker and Prowl but I was in no real rush because they were peg warmers, they weren't going anywhere. Next thing I know, when I actually want them they're not there anymore. And then they're really expensive on ebay, it's a shame really. Also, I never actually saw the UM/Skywarp 2-pack, which sucked.

11. thedrknss48

thedrknss48 Veteran

News Credits:
    Third party upgrades also up the demand. People want G2 Prime now with the trailer upgrade. I saw him so many times on the pegs, glad I got 1 already.

12. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    One thing about this hobby, it can get expensive quick. I have been very patience and lucky....but classics skywarp eludes me. I optimistic that when generations pick up after the movie dies down...we will get a skywarp and my seekers will be complete...its better to search on here to find what you're looking for...cheaper prices and cooler people. I was able to get most of my chugs here...

13. M3T4L V1KING

Ebay:
    I actually had the chances to get Starscream, Hound, Cyclonus, and Acid Storm for 20 bucks all together. I feel really stupid now for not getting them now, but like you, I wasn't collecting these ones at the time. I was collecting the movie figures. It's really annoying when that happens isn't it? lol

14. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    There are lots of contributing factors, and most have already been mentioned here.

One other factor henceforth not discussed that attributes to the low supply of these figures is collector retention. A lot of folks that purge collections seem to hold on to at least some, if not all, of their CHUG stuff, while the rest goes on to the selling block.

But ultimately, as said early on, this is nothing but lots of people wanting these figures, and there not being many of them, hence higher prices.

15. M3T4L V1KING

Ebay:
    Expensive is right, the other day I got the RTS Bumblebee and HFTD Leader Starscream... 60 dollars later I wonder I how I manage to spend all this money. And that was all on retail... and on sale. Got to love Canadian prices.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yes, except for the "low supply" part not being the case here

17. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only started collecting with generations... Couldn't tell you what it was that finally got me buying but I've been a fan all my life so it was nostalgia mostly. I'm exclusively a CHUG-er and that extends to KO's, 3rd parties and botcon stuff not just standard hasTak retail.

PS.... KOtoys has a CHMS ramjets and some decent looking cliffjumpers.

18. M3T4L V1KING

Ebay:
    Yeah I've seen plenty on Ebay... I might also add that prices are probably bit higher for me with me living in Canada and all. So I'm sure the prices are not "quite" as bad for some people. (Referring to shipping of course)

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they're classics-styled figures, there was a thread of what is better, close to 90% said classics. supply, demand etc

20. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Best way to combat this is, pick and choose your battles....create a list, find out what you want on your high list. Its make its easier. PATIENCE! is number 1. Watch these sale threads ....