Transformers United Lugnut

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Feb 13, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's a review of the Decepticon Thug: Lugnut from Transformers United. Check out other reviews like this on my blog.

[​IMG]

I got a load of Transformers United figures, and Lugnut is up first on the chopping block. For those of you not in the know, this is a "Classics-ized" rendition of a character created for Transformers Animated. According to TakaraTomy, Lugnut is a Decepticon Thug... I don't think that's how I'd really describe Megatron's most loyal grunt.

Lugnut

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Lugnut's alt mode is a stylized version of a bomber plane, and it looks pretty nice. The sculpting is rather solid, and it sports a really wide wingspan. It's actually pretty big in this mode, and I don't know where to store it. The United Lugnut doesn't have as many tampoed markings that the Reveal the Shield version does. It's also a rather deep forest green. I can't say that I prefer it over the RtS version, because I wanted it to be purple. Not only that, but there are parts just don't seem to look good all around. The painted green parts has a glossy sheen that doesn't quite match the look of the parts that were molded in the same green. There are just different shades of green all over this bot. The toy looks pretty cheap because of this inconsistency. The cockpit area of the plane doesn't fit together very well in this mode. What makes matters worse, is the color paint used for the mouth is also mismatched on the separate sections. I will say though, that the wing transformation is pretty clever.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: To start off, I'd like to say that I love the design layout of these United figures. I really like the purple used on the figure, but I wonder why the head is the only metallic piece. I also didn't realize that the Animated model has a teal colored face. Had I remembered, maybe I wouldn't have gotten this. I don't really like that Lugnut has such a thin waist, and that his thighs have as many movable items involved. Considering how top-heavy the figure is, it isn't very easy to hold in standing position. The arm punch gimmick is also on a really sensitive hairpin trigger. This shoots out very easily, and will set off a lot of the times you don't want it to. The shoulder area doesn't peg into place, and just floats around. I don't like this aspect either, especially since the arms aren't able to bend backwards. One thing I forgot to mention, is that the mouth doesn't open very well. Since the head doesn't sit on a raised ball-joint, the neck area's design prevents the jaw from opening at all angles. The other gimmick, the missile launcher, is pretty pointless. The hanging tail-fin is raised to expose the missile launcher. This just makes me think of Beast Wars 10th Anniversary Megatron... stupid.

[​IMG]

Overall: The overall impression that I have of the United line isn't very favorable. It's quite the opposite of what my impression was of the Henkei line; when that was new. Lugnut is my first figure from the line, and it's really hit or miss. As much as I rag on the mold, it's not that bad. I wish he were a bit bulkier, but I understand that it doesn't have to be the same character as the Animated one. But the color deco is the overall deciding factor here. I usually own both versions, if there is a significant difference, and there clearly is a difference with the two here... but who wins this battle? I don't have the Hasbro one on hand, but from what I can see... that one definitely is. The green is out of left field, and the color scheme isn't accurate to the character. The Hasbro one, though it isn't purple, harkens back to a repaint of the original Animated toy. So if you had to choose between the two... unless you really need your Lugnut to have a metallic purple head, the cheaper Reveal the Shield alternative is the better bet.

[​IMG]

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Such a good figure. I want to like the United one...and it isn't a bad color scheme at all...but the green the United one used is just so odd looking. The cream color on the fingers and knees, scoops and feet don't really...fit either. They stand out too much. I don't mind the rest of the purple. For me the Hasbro one is definitely the winner.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Missed opportunity, If they had coloured him like the animated version I would have jumped, as it is I have a RTS Lugnut who's currently half purple.

4. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Why are the RTS voyagers not out in the US??? The deluxes are already on the last wave as there is no RTS wave 3 and we still have not gotten legends, voyagers, and scouts

5. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    oh..still waiting on my two packages of United lugnut to get here from customs..sitting there since feb 9th
    UGH..cannot wait to get him side by side with RTS lugnut.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One word review for this guy:

GLORIOUS!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I think I still would rather get the Hasbro version. The purple here is too random.

8. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im glad i scrolled down there the first pictures he looked purple but then once i scrolled down i noticed its actually green. i was mid pre order too ha. the united figure is awesome i just dont care about the character enough to spring for the extra paint. id rather just get the RTS and keep the entra money for other united figures i might want more

9. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    this is the best reason to pick up this guy no matter the colors

[​IMG]

:D  :lol 

Attached Files:

10. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

The Dark Green on the United version reminds me of a WW2 Japanese Army plane (they'd didn't have a separate air-force, and the navy usually had the light Grey colours).

11. MrMunkeepants

MrMunkeepants Well-Known Member

can someone tell me what his length and wingspan are in plane mode?

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    So meh it hurts. The RTS version is so much better.

13. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Anyone post some comparison images of the United and RtS versions? Thanks :) 

14. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

got him today, absolutely have no complaint about the color. I didn't see any inconsistency color, tight joint, very poseable, and to think I didn't really like him before! xD

15. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I like the paint job on the United version, other than the creme colored hands. I was suprised when I got mine to find how big he is in alt mode. His wingspan dwarfs other plane transformers. The arm transformation is also quite good.

16. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I'll be darned. This must have come up somewhere before but I just found out totally by accident that Lugnut's jaw is articulated.

17. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

13" wingspan, 9" length.

18. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can someone with United Lugnut help me identify his missile? I picked up a small lot of CHUG bots and I can't seem to figure out which missile is his. I have one that I'm pretty sure is it, but it seems really tight and I don't want to force it in and break something.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's a very simple red missile with a rounded end. Like a stubby bullet. If you know what BW Scorponok's missiles look like, it's kinda like them but darker red.

20. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not this then.

[​IMG]