Transformers United Axalon

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, May 17, 2012.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

The latest Transformers United batch consists of repainted Transformers Energon/Cybertron molds. Of these figures, Axalon is the only toy that brings anything significant to the table. For those that don’t know, the Axalon was the ship that the Maximals used in Beast Wars. In the Transformers United fiction, a spark had been given to the ship so that it could transform and battle Unicron. Here is the review.

Axalon

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Axalon is a repaint of Transformers Energon Sharkticon, which is amusing since the original figure is based on the Decepticon starship Nemesis. That being said, it works. In alt mode, the Axalon is quite handsome compared to its mold brothers. The paint apps are nice and crisp, with the color choices being very attractive. I'm surprised that TakaraTomy decided to throw some paint on the rubber fins; I hope they don't flake off over time. The best part, though, are the silver cannons.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: You have to go into this knowing that the mold is very old; it's quite dated actually. The figure lacks certain articulation points and carries outmoded design aesthetics. Besides that, the new color deco makes the figure unique. Everything about it looks unified, but it borders*the line of being boring. Besides the color scheme, there isn't anything new that Axalon brings to the table.

[​IMG]

Overall: Though I don't own the original Sharkticon, I do own the Botcon 2010 repaints. The mold was good for the era it came out in, but there's something about it that I can't fully appreciate. While I'm glad that Japan finally got their hands on this mold, I feel ambivalent towards it. As much as I appreciate the plethora of paint apps, the mold feels out-of-place with my current collection. I merely bought this figure because I'm a sucker for most new Classics-era figure. If you're not married to the completest yoke, then there really is no need to pick this up.

For more pictures, go to The Rabbit Haul

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    While interesting, I have no desire to own this. I already have the mold and it looks nothing like the Axalon.

3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I want this because I love the mold, and a non-garish color scheme would be nice (though I have grown to love Sharkticon's colors).

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I fell in love with Sharkticon's colors the second I laid eyes on him. He looks FAAABULOUS.

5. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I have the original Energon version, and it's one of my favorite figures. That being said, I wouldn't pay import prices for a repaint.

6. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I have this guy. He really is quite fun. Hell.....if you put some SG stickers on him and you got yourself a SG Gnaw. The real Sharkticons could be a bunch of Energon Sharkticons.:) 

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    that is what i use..two energon sharks led by botcon sky bite....

8. Primus Medieval

Primus Medieval Well-Known Member

I like the mold but not E. Sharkticon's color in robot mode. This repaint works for me. I have his back transformed opened up like a cape. A also decked him out with DOTM Topspin's guns. I have him hanging out with my other intergalactic Autobots like Vector Prime, Countdown, Wingsaber, Sky Lynx, among others.

I am currently looking for a sword for him, any suggestions?

9. starkaz75

starkaz75 Well-Known Member

I've been using a green translucent sword from one of the Energon dinosaur terrorcons, overbite, I think is his name. The orange one was perfect for Energon Slugslinger.