Transformers Universe / Classics 2.0 - Springer & Ratbat

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Icetron, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Didn't see any thread, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just picked up the "Standoff Beneath the Streets" 2-pack featuring Springer and Ratbat earlier today. I passed on Blades to pick up this set since I also wanted Ratbat.

I actually like Springer a lot more than I thought. :D  In fact I originally wanted this pack for Ratbat but I find I like Springer a lot more.

Anyways here's a few quick pics. Oh and no comic in Canada unfortunately, I don't mind though.

Paintjob is alright on both figures but Springer is slightly worse since for most of the boxes I went through there weren't any 'perfect' paint apps so I just went with a random one. No major paint slops so it's okay. :) 

[​IMG]

Before opening. (Notice Ratbat is really mistransformed...)

[​IMG]

Front of the box. Notice Springer has a red key, and Ratbat a purple one.

[​IMG]

Back.

[​IMG]

Both in robot mode.

[​IMG]

Ratbat and Sideways. Sorry, I don't have Cyb. Evac or Blades to compare.

This is my first of the Cybertron Evac mode, and I think it's a pretty fun toy. I like it a lot. The transformation is a bit tricky but the robot mode is pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of the rotors on his arm or the hook though, they look a bit weird. Out of the 3 'Evacs' I actually like the colours on this one the most, which is why I waited for this set instead of picking up Evac or Blades. Highly recommended, can't stop fiddling with the toy actually. :lol 

As for Ratbat, he doesn't feel as nice as the original Sideways. Very few paint apps but I think it adds to the look. Something neat to note is that they used glittery plastic on Ratbat, so it's not a solid/matte colour. I like how the Decepticon logo changes to the WW logo (I think?) compared to Sideways' Decepticon logo gimmick. I'd recommend picking this up anyways if you don't already own a Sideways, really neat mold.

Overall I'd recommend this set, it goes for $34.99 (at Zellers in Canada) but I got it for $30 taxes in after a local sale, retails for $29.99 in the US (at Target I believe). I don't really know how it compares to the Dirge vs Roadbuster set since I don't plan on getting that.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! Ratbat looks meh next to Sideways

I'll probably get it but I really hate Springer being forced into one mode :( 

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    ah, u beat me to it...i'll add my photos up anyway...just of springer...who's a really nice figure...i really like the mold, and the paint job is quite nice too..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robot mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

comparison with TFU Blades
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i really liked the mold which is why i love the blades fig a lot too...the paint job on springer is quite good....good figure..i got it separately, not the complete box...im not sure if its worth getting the box coz im not a fan of the ratbat figure...and the stores here only sell both boxsets together...and roadbuster/dirge is really not my thing either...
    anyway, just on springer...he's very nice!

4. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Only things I don't like about the mold is that the nose of the copter looks kinda weird and the side of the copter mode looks odd too, still a great figure. :) 

5. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Just got this set today. Great set indeed.

I really like Springer, I gotta say.

And Ratbat needs the "eyes" on his head painted. That'll further differentiate him from Sideways.

6. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice paint job.

7. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    OH thank god! Theres no red on his mouth I grabed blades but I'll pick up this set to.

8. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    what comic comes with it

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

No comic with ours. Supposed to be War within vol.2 #2.

Also something to watch out for on Ratbat. The left leg on mine was assembled wrong. I had to flip the shin so he would transform right.

10. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

It's starting to amaze me how often when the first photos get leaked I'll think it's ugly and don't want it, and by the time it hits stores I've changed my mind. It also helps that these and the other Target comic 2-pack are proven wonderful molds.

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Has anyone come up with any mods for Springer? Like to get rid of the tow cable & guns, or to put the propellor on his back or have the blades removable for swords?

12. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    It's pretty easy to remove, all you do is unscrew the screws on the lower arm, open up the lower arm, and take it out.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he doesn't have any eyes, man. The whole face is translucent.

14. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    They look nice, thanks for the pics.

With this being the second repaint of this mold, I almost wish they would reissue the original. Sideways too.

15. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    It looks like that's his mouth, and that he has sculpted eyes above it... [​IMG]

Man, are his hips loose... :redface2: 

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    but that's not the case. That's just helmet decorations.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Ah, the Ratbat and Springer set. I already want Ratbat, since he can switch between Decepticon and Ultracon logos (much better than the fliping autobot/Decepticon logos on the original toy release), but I wasn't too keen on Springer. However, people have been saying nice things about him, and I don't own the previous two Cyb. Evac versions, so I may be judging a book by the cover in Springer's case.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I was excited to find the two packs on Thursday.

These are two of the best TF molds to be released in the past few years (IMO anyway) so i was really looking forward to it.

Springer:

I also have Evac and Blades and I have to say Springer is my least favorite of the three. I think its that I find the color mixture pretty bland and boring. It's still a spectacular mold and there's no degredation or paint issues on it, but it doesn't scream 'Springer' to me.

Ratbat:

The only issue I had with Cybertron Sideways was the hip balljoints were super loose right out of the package. I had hoped it was just unfortunate luck but knew it was a widespread problem after reading other reviews here. I also hoped Ratbat's joints would be a bit tighter but sadly it's not the case. I don't have any problems getting it to stand or pose, but when pulling apart the hips for transformation inevitably the legs pop off every time, even when try to just pry the pieces apart gently. The problems aside, I think its a great mold for WW Ratbat the jet mode was really painted to look like an alien mechanical bat. Hasbro pulled it off perfectly. Plus the Ultracon/ Deceptcon insignia switch was a great touch as well.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I prefer to think of them as eyes as well. The box art for Ratbat really makes it appear like they're eyes and it looks awesome.

20. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pics?:useless