Transformers toy line for GIRLS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MartyFeeb, Dec 31, 2016.

?

Girl-centric TF toyline/cartoon?

1. Awesome idea! I'm on board!

29 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. Meh... I don't know... could be good or bad...

55 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Terrible idea. This would hurt the brand and/or fail badly.

93 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. MartyFeeb

MartyFeeb Wait... it's a bug?!

News Credits:
    What do you guys think of launching a TF line, aimed purely at girls? Similar to how Mattel is doing DC SUPER HERO GIRLS, shouldn't Hasbro consider launching a TF line for girls?

I envision more female characters (obviously), pastel colors like pink and lavender (akin to the colors/designs of Nerf Rebelle), and a story line that appeals to girls more. Whether that's a story of friendship and magic (i.e. MLP), or a story of female Autobots kicking butt... that's up to Hasbro's team.

For fans, I think this venture would mean more toy options! Not the best comparison, but I'm sure everyone remembers the TF Kiss line - this would be even better, as a large departure from the main continuity that featured eccentric designs and ideas!

Furthermore, there are a number of us with daughters and the difficult task of getting them interested in a largely male-dominated, "boy" toy line. We have how many female characters to introduce girls to? And how many of those have actual toys to show young girls?

I think this is a great way to expand the TF audience, similar to how Nintendo expanded the gaming audience with their Wii console (which was arguably aimed at girls and older folk!). By introducing a girl line of TFs, Hasbro could really grow the brand and even improve movie ticket sales (which is a big consideration/factor for the company!). Don't we already have several female artists/writers in the IDW community that could contribute to this project? :) 

Let me know what you guys think. Hate the idea, love the idea - just express yourself intelligently and try to offer constructive criticisms. I hope threads like this can help convince Hasbro of the viability of TF-for-Girls. It would definitely be a welcome surprise to find girls at a TF convention that aren't lost or searching for a short-packed leprechaun! :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  2. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Only thing I've seen from female transformer fans are yaoi Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker fan art.

• Like Like x 3
  3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Short packed leprechaun?

4. Inciteful

Inciteful Hides in the Shadows

News Credits:
    I see this as a hit or miss opportunity. There would have to be more female characters created obviously. Not sure how well it would translate to the girl audience unless they were dolls or something interactive with it like a Furby et al.

It "could" work if they introduce a female character with a prominite role in the next Bumblebee movie. Then spin off that with her own series et al. Doesn't necessarily need to be movie-verse based but just to get the idea out there and gauge interest.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Why cant girls who like Transformers...just like Transformers? Why does there need to be a "girl's line"? I have several female friends who like Transformers and they have never once said "Transformers needs to have a girly subline".

• Like Like x 68
  6. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Totally. I honestly think the line just needs a bit more/better female representation.

• Like Like x 15
  7. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    i can see this fail so much, and just never happen in japan to begin with, remember how they turned airrazor into a guy because female robots that are not sexy or cute androids arent popular there, so, as a Hasbro exclusive kind of serie, yeah maybe, still a very ankward move to dissociate the customers into two distinctives brands.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shakespearean Saurian

Shakespearean Saurian Momentary Maximal

THIS so much! I grew up with G1 (I used to run home from school to watch the show) and am a Beast Wars fan (which I saw when it first aired, as an adult). I can understand wanting more well written/fleshed out female characters , (and I feel the TF Universe needs them), but IMHO I don't see a need for a "girly" line. If characters are thought out and well done from their inception, they'll draw fans nonetheless. Personally, I like flawed, complex characters--male or female. But that's just my:2c: 

And FWIW, I think as a kid I disliked Elita One and Arcee just because they were pink. I liked Ironhide! :D 

• Like Like x 7
  9. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably the closest thing you'll see as girl centric transformers would be MLP that transform into their Equestria Girl selves.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Rescue bots is bad enough. We don't need a subline for girls, we don't need a subline for kids, we just need Transformers.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Megasquared

News Credits:
    Yeah god forbid Hasbro tries to sell a line of toys to children. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

• Like Like x 11
  12. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    My daughter's loved Transformers since she was tiny, but I could honestly see more female figures being appealing for little girls. They don't need to be specifically girl-centric or simpler, just with some depth and details equal to the rest of the lines.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mizzinno

News Credits:
    Transformers are for children. My motorskills would be piss poor if I had the same toys kids are being sold today.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Megasquared

News Credits:
    Logic fail.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Mizzinno

News Credits:
    How so? You don't need a subline for someone when the whole line is ment for that person.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Bad idea. Lionel failed with the infamous girl train decades ago because it ironically ignored why girls liked miniature trains in the first place. Hasbro would make the same mistake here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Let Toys Be Toys

Listen y'all. You can debate this if you want, obviously, but please understand that nothing good will come of doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And yet, Rescue Bots is the series that has lasted the longest with the most episodes. A subline for girls could work or it could be bad, it really depends on how it's handled. There were some fans who were against Rescue Bots and look how that turned out, an overwhelming success.

Would your motorskills be poor because of the 10-20 steps it takes to Transform Warriors, Deluxes, voyagers...etc. Even with the one steps we had the equivalent in G1, Jump Starters and Throttle Bots come to mind, not to mention most of G1 figures could be transformed in 6 steps are less. Beast Wars had basics and Animated and Activators. I think you're looking at Transformers as an adult because you personally want more complex figures and not taking into consideration that kids may not want more complex figures. Hasbro does the research, they know what they're doing, clearly one-steps are doing alright as they're coming back for Combiner line for RiD.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cutestprincess

cutestprincess Well-Known Member

I kinda like the idea in theory, at least in the sense that they'd actually be FORCED to put more effort into making more girl characters and not treat pink like some sort of Forbidden Color in toys (lookin at u, prime arcee)

In practice, I don't trust hasbro to execute it well at all. Even if a tie in tv show doesn't suck. I see them dedicating very little effort into promoting it or its toyline, using it as an excuse to make the mainline series even worse about having female characters, and using any potential failure of said line as an excuse to not give a shit about girls.

Basically, the problem isn't them targeting girls directly, but that I don't trust hasbro with the execution at all. As such, I'd appreciate them just staying the course they've been on for the past while and keep putting more effort into adding more girl characters to the main toylines, preferably with a greater variety of body types and personalities than they have typically used in the past

• Like Like x 1
  20. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Stupidest idea I ever heard in my life(well maybe not in my whole life) why the hell does transformers have to be gender specific?! Transformers is for all. TBH I think those DC dolls are nice and if I were still collecting non transformers I would buy them cause they ain't super sexy like all the figures tend to want to be.

• Like Like x 4