3D Artwork: Transformers: UK

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by The Librarian, Sep 27, 2010.

1. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

Hmm...long time no post, to borrow a phrase.

Well, for some reason I had the recent urge to build some more Transformers CGI models. And for my subjects, I chose some of the obscure characters who never so much as got a PVC figure but made the UK TF comics so entertaining.

First up, the wily old buzzard himself, Emirate Xaaron. Because, frankly, he's my favourite Autobot leader, bar none.

Comments welcome, and I'm trying out this profile page lark for the first time with TFs, so bear with me.

*Update 19/10/10*
    Just adding a comparison shot with the latest WIP of Impactor, who I should finish soon.

*Update 20/10/10*
    Now with 100% more wrecking and ruling.

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Honestly, I've never cared for Xxaron at all, as a character and as a robot design. However, this is the first time I've even remotely liked him. I really like everything you've don here. It's good to see work from you, and I hope we continue to see more :thumb 

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only TF comics I ever got were the two-part City of Fear ones, and as such I have rather soft spot for Xaaron. Great to see his altmode at long last :D 

4. The Librarian

Heh. Well that's my contribution to the Xaaron Promotion Board sorted out! Glad you like it and I hope to be able to update with another few obscure characters soon.

Funnily enough, those are about the only UK comics I've never got hold of! My first exposure to him would have been the 1984 TF annual, his first appearance.

On the subject of his alt-mode, I have to admit that I've always been a bit suspicious of hovertanks - always thought recoil would be too much of a problem. But somehow, it seem appropriate for Xaaron to be something very smooth and aloof in alt-mode, so hovertank it was!

5. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

This is really impressive. I love the tank mode and the barrel under the armpit in bot mode. I'm almost seeing a beast wars look in the face. Just the right amount of greeble too. More!

6. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Looks like your modeling skills have increased, Librarian! Keep at it!

7. The Librarian

Cheers both!

I am keeping at it but this next model is rather more...complicated. I'm sure he'll need no introduction, being perhaps one of the most memorable obscure UK characters. I still need to add half a ton of detailing but I hope the WIP will show where I'm going with him.

Attached Files:

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember that story, I have the annual tucked away somewhere.

Also, loving what you've done with Impactor.

9. The Librarian

Thanks. He's now nearly done, just a few tiny bits of detail to add, I think. Although I do seem to be havering over the colours a bit.

Added a comparison shot to the first post, to show how big he is compared to Xaaron (eg flipping huge!).

10. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

I really really enjoy looking at the details that you've put into these guys! I must say, these must have taken you a long time, and dear god, these are epic! Good job dude.

11. The Librarian

Thank you, kind sir!

Impactor, now in all his glory!

I should possibly explain that several things influenced this design. First, I wanted to make him huge and physically imposing - built big and square unlike Xaaron, who I made considerably more slender and sleek than he was originally. I therefore played up the blockyness. I also wanted to add in hints of a boxer, particularly in the face, although I'm not sure how well that works. Oh, and I also wanted to make the harpoon removable because, with all due respect to messers Roche and Roberts, I prefer the original idea that he didn't always have it. Colours...well, nothing revolutionary but I didn't want him quite so...hot pink as he was occasionally went in his original run or as orange as he was in Last Stand of the Wreckers (dratit, I need to get hold of that comic...).

Aside from that, I just went where the whim took me and, well...see for yourself...

[​IMG]

And, by the way? That tank is about 4m tall. Over it, in fact. Just so you know...

12. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

I like it, but for some reason i think the abdomen should be a bit more wide. Btw, you really should attatch the images, it makes it easier on all of us.

13. The Librarian

Hmm. Well, unfortunately, there's no room to widen it...but I do see what you mean. Ah well.

And I did attach it, to the first post - I thought loading it up twice would be a bit silly.

14. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Excellent work, really enjoying where you're going with this - and the bios are great, too. :thumb 

Two minor points, if I may - I'd reduce the width of Impactor's mouth, as I reckon it'd work much better with the overall facial structure, and I'd reduce him in height (or make Xaaron bigger); I reckon the Marvel UK stuff had the old boy spot-on at just over 2/3 the height of the larger characters (such as Springer, Magnus, Impactor etc).

But them's just my opines...looking forward to seeing more! :D 

15. The Librarian

Thanks! Glad you like them!

Following your comments, I've scaled Xaaron up by about 10%. I'm not going further since Impactor here is scaled to be able to take on Decepticon jets - I've gone roughly with the Movie sizes - and thus needs to be pretty huge. I think now, I've managed to get Xaaron closer to the scale he has vis Prime and smaller Autobots in the comics though. As for Impactor's mouth...well, I kind of like it like this, so I'm afriad that's staying!

Here's the new scales and a couple of previews of upcoming generics.

Attached Files:

16. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

I noticed Impactor's feet looks like ROTF Megatron's. Intentional?

17. The Librarian

Well, it's not meant to imply any connection but that's definitely where the idea came from.

18. The Librarian

Still plugging away here. Hopefully get some more profiles done soonish.

Bonus points to whoever can identify the two Autotroopers.

Attached Files: