Transformers tpb recommendations?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by DigitalDreamer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer Well-Known Member

I'm a long time fan of transformers and would like to start getting into the comics. What tpbs are like must reads? (From marvel,uk and idw)

2. DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer Well-Known Member

anyone?

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Um, all of them?

Titan trades:
    Beginnings
    Matrix Quest
    All Fall Down
    End of the Road
    Dark Designs
    Rage in Heaven

DW:
    War Within
    Generation One
    Generation One Vol. 2
    Generation One Vol. 3 (don't know if this was ever released)

IDW:
    All of them. Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Devastation, etc, etc.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i haven't read anything else but idw. on the whole i'm satisfied with their comics starting from infiltration all the way through present day. the spotlights are the best but are really just complements to the main stories. for a good standalone tpb, try megatron: origin. otherwise i'd say start from the beginning and don't stop until you get into the most recent ongoing. there's something in IDW's run for everyone.

5. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most are actually at the least entertaining, if not downright excellent. I'd highly recommend any of the Marvel stuff, esp. the UK stories (but to understand them fully, they need to be read in the context of the US stories (they were designed to fit into the ongoing continuity).

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Furman's run on the Marvel US stuff is excellent, so definitely worth getting those trades and the G2 series trades. The earlier Marvel US stuff averaged out to be fairly good, although some of the issues are terrible, here and there. The Galvatron arc ("Target: 2006" through "Time Wars") is very good reading in the UK series and the rest is decent. After "Time Wars", the Titan trades start skipping around the UK series a little, covering earlier stuff and short arcs left out of the Galvatron arc. If you're trying to read all the UK stuff in chronological order, you'll be going back and forth between trades a lot.

DW's stuff was also good, but probably not worth bothering with since few of the stories actually finished. The two More Than Meets the Eye profile trades are excellent, though, and definitely worth getting.

I liked IDW's early stuff (the "-ation" series and accompanying Spotlights), so those are good to get in trades as well. I haven't read anything of theirs past the end of "Maximum Dinobots", though.

8. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

You left one out:

Primal Scream