Transformers Toys D20 Game System (simple rules for battling your figures)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by smeagolsaur, Feb 11, 2009.

1. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

Hi Guys,

I created a set of rules so that you can battle your Transformers figures against each other. The rules are quite simple and are based on the figure's tech specs (the stats found on the back of the box).

I've been told about the Mekton Z system, but that's too complicated for my interests. I wanted a simple system that utilizes the toys' tech specs and this is what I came up with - a game that you can play with one die, a ruler, and 30 minutes of your time, at most.

I hate math so I tried to make the system as simple as possible. The highest level of math required is simple division, and that's only for a few select actions.

It's all pretty straight forward and based on die-rolling, so once you get the hang of it the math is quite painless.

Try it out and leave comments, suggestions, etc!

http://sites.google.com/site/transformersd20/

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got no problems with the Mekton rules.
    and if that don't work, I'd modify BattleTech rules a bit.

3. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

That's great, you should keep playing Mekton if you find it enjoyable.

But if there's anyone out there that doesn't want to invest the time required for Mekton, and wants to do more than stare at his figs and has 30 minutes to kill, my rules can lead to a pretty fun bash-em-up battles.

4. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

Interesting factoid about this game: Starscream is quite powerful and tends to annihilate any reasonable combination of opponent toys.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There was a D20 sourcebook that, although unlicensed, was designed to make Transformers in a D20 modern setting, complete with gestalts, minicons, and triple changers.

It was called Mechamorphosis, and you might be able to find a copy somewhere. It's definitely worth checking out.

6. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

warhammer 40 rules are also alot of fun when you know them already!

7. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

Thanks I'll have to check that out.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not too interested in learning the rules of 40k. It just seems like half of the game is just learning how to play the damn thing. That's why my game is kinda neat - really simple rules that make for simple but fun gameplay.

8. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

What about figures like Unicron and Primus, who have their stats listed as ?, meaning above 10?

9. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

That's a great question.

I formulated these rules based on the line of movie figures. So toys like Unicron, Primus, and any other figures that do not conform to the 1-10 value tech spec scale OR the scout/deluxe/voyager/leader size scale are not playable in my game..... YET!

10. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

Here are some pics from playing the game last week:

[​IMG]
    So we decided to do a 3-on-3 battle; we each chose one leader class, one voyager class, and one deluxe class.
    [​IMG]
    This is about 2 rounds into the game. The figures have moved in closer to each other and started volleying shots. I also successfully transformed Optimus & Starscream so that they're prepared to melee.
    [​IMG]
    A couple rounds later, Optimus has been hurt badly due to the focusing of all three opponents' firepower.
    [​IMG]
    Soon it comes down to a showdown between Megatron & Brawl. We agree to fight like men, fisticuffs-style. We roll to transform.
    [​IMG]
    Megatron transforming. (Defeated Starscream is collapsed in the foreground).
    [​IMG]
    The final showdown between Megatron & Brawl. At first it appears to be a fair fight but it soon becomes apparent that Megatron will win without contest. His overwhelming specs allow him to pummel Brawl into a pile of scrap.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the requisite items for playing the game: pen & paper, D20, toy cards.
    Optional: Tasty bevvies.

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This is like the greatest amalgamation of geekiness ever rolled into one singular package. Playing with toys while doing math and rolling a D20 while posting instructions on the internet?

Sheer. Awesome.

I'd so try this out if I knew anyone else who played with transformers :lol 

12. smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur Member

Haha. I'm not gonna lie: it's pretty nerdy.

Just balance it out by chugging beers and driving fast cars.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Aww, there goes my team of:

Car Robots Devil Gigatron
    Energon Dreadwing
    Galaxy Force Noisemaze

Also, note that there's 10+ and ? as well, two different attributes. Also, what of Animated and a few other sublines, who don't have tech specs?

Similarly, many of the leader class figures get a double bonus with recent tech specs for Prime and Megatron being all or nearly all 10s, which under your system get the max amount of endurance bonus for their size, and then all those 10's to juice themselves up.

Ditto. At least once just for fun.

Though your rules do seem to penalize a character for being a smaller class while rewarding a larger size figure. Again, while this is obviously geared towards movie toys, there's also a larger size classes, and you left out Legends and FABs. You also haven't worked in any way to utilize certain TF's special abilities (yet?). Also what of characters that can split into mulitple parts, like Energon Omega Supreme or G1 Optimus Prime. Can Prime leave his trailer/battlestation parked 15 inches away, while the cab/main robot closes the distance and transforms to melee while Roller deploys out to attack as well, allowing the person playing as G1 Prime 2 ranged and a single melee attack in one round from Prime alone? Or whatabout other characters who can become a larger/more powerful robot, like Powermaster Prime or Energon Powerlinking?

Out of all the RPGs I've seen for TFs, this one isn't too bad, though I vastly prefer one that a member here came up with ages ago that I beta "tested" with him back before the Unicron Trilogy. All you needed was dice and a tech spec and a good GM.