"Transformers" to thrive in sequel-soaked summer

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mblase, May 24, 2007.

1. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

I got to go see "Shrek 3" with my family last night (I'm now 100000 (base 2) years old, w00t) and was soundly unimpressed. Bah. Not enough action, not enough character, not enough coherence, not enough snap to the jokes.

Already saw "Spider-Man 3", and enjoyed it, but I agree with Sam Raimi that the studio shouldn't have made him use Venom this time around. It was good, but would have been better with just Sandman and Goblin.

And the early reviews for "Pirates of the Carribbean 3" aren't being too kind, either.

Blockbuster trilogies are getting so predictable it's sad. 1=good, 2=great, 3=WTF happened. Remember "X-Men 3"? Sucked hard, and I'm not even sure it would have been better with Brian Singer on board. "Matrix 3" wasn't bad, but no one was overwhelmed, either.

Only two notable recent exceptions come to mind: "The Lord of the Rings", which was designed more like one movie than a trilogy anyway; and the "Star Wars" prequels, which only went from bad to worse to worst.

In a summer like this, we can only look forward to the new stuff. "Transformers" cometh in early July, and "Ratatouille" opens just one week before it. Transfans, it's now quite likely that people will remember "Transformers" as the only blockbuster of this summer that was worth watching.

If only I could get truly excited about "Stardust", but I already know what to expect from any summer movie that opens in August.

2. Ritesh_Prime

Ritesh_Prime THE PHIL!

News Credits:
    I agree except I enjoyed the Star Wars Prequels.

Transformers will be the blockbuster smash ever! Well thats what I think anywayz lol

3. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

I hope TRANSFORMERS ia a good movie first and a blockbuster smash second.

I feel like i'm the only person who enjoyed Spiderman 3 which seemed to do pretty well opening week.

4. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers is gonna do great! It's trailers are far better than any trailer for any other movie this year. Everyone will want to see it!

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Here, here! It's going to be the best EVER!!! It's got to, if they're going to be doing sequels of it.

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I think TRANSFORMERS should be the biggest hit for the simple reason it isn't a sequel, but people are so unpredictable.
    We can have dozens of 'average' to 'poor' reviews for something like SPIDER-MAN 3 (for example), yet people will flock to see it regardless declaring they'll "make their own minds up". Fair enough: That's actually common sense.

But then we have TRANSFORMERS, with even some members of this board saying they'll read the reviews first before deciding to see it.

I just don't get it.

7. Autobot HipHop

That's the hatred talking. They're so "hurt" by bumblebee being a camaro, flaming prime, the shards of megatron etc. I just think they're saying that just because Michael Bay "killed" they're G1 nostalgia. I still think most of them will go see TRANSFORMERS anyways.

But with Spiderman 3, you already had 2 critically acclaimed installments so people felt like they owed it to themselves to go see 3 regardless of the critics. TF is still relatively unknown.

In any event, I hope TFTM 07 kicks butt Grimlock style!

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I'm optimistic, there's some pretty stiff competition in the weeks following.

With Harry Potter opening the following weekend (I think), there is virtually no chance whatsoever that Transformers will be on top for its second weekend.

Maybe it will even make the top five for the year--but it's going to have to have some staying power through July and August if it's going to pull big numbers.

9. LadyGryphonInia

LadyGryphonInia Guest

YEAH ROCK THE TRANSFORMERS!!! FLOOD THE CINEMAS!!!v lol :D 

10. gfan1984

gfan1984 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, after the first week, it's sad to say that transformers will be crashed by Harry Potter. Also from working at the movie theater and talking to the managers in my town, the studio for Harry Potter basically demanded we have at least five screens for their movie, meaning Transformers will probably lose it's screen time.

11. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:

Or maybe they are just being cautious about the movie. You know umlike the 5-6 posts in this thread stating the Tf movie is going to be the best ever.
    Which is on a Tf board with Tf fans. Which is like going to a Spiderman Forum and seeing people claim Spiderman is the best movie ever.

:thumbdown 

I don't care if you love or hate the new movie, as of right now both sides are equally as annoying.

12. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    Well spiderman has TWO movies to back it up. Transformers has nothing. Seems rather simple why people went to go see spiderman. They liked the last 2 and gave this one a chance.

Transformers won't have spiderman numbers, and it won't even have shrek numbers. I am betting on 60-70 million opneing weekend. ( naturally i hope i am wrong, but i don't think so)

You don't get it because your bias towards transformers cloud your judgement. Shocking

13. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

People will go see Transformers for a few reasons:

1) Watched the show/bought the toys/etc. in their Youth & feel nostalgic for them.

2) Saw the trailer while at the movies & thought it "Looks !@#$%'in Sick!".

3) Heard it was worth watching from some source (Friend who saw it, Review in the paper, etc.)

If a movie is good, i.e. the people who go to see it are entertained & leave with that ":eek:  That was awesome." feeling and don't feel as if they got robbed, the movie will be a success.

People like sequels, but not all of them are ever as good as the previous ones.

Let me put it this way:

If Shrek 3, Spider-Man 3 & Pirates of the Carribean 3 all get people to go to the theater & all of them are not as good a movie as their predacesors, then Transformers should have just as much a chance at doing well.

It's opening on 4th of July weekend, so I know there will be some people saying "Yo, I saw that this Transformers movie is out today & the commerical for it looked sick!". If a movie is truely an enjoyable experience on a WIDE scope (i.e. any Tom, Dick or Harry that walks in to see it will enjoy themselves & be blown away), then it should sell well in the theaters.

-Quickswitch

14. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Of coarse this is Transformers fans on a Transformers site saying this.....

And for the record, I liked the Star Wars prequels and X-3 too.

15. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Oh,

16. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Dang, forgot about Potter (being as I personally have absolutely no interest in the character, his films or his books). OTOH, "Transformers" is slightly more likely to attract the young-adult-male-with-a-fetish-for-big-machines-and-gratuitous-explosions audience. :) 

17. Autobot HipHop

How bout the just as equally annoying third side that chastises the other two anti and pro -movie sides and keeps putting up the "beating a dead horse" smiley :)  (which, by doing so is ironically "beating a dead horse" as well...

and then, the fourth side, that chasitises the 3rd...and then....

Gotta love message boards :) 

18. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Tell me about it. Which is why I've chosen to only visit a few times a week. I find that getting away from the boards for a breath of fresh air is better for my health... and my stress levels. Too much arguing on message boards.

Some one please post me a funny pic about internet posting. I could use it right now.