Transformers trilogy: The fan edit

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nemesis Maximus, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Nemesis Maximus

Nemesis Maximus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Warning: A fair old amount of reading will be needed for this post....

OK, so first of all i am going to be straight up, cards on the table. I'm not trying to 'hate', just being honest in order to lead up to my eventual question.

I really didn't like Bays three movies. Im a lifelong Transformers fan so sure, there were moments i loved, that had me geeking out. But i'm also a huge cinema and film nerd (I have degrees in Film and write reviews for a couple of small magazines) and overall I thought each film failed. I found them overlong, juvenile in humour, full of needless scenes, plot holes, etc. There were parts in every film I enjoyed (even- though not much at all- in ROTF) but they weren't really enough.

Now personally, I am kind've of the opinion that a dumb, actiony blockbuster (which, even if Bay had made the movie that I wanted just for me, is still all it would have been) need really be no longer than 90 minutes. The modern tendency nowadays for films to break the two hour mark is also something I don't like. This is just my personal preference I admit, but I don't think a Transformers movie should leave my ass numb in the cinema seat.

Then I read this:

Oh No They Didn't! - Topher Grace Edited The

And the concept interested me. Do you think it wold be possible to edit down the three Transformers movies into one shorter film, that remained satisfying and most importantly comprehensible? What might you leave in, what might you cut? Could it be done? Could a version be made that even the staunchest geewunner could hold his hands up and say 'ok yeah, that was cool?'

Just wondering. Think it might make an interesting project....

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Maybe 2 films, but yeah, there is quite a bit of shit that doesn't need to be in the films. You can remove every scene with Milo from the first film, Sam's class presentation, a lot of Bobby Bolivia, most of the "hackers", etc...

From ROTF, some of the college stuff for sure.

with DOTM and the other 2, mostly just trimming unnecessary fat off of a lot of scenes.

It would hard to do though, because of the 2 year gap between each film and there's no real "midpoint" (end of first re-edit movie, start of second one), unless you went with Prime dying in ROTF.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Funny, there's a guy around here called Toa Maximus, guess you're his mortal foe by default now. :lol 

On the topic, I don't think much can be done for TF2007, there's just too much plot-related things on most scenes. Maybe:

- Cut Mikaela on Sam's lap after BB turns into his modern camaro form.

- Cut that random fat kids creaming in Arrival To Earth.

As for ROTF:

- Take out Judy and Ron's talk at the star..that shit was just disturbing.

- Take basically everything of the College-related part of the plot, only leaving Sam arriving there [otherwise we'd have some continuity problems], trim Sam having a freakout on the class and Alice attacking him. It's actually surprising how the plot works perfectly fine just like that [and trust me, it gets MUCH better].

- Pick on from Simmon's house directly to them awakening Jetfire, it leaves on a plothole as how they entered there, but I'd rather have that plothole than Leo's toilet humour and Simmon's thong.

- Leave ROTF-Jetfire's rant untouched.

- Then cut the Mikaela landing joke.

- Then go from there directly to Sam and Mikaela looking at the sky, cut out the "going through the egypt borders with an oompa loompa on it" [even though it WAS kind of funny, it's sort of a pointless scene].

- Trim some minutes of the final battle to not make it so damn long.

DOTM suffers from the same thing TF2007: Too much plot-related [or characterization related] stuff on most scenes to change anything at all.

At most:

- Cut out that Latino meltdown thing on Accureta Systems and take out all of Jerry's scenes except the one where he handles Sam his secret file [and the one where he dies, of course].

- Maybe the job-selecting scenes ["Like an asian Col. Sanders, a Man I can trust" and all that], but I'd leave that because it's pretty funny and seems to hammer it home how lost on life Sam is.

- ...Can't think of anything else, all the rest is either crucial to the plot of the movie, crucial to someone's characterization, would create continuity problems or it's just an awesome scene.

4. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

.......Whos's milo?

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    the friend with the dog... Miles, perhaps. (checking....) Yeah, Miles. Utterly pointless character.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking it might be possible to edit each film down to 90 minutes. But I don't think you can make one 90-minute movie out of all three of them.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Their's no way in hell you can edit down the movies.

Their confusing even with every scene in it as it is.

8. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait what? What did I do?

sigd

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Edit Shia out and see if it improves - just a suggestion :D 

10. Nemesis Maximus

Nemesis Maximus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    haha, in cynical 'hater' mode i might suggest that, however i'm trying to avoid those opinions of mine ;-)

However, Sams mother is going on the cutting room floor for sure!

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can I cut out all of ROTF? Really, like if it didn't exist would everything else be null and void? no? ok let's cut it all out lol

12. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just leave the forest battle, and cut out the scene where Optimus dies (that way there's no continuity issues with him magically coming back).

13. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    I already planned on editing 2 and 3 into a more managable size, with less jokes and more dignity. I wouldn't consider making them all into 1 film though.

My only real problem is how I would distribute the edit afterwards.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF would be probably more enjoyable if you cut most of the college crap, dumb jokes, and RUNNAN THRU THE DESERT. And possibly every scene with Devastator so you don't have that dumb deus ex machina.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

If the movies had a fan edit, the bots would be screaming IRONHIDE!!!!!!! NO!!!!!! in every second of DOTM.

16. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    120 minutes of Devestators balls clanging with Hell's Bells playing softly in the background.

////not a hater
    ///// loved the films

17. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    from ROTF, The rail gun, Devastator, and the twins can be cut out.

18. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If I had a better computer I'd try it. Sadly I don't think my computer would have enough memory for something like that.

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Well, this thread lost its way quickly...