Transformers Toy Subscription

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by icefox, Jun 7, 2011.

1. icefox

icefox Black GFC

For the past few years I have been pondering making a Transformers Toy subscription service so I could stop wasting so much gas hunting for the toys and missing some really good ones and paying *way* to much after the fact.

Sign up to one more lines of transformers and at the end of every month (or various other schedules) the toys would be shipped out to you.

There could be plenty of toy lines such as: RTS, Prime, TF3, KRE-O, Masterpiece, iGear, Fansproject, etc (or even just the line of the best sellers).

And they could be shipped out whenever a new toy came in, monthly (has a nice ring to it), pile of loot style, etc.

Would anyone else be not just interested in this type of service, but use it? What line(s) would you want to subscribe to or other features that would be a must?

2. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro mentioned a Subscription service at Botcon this year on more than one occasion.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    That would be awesome. It really would. Especially if it came from the source, Hasbro itself. It would get around the retailer distribution problem for sure.

4. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

hmm, I don't remember that. however, I don't remember a lot of things. The idea of a line subscription is great for the complete-ist collector. I would be worried that the concept might be abused at some point if it gained enough subscribers (i.e. unwanted repaints or molds being pushed on subscribers). Still, overall, I think it is a very good idea for some collectors

5. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    It would be great for people who want to complete lines and worthless for everyone else. I would rather Hasbro spend resources on getting their online shop into a position to serve the collector market properly. I don't see why I can't buy straight from the source without having to place my order in the 10 minutes something is available for purchase. You'd think Hasbro would WANT more direct ordering as they can get full retail price for their units as opposed to whatever reduced price they sell them to retailers.

So that's my dream...an online Hasbro shop with enough stock to make the hunt obsolete.

6. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it was at the Club Roundtable and somewhere else.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Mattel is doing it and Hasbro is going to do it with GI Joe. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a matter of time until it's Transformers turn to get a subscription service.

8. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use to do this with SW figures a few years ago through Brianstoys.com. Everytime a new wave came out they'd ship it out to me and just charge my card. But TFs are different since they put some figures in multiple waves.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd have to see prices before I signed up.

It is an attractive idea, however.

10. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

Ahh, that explains it, I wan't at that panel. Thanks

11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It was mentioned during a couple of panels. It's being tried first with GI Joe and if it's successful they may expand it further. No details were given as to what the subscription service might consist of.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think it's a good concept and I would be interested in exploring it.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good concept, but for anyone outside of the us, not cost effective at all

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    It's definitely interesting. I'd probably want in if such a service came into existence.

15. icefox

icefox Black GFC

Was it Hasbro or the TFCC that was talking about doing this? I saw that the GIJCC is going a subscription service, but is is a simple 12 toys + 1 bonus so I could see TFCC doing the same thing.

16. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I'd have my doubts about it happening as long as HTS is around in it's current format.

HTS are fairly inept, and Hasbro don't own them either.

17. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    It makes the most sense for the TFclub. So if people want to blind order the entire years exclusives with an option to hit all the expansion sets at botcon registration they can order it blind. Fans are crazy completionist like that and it may even eventually help funpub know how to prevent shortages with those preorders.

Hasbro toy shop deserves more exclusives to draw people to it. Things that they are having trouble shopping out to retailers like the Animated Voyagers. They can just shake their own hands and put it up there.
    But I don't feel a subscription service is what I want from Hasbro.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HTS would also have to improve their packaging QC; they are iffy on how they pack their figures for shipping and for those that want MISB for display, have a reason to be concerned.

but a subscription service would be nice.
    i wouldn't mind paying a memership fee (a minor one) just to get emails when the new stuff is coming and having first shot at getting it.

actually, being able to receive a form from Hasbro, with a checklist, mark what i want, leave blank what i don't want, and return it. within 24 hours get a receipt from them, knowing in 7-10 days i have 'em.

love this idea.

19. icefox

icefox Black GFC

This seems like the natural place to start. Setting up a initial site that has lists and can notify you asap when the item comes up for pre-order on the various sites would be a good way to really gauge how much interest there is in a full blown subscription service.

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd have to look at the pricing and the specifics before saying whether I thought it was a good idea or not.