Transformers to face Harry Potter move

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DeceptiKreep, May 30, 2007.

1. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From comingsoon.net .... I, for one, think that the movie might actually stand a chance... what do you all think?

2. Skitch76

Skitch76 Well-Known Member

What's up with all these early releases? I understand that it means more "weekend" revenue, but isn't that going to skew all the stats? I mean, you can't really compare Pirates with its Thursday night take added in to Shrek or Spidey who followed the "traditional" weekend release. It doesn't seem like a fair comparison. Plus, if they all keep it up, everyone's going to release a day or two early just to keep up. = /

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Didn't we already argue over this? I'm personally looking forward to HP-GOF more than TFTM-07. Either way I plan on seeing both in theatres.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say we make a mass effort as a fandom to go see Transformers again during Harry Potter's opening weekend.

All those who support the movie should make an effort to go out during that 5 day span starting on Weds, July 11th to see Transformers for their second, third, or fifth time!

I know I will be in the theater that weekend to once again, support Transformers.

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

If only it could be a literal battle between TRANSFORMERS and that 'Potter' thing. Our robot pals would take down that wand-wielding twerp in an instant.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm definitely game.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed. I have no doubt I will be attending multiple showings in the weeks following Botcon.

This is a fairly significant blow, though... TF is going to need to have some staying power in the weeks following its release, and HP is going to be impossible to beat. Simpsons will be coming after that, Bourne, Die Hard, etc...

I've tried to sit through two of those HP movies, and I really, really don't get the appeal. He can't even do anything. The whole time I'm thinking, "Shoot some fire! Blow something up! Give someone the Vader-choke! Anything!"

8. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I've decided that I will go and see TF again after Potter opens for two reasons: First, it'll almost certainly be quieter with everyone falling over themselves to see HP and secondly, just out of petty spite on my part. Rowling's not getting any of my money!
    I admit that I have an 'anti-Potter' gene myself, although it's born of frustration more than anything else: The times I've been told to "grow up" by an adult Potter fan just because I'm into STAR TREK simply beggers belief!

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Methinks Harry Potter will crush Transformers :( 

10. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Harry Potter FTW :rock .................Just Joking :D 

Seriously though, post BotCon the tenative plan is for a fellow Winnipeg based 2005 member to buy 2 advance tickets for the midnight showing on July 4th while I'm at BotCon. So I know I'll see it at least twice. But I'm not sure I could take seeing it a 3rd time...But damn Harry Potter?!?! Transformers is the new kid on the block and already it's up against the big dog of the summer :D 

11. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a feeling that I will be seeing this movie more than once!

12. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Who cares?

Both are destined to rake in obscene amounts of money. Isn't there room for both franchises? Don't understand the Potter hate at all.

13. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers will be the first movie I have seen more than 2 times in a theatre.

i will see it two times for sure, and if I like it then probably alot more. I want them to make as many movies as they possible can.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

This won't affect Tf ticket sales much or at all.

15. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

optimus prime:"one shall stand,one shall fall..."
    harry potter:"look!i have a chocolate frog!"
    *splat*
    end of debate.

16. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

Fear leads to Anger...Anger leads to Hate. My guess, is that people are afraid/terrorfied that this new Harry Potter movie is gonna come along & litteri
    lly
    destroy the entire Transformers franchise with one well placed shot.

This makes people (who don't dislike Harry Potter for their own reasons) all freaked out about it coming out right after Transformers. Like it will steal the wind from their sails (or sales if you will :wink:  ).

Just a guess I have.

-Quickswitch

17. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Harry Potter will do better. Why? Because kids 14-18 (high school) will not be caught dead watching a movie about "Transformers." However, it's the hip and cool thing to do to watch HP, so that's where they'll be. For some reason, high schoolers are all about being overly "mature," and they (from what my brother reported) think Transformers is a little kids' movie about "gay toys," despite the trailers and t.v. spots. Yet they think watching a movie based on a children's novel is going to be cooler.

18. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that moving HP up is gonna hurt TF. I think TF will drop to #2, however, I also feel that HP & TF will be sharing, or swapping (doubtful) #1 & #2 for July, and staying in top 5 thru August (or at least til "stardust" comes out).

Frankly, I think it's a crappy move on WB's part - let TF have their share (after all, I really believe HP appeals to a broader audience <ducks for cover>) - moving debut dates to other than Friday, and it's not a holiday weekend, I dislike how it inflates the numbers. It's not a weekend, if it's not a weekend (even extended). For something like this year's July 4, which falls ona Wed, yes, it's a bit distended. But usually, to me, weekend takes are Fri-Sun, unless a holiday falls on Mon/Thur. Then ya get 1 extra day.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

That is just a stupid thing to think since :::and I'm really hoping most people realize this::: movies are lucky today to retain #1 for more than a week during the summer(hell, all year long). TF will premiere at number #1, the week after Harry Potter #1 /w TF #2. The week after HP #2 with TF #3. Anyone who honestly thinks that Transformers will be number one two weeks in a row is a
    [​IMG]

20. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll have seen it that many times, the first day. In the words of Comic Book Store Guy on Simpsons: "That was the worst Cosmic Wars movie, EVER. I will only see it three more times......today."