transformers transhumanism and technosapiens

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Apr 11, 2010.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

as a adult the very idea of transhumanism and technosapiens in scinence fiction has always fascinated me

i got a question though

just how far could one go in exploring each inthe transformers mythos when it comes to the whole entire transformers multiverse?

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Are you talking about lucid dreaming?

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think he means evolution from organic to cybernetic forms of life, much like Simon Furman was hinting at in his IDW story arc.

zmog

4. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty much the like the Gobots origin ^_^

5. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

in a way one could look at beast machines as being one possible way of exploring the techno sapien angle

6. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

so would that make gorlam prime a gobotron wolrd?

7. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the GoBots were called Go-bings and due to all their wars had damaged the planet to the point where the Last Engineer built machine bodies for them. Becoming the GoBots. This is from memory so I may be a little off.

8. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    I plan on writing a fanfic (or rather, a trilogy of fanfics) that will have this as one of the main themes. It follows on from the live action movies (so I have to wait for the third one to come out) and essentially forms a sequel trilogy, dealing with the effects of Cybertronic technology on the human race overall, and how they eventually hit the technological singularity. I don't want to spoil everything, but I plan on taking the angle pretty far.

9. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty close. Pretty much Gobotron was hit by an asteroid (Due to the Renegades) and the whole race went all "dinosaur", so the Last Engineer transfered all the brains of his people into the Gobot bodies we know today.

10. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Robotix also had the same deal going, except with downloaded personalities as opposed to straight full-conversion cyborgs like the Go-bots.

YouTube - Robotix cartoon opening.

I find it amusing the show's intro shows the Terrorkors kicking ass all over the Protectons.

I recall one episode overtly referenced the fact that they were only "braintapes", with the Protectons' leader, Argus, having his mind erased by the Terrorkors. The humans simply uploaded a fresh backup and off he went.

The implications were stunning and of course, ignored in the context of the show.

By the way, that show is chock-full of TF voice actors. Cullen, Welker, Caroli, Burton, and Bell all did voices, with Cullen as Nemesis, the Terrorkor leader. He had his very own cross between Soundwave and Starscream too; Tyrannix, voiced by Welker. The character was mostly loyal but did overthrow Nemesis on one occasion.

Youtube has some actual eps posted.

This fits into this discussion because the characters downloaded their minds into the robot bodies because their sun was "going nova". Okay, that would have destroyed their world utterly, it looks more like it flared very drastically. The Protecton leader also about lost his shit when he realized he'd been downloaded into a robot body, while Nemesis reveled in his new form and saw it as a great chance to continue his conquest of the galaxy.

It raises the question of what, exactly, would be happening. Copying a mind into a powerful, potentially immortal body is great for the copy, but what of the original being?

- Coeloptera

11. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find the topics interesting.

Transhumanism from what I can remember is the use of technology to improve human physical and mental capabilities, some even put it at helping evolve mankind to the the next level through science.

Techno sapiens from what I can find is human beings becoming more and more reliant on technology, such as cell phones, laptops, i pads, PDAs etc. This becomes even more interesting when we find out people now a days have started embedding chips in their bodies to access technology. This trend is probably going to continue.

It hits home because its happening now.

12. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

Quintessons is some kind of technosapiens.

13. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

actually when it coems to the subject of technosapiens and transhumanism i was thinking more along the lines of a person who has had their mind memmories and personality and life force preserved in such a way that that person continues to exist inthe living wolrd due to the technology keeping that person alive beyond the death of their physical mortal body

kind of like what happened to abraham dantes characer when he became a cybertronian technology augmenred human hybrid being

14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been playing with an idea for a Gobots fic that sort of deals with these issues, but in more of a reverse way. Since the Gobots began life as organic beings, I would think that coming to Earth would incite all kinds of unrest among the population of Gobotron. With organic DNA to sample, they could potentially create organic bodies for themselves and transfer their brains/minds back into those to live out normal lives. I have to imagine that not everyone is happy being a clunky robot. It works well for them since the Go-bings were human looking anyway.

15. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, I did post about Robotix, a show where that was the central theme.

Rom: Spaceknight
    from Marvel comics, did that, but failed to really explore the implications very well.
    Rom

A rogue 2nd generation Spaceknight vaped all of their stored bodies (a Spaceknight is an organic nervous system in an incredibly powerful machine body, the organic remnants were cold-stored for when the war with the Dire Wraiths was over) and they sort of shrugged and decided to play guardian to the titular character and his Earth-suqeeze, who got to get their bodies back.

Now I would think you'd get a lot stronger reactions from beings who were sort of hoping they'd get to have their bodies back when it was all over. The leader of the 2nd gens, Dominor, actually did commit suicide when his was destroyed.

- Coeloptera

16. SMOG

Wow, ROM and Robotix? We must be exactly the same age. :) 

I seem to recall that throughout the ROM series, his sense of longing for his human remains was often vocalized. The lament of a post-human was at the core of the series... though later, when the war on Earth was over, and he went around the cosmos gathering up the various errant Spaceknights, it did seem like many of them had all but given up on being human anyway. I believe it came up periodically that ROM was always the "most human" of the Spaceknights, at least in the poetic sense.

Speaking of ROM... damn, I wonder if that series would be as good now as it was when I was a kid. There were very few mainstream Marvel comics at that point that spooked me as much as some of those ROM stories. The Dire Wraiths (especially the females) were frickin' SCARY. Hard to believe it all stemmed from a comic tie-in for a fairly lame electronic robot toy.

zmog

17. SMOG

double post

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Marvel desperately needs to work out the rights so we can get an Essential ROM or three.

19. SMOG

I would buy it! :D 

zmog