TransFormers Toys & Related Media

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KAGE, Apr 11, 2010.

1. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    My sole reason for buying any toy now n'days is for its supported media rather it be comics, games or a television show.

My toy collection just started as an Optimus Prime collection, mainly buying Optimus and related characters such as Optimus Primal. But then came the Classics Series of Transformers. It got me excited seeing new characters remade with modern transforming 'technology', and the first time in a while I started to buy figures besides Optimus Prime.

Slowly my interest in them started to fade but FansProject showed up with their awesome and got me back into the series again, same for the Henkei line. It's not that I don't like the figures, it's just hard to keep interest in them without supported media.

Now Transformers Animated comes into the picture and I get into the series a little too late when it comes to collecting the figures so it's a little hard trying to catch up. But not so much anymore thanks to the Japanese line and this local shop I go to!

The point I'm trying to make is that I find myself waisting money because I loose interest in these figures to the point where there a nuisance to look at and I want to get rid of them. I was born in the 80's so I didn't start seriously collecting Transformers until the Beast Wars. Watching the shows on TV got me excited about the toys and I had every character on the show besides Inferno, Scorponok and Terrorsaur. I even tried the movie line for a while but most of those figures are kind'a ugly.

So when it comes to Transformers collecting now, my main focus are the comics. I'm also trying to start up an oldskool G1 collection as well and get caught up on Animated....

Basically, I just wanted to know have any of you been turned off by Transformers because of it's related media or lack of.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    When I don't really have interest in a certain figure, but his appearance in a media is awesome, I always end up buying the figure.

When I watched ROTF and hated it, I seriously considered giving up on collecting the ROTF line. Yes, that's how much I hated the movie on the first watch. :p  Thankfully, I continued and added alot of great bots to my collection. Still refuse to buy Wheelie, though.

3. KAGE

News Credits:
    I didn't really hate the movie but after watching it like 100 times realize how silly it was when it came to plot, the fighting was always good stuff!

But I know what you mean by the characterizations, I've been tempted many times to buy the Twins (Ice Cream Truck) cause it's just bad ass! :lol 

Seriously thinking about getting this when I get some extra money!
    Autobot Skids and Mudflap (Shanghai Showdown) - ROTF Main Line - Transformers Resources

Wheelie was cool too but like most ROTF figures he's just ugly.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I didn't really mind his design in either mode, but I really hated his vulgar Joe Pesci mode. I may eventually cave in and buy the legends version, since that one has a cuter face.

I disagree with the figures being ugly, though. Not saying all of them are great, but I can really appreciate the different aesthetic of the moviebots..some figures like leader Prime, dlx Lockdown, even Demolishor (because he's so radically different..just too bad he has no good articulated arms) are high on my list.

I think I bought purple Animated Shockwave for the sole fact that he appeared in the cartoon. Well played Hasbro, well played.

5. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After Beast Wars; Throwbots and Bionicle were taking hold in the toy world and those held my interest for quite a while. Adding to that, Beast Machines just looked silly and the designs for the Armada transformers looked so...different from what I'd been used to that I didn't bother following anything TF related until the movie came around. Needless to say, that ended up dragging me back into the abyss.

6. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should read up the bile-filled rants of Johnator and Tie Bomber.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Not really. It's about the toys first for me, so my choosing not to collect WfC has little to do with the game and completely to do with the toys' design and aesthetic. I'm sure the game is going to be great, but that's really not going to influence me buying the toys.

Same way with Animated. It was a decent show, but I simply don't care for the toys' design and aesthetic.

I liked the movies (yes, plural), but the character designs work far better on-screen than on a 5-6 inch figure.

8. KAGE

News Credits:
    I'm with you on that!
    I would say most Movie figures not "all" IMO.

I knew I would run into someone like you! Not that liking toys first is a bad thing.....brain fart cant remember what I wanted to say :confused: 

Example: If the WFC game is good and they make a toy of a character I like but the figure is ugly I would buy it for the sole reason that I liked that character, I just may keep the figure MIB.

Only in the Beast Wars did I like a toy of a character that was not in the show.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I get what you're saying here, not due to poor grammar. Are you speaking of buyers remorse? That you just tire of displaying certain figures? Perhaps you're saying that without say a new source of fiction to keep your interest up, you wane in your enjoyment of the toys since the media has gone, shall we say, stale?

Lack of, no. Universe/Classics is a clear testament of that technically speaking. In addition I never finished watching Cybertron/Galaxy Force, yet I never stopped getting figures I liked from the series.

Related media, yes. I'm sure had I not utterly loathed the movie franchise I'd have given the movie toys a greater chance. The question therein however is how much of it is due to my intense dislike of the movie and how much of it is due to my dislike of the movie aesthetic.

However, beyond all that a major factor in the toy purchase is if I actually like the toy. Despite my detesting of the movie, I still have and enjoy ROTF Legends Jolt, Scouts Baron Ransack Von Joy, Ejector, Rollbar, and Voyager Megatron, who I all enjoy. I can enjoy the fiction without any toys, I can enjoy the toys without any fiction. That said, a good toy is a good toy, which is also of tremendous importance for my buying habits. It doesn't matter how great the fiction is to me, because of my opinions on the toys, Armada Side Swipe is a horrid and I'll never get him or any of his redecos while conversely, it doesn't matter how bad the fiction is, Big Convoy is a fantastic toy who I've got the original, the redeco as Black Big Convoy and as Universe Nemesis Prime.

10. KAGE

News Credits:
    No matter how old the show, if I like it then I still like it now so it's not the question of the media becoming 'stale'.

Buyers remorse and having to do with media to keep my interest up. The classics line is a cool line to look at but, I've been off and on with this line for a while.

For one reason that various character designs are splattered all over various comic series. And another reason would be how often a figure gets reused and repainted is also a turn off. CityCommander aside I feel like I will never own a TRUE Ultra Magnus thats not a white Optimus Prime, Onslaught as Hardhead, Silverbolt as Darkwing & Skyjack etc...

In the end I guess my beef is with the Classics/Henkei line and how incomplete it feels due to the amount of repaints.

11. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I to have been drawn to the line for the toys more than the media. I'm more fascinated with the many ways the designers @ Has/Taktom can find to fold up some robot into a vehicle of some sort. The media is more of a way to embellish the figure for me than a deal breaker of buying a certain figure.

12. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

I buy toys to represent movies and tv shows I love. Army of Darkness, Nightmare on Elm St., T2, etc...

The same rule applies to TFs for me. If all they had were the toys, I probably would never buy them because I'm a fan of the ficton.

What, you think I actually play with my toys?

13. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think some amount of that is due to the fact that Hasbro's focusing on giving the MAJOR characters their own molds when necessary and settling for releasing the slightly more obscure ones via repaint. Really, from a company perspective it's a safe bet, and for the sake of accuracy; some repaints (Cliffjumper, Smokescreen, Silverstreak, Ultra Magnus) do work on a basic level.

(I know the lack of an official UM trailer/armor set was frustrating, but it was rather accurate as he IS just a white Prime underneath all that :p )

14. KAGE

News Credits:
    Ditto! :thumb 

Yeah I understand all that completely but it's still annoying :[