Transformers Toy Evolution

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Renidragon, May 7, 2006.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I think this is worth a looksee.

We started off with G1. Essentially, bricks, that could move their arms up and down (while this is the general rule, yes, I know there are a number of notable exceptions). Nevertheless, they were still awesome. These were our first toys that were, really, three in one - there was a robot, a car, and a character from the cartoon.

Time passes. Now... after G1, I personally was no longer a real TF fan. I'd get excited to see G1 episodes on TV, I bought the movie on VHS for $20 (which suddenly makes me feel old)... bbut that was it. As for the shows, Cybertron has been the first series I've followed since the first episode since G1. To you fans of the other serieses on TV, I apologize. I know. I'm a blasphemer. Forgive me.

But my point is the toys. AFter G1 was way over, a number of years passed. Finally, I bought my first Transformer with my own money and without my parents around (when you're a little kid and get a check for $50, you can't really buy an Ultra Magnus without your parents to help you, you know)... Alt. Silverstreak. I think he may be my favorite TF of all time. AGAIN, I'm getting away from the point. Alternators are created with car accuracy and articulation as their primary goals (or so I'm lead to believe)... I'm thinking mainline TFs.

So I'll start a paragraph that's more on point. After G1 we had RiD, I think? Then Beast Wars, Beast Machines, then Armada? Am I right? Or was RiD before the Beast era? Ugh. Well, I'm just putting this piece in for you guys who know more about it. My knowledge of mainline TF toys starts with Energon.

Which is actually where I'm about to start. I had four Alts by the time I was given my first Energon toy as a gift. I knew it wouldn't be anywhere near as cool as an Alternator, so I didn't really have very high hopes. Maybe that's why I was AMAZED when I transformed the toy. Said toy was E. Barricade, who, in hindsight, really isn't all that special.

But WHY isn't he that special? TFs have been evolving since G1. G1 was the start. The could move. Barely. But they were still two toys in one. By RiD, we had ball joints all over the place (my only experience is with the Car Brothers toys, so bear with me)... this was awesome, but, admittedly, a little much. I love the car brothers toys, but I can see how the toys are not targetted correctly. While I have very little experience with Armada, I've seen pictures, and there's already a number of toys I can transform without having ever seen them in person. It was dumbed down to be more accessible... while not quite what RiD was, there was a certain simplicity to the toys that made them charming, much like G1... but they had articulation. They could move at their elbows AND their shoulders. They had knees AND hips!

Energon came next and made Armada look like McDonald's toys.

Then Cybertron came next and... well, look at the amazing toys we have from THAT line. From my personal opinion, we've got Downshift, Hot Shot, Red Alert, Sideways, SO many basics, Soundwave, Evac, Mudflap... this is just a paltry slice of the pie of toys that are far above "average"... Hell, look at the shelfwarmers these days - Mudflap and CD Red Alert. Override and Red Alert were the only deluxe sized shelfwarmers I've ever seen, and I don't see them anymore. I haven't seen a particularly good example of a basic shelfwarmer. Mudflap and CD Red Alert are probably only warming shelves because of their price and their deceptively "meh" alt modes... these guys are both GREAT toys.

This is leading me to wonder... with each toyline getting better and better as time goes on... what do you think the future holds in store for us? Just thinking about how much better Cybertron is as compared to Energon gives me the willies when I think about the G1 Classics...

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    G1 -> G2 -> Beast Wars/Machine Wars -> Beast Machines -> RID -> Armada -> Energon -> Cybertron

That's the way the lines went. At least in the US.

Anyway... yeah, it's kind of exciting to see what's going to come next.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Eh. I dont like how the main lines have been evolving. I walk by the Cybertron suff and just dont care. Then I go stright to the Alts which are all currently Skids. The colors they choose, the alt modes, and even the bot modes just dont interest me. The Alts are great because for the most part, the bot modes look good, the alt modes are realistic. The Alts have the feel of what made G1 great. Realistic cars, cool looking bots, and no stupid gimicks. The way Transformers should be.

The last mainline toy I bought was something from the Energon line that reminded me of G1 Swindle. I wish they would at least release the deluxe sized Starscream here. :(  If I saw that I would buy in a heartbeat.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well I would certainly think you'd want to get downshift and crosswise then, plus armorhide... oh, and excillian as he's a GREAT hot rod homage... or jetfire :p  any of the Earth 'bots (I omit thundercracker as only a minority of us like him)

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've been loving Cybertron for the realistic alt modes. They may not be identifiable as one particular make pr another, but they certainly look something that could exist. As long as I can get well executed probable looking alt modes, I don't need liscensed alt modes.

Thundercracker rules. Hot Shot/Excellion would be okay, if they didn't look like they had one of Doc Brown's inventions on the backs of their alt modes.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Energon Starscream was a Deluxe in both the US and Japan.

http://www.cosmicrust.com/toys/energon/starscream_comparisons.php

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like how they evolved so far, especially by mixing it up with beasts & machines. So many choices.
    Plus tarnishing it all with the optional minicons to beef them up or form a microverse.
    Even the detailing is getting better.
    Strategy these days seems to be 'variety' and I love it.

Bringing back the beasts (BW10th), releasing more planets, (Primus) creating new , original, unique and beautiful car modes (Crosswise & Hotshot) , realistic modes (Alts/BTs) , pure die cast (Titanium) and mixing up the franchises (Star Wars). etc etc

Im overwhelmed and loving it. The sad part is I wish I had more money for it. But it's nice to have all the choices.

Was blown away by Energon and how poseable & durable they all were , and how they all combined.

Obviously they'll never make em perfect in our eyes but as time goes by Hastak should continue listening to our cries

8. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I actually did a speech on this in my college (yes, after all these years I have gone back) speech class about a month or so ago. Aced the speech too. :rock 

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

whoops mybad. I meant the deluxe Cybertron Starscream. The onle that looks like its from The War Within. The only Cybertron Starscream I saw in stores was the huge one. :( 

10. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Yeah really a good evolution in the toy making though I have slowly been growing out of the line, yes I woudl like the smaller Starscream for Cybertron (and correct scheme not the thrust looking colors) and trying order that sucker is a good bite out of the wallet.

Yeah the Neo Classic and the Titanium lines (diecast TFs WHOO HOO) are what I'm waiting for now. If I spot a GF/Cy Soundwave I'm buying him though.

11. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The smaller Starscream is a Voyager (Mega) class toy - Like Vector Prime, Mudflap and Evac.

12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I stopped with transformers completely with Armada and Alts. I would have cleaned house with the reissues if they weren't initially so damn expensive. I never cared for Energon or Cyberton. Perhaps the next line will be better, but I doubt it.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The smaller Cybertron Starscream is a Voyager (Mega), not a Deluxe.

And Hasbro released him in the US, as part of a TRU-exclusive two-pack with Vector Prime.

http://www.tfu.info/2005/Decepticon/TRUStarscream/starscream.htm

http://www.tfw2005.com/gallery/Toys-Cybertron-Decepticons-StarscreamTRU