Transformers Titanium - War Within Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Squall42080, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Alright, just picked up Transformers Titanium - War Within Optimus Prime. (Along with Megatron, who we will pretend doesn't exist for the time being)

First of all, let me first start off by saying I am a huge fan of the War Within storyline, and the accompanying designs by Don Figueroa. This design is wonderfully brought to life based on his art, and the best part is that it is fully transformable. Let's also start off by saying that it is the die-cast that kills the character. I would honestly love to see this mold brought to life in beautiful plastic!

Getting them out of their plastic cntainer is indeed a bitch. Invest in a pair of wire cutting pliers.

Once out, you'll find that the base is made of two pieces. The actual base, and the autobot symbol/name tag. The Titanium figures will most likely also come out in multiple pieces. I pulled the torso out, followd by the arms, and then the legs...since they are so easily pulled apart.

Here's what you are gonna end up with:

[​IMG]

Everything except the head, tires, hands, upper arms/joints, upper legs/joints, and feet are die-cast metal. He is very heavy.

[​IMG]

No the tires are not made of rubber, for all of you that have been asking. The shoulder pads can be left in two different styles. You can turn the shoulder pads to thesides...and the arms are slightly more poseable (and instruction-correct)

The other way, pictured here, leaves the yellow orbs facing forward, and although it looks cool, it restricts some elbow movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gun has a true handle, complete wit trigger. its best to face the gun outward with the trigger facing Prime's hand and then turning the gun to face correctly. Otherwise it can be a real pain to get the gun in his hand.

[​IMG]

Speaking of the gun, you can check out Don Figueroa's name tag on the gun:

[​IMG]

Transformation to alternate mode is fairly easy, and can be done quickly. The head folds down, chest folds upwards, the waist turns, the arms are turned inside out, and faced backward, and the legs are pushed in. The feet fold together on each leg, and the hands get pushed in.

The gun can get stored in alternate mode facing backwards...it just slides into a groove in the back of...well...Prime's back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a size comparison with THS-02 Convoy...who I thought was pretty heavy for his size...until I met WW Prime.

[​IMG]

and here's a size comparison with Alternators Prime:

[​IMG]

Overall, I can recommend Prime, a pair of wire cutters, and some clear nail polis to tighten up the joints. He's the only Titanium figure thats worth your money so far. He's not the best as far as poseability, but he's great for display with any Prime collection.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm assuming you found this at TRU?

I was gonna stay away from Titaniums, but seeing your pics really made me change my mind...

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Nice review and great pictures. I was happy when I found them both yesterday at Toyrus. :) 

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I wish the paint job on him wasnt so horrible. yours is already chipping.

5. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Me and my girlfriend went on vacation to Philadelphia on Wednesday and Thursday. On the way i was able to sucker her into stopping at the TRU at King of Prussia...where I found both of the figures...

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Quick question for those that have him. Is it the paint that's sloppily applied, or is it the metal itself that's that choppy. Because I can fix paint problems, but I'm not interested in grinding a smooth surface onto a metal toy. Every picture I've seen of him thus far makes him look really rough on the metal surfaces. And I know it'll drive me nuts if I can't fix it on my copy. He's a nice looking figure, but that choppiness. Looks even worse next to the smoothness of the few plastic bits.

8. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well...this is what mine looks like. I noticed that the roughest thing is his shoulders. One shoulder is nice and smooth, and the other looks like he got chicken pox.

Other than that, the paint is smooth...but keep in mind that they really didn't use normal glossy paint. They used a rougher, flat metallic paint for the blue, and a rough almost dying to be metallic red.

[​IMG]

9. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm, this guy's really tough to decide on. I mean, it's the only War Within Prime out there. So, I'm pretty tempted to get him on the fact alone. However, I don't dig diecast at all. I find it really limits toys. It makes them heavy (can't pose them very well), they're expensive as crap, and I find paint application REALLY suffers on them. Overall, I just don't see the hype about diecast. I find it more of an inhibitor of a toy's coolness than enhancing it. I dunno... sometimes I think people like diecast for the sake of diecast. *Shrugs* Just throwing that out there.

But, that being said, it is a TWW Prime... and thus I feel obligated to get it simply because it's the only one we have. Although, I'm sure now that I've ordered it Hasbro will come out with a plastic version that will totally put this one to shame.

Thanks for the pix squall... I guess I kinda rambled on there. ^_^;;

10. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well he's only $14.99 US, so when he makes it up here we wont be more then $24.99 which is not bad.

Anyway great pic's, glad to finally see some good up close shots of this guy. My only real complaint going by the pics alone is the paint apps, especially in vehicle mode, looks pretty sloppy if you ask me.

Other then that this will probably be the only TF Titanium other then Soundwave I end up picking up.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just think how fun it would be taking a dremel to to this guy

[​IMG]

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh how I yearn to someday hold this figure in my hands...

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's very worth getting. I haven't really tried a lot of posing with him but even just a basic standing pose on the display base looks awesome. As to the paint, I've looked at 4 of them, and the paint on their chests is all light and worn-looking. Not chipped or anything, but like it needs another coat. Also saw one with a bent gun, so it might be something to watch for. The transform seems a bit stiff in spots due to the diecast, and some of the joints could really benefit from a pin.

A very worthy display piece, especially at the price, but not as wonderful for playing with.

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If you see them locally, let me know.

15. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

upc please

16. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've got him and really love him as a display piece. It's pretty hard to pose him and not make it look awesome. It's a shame about all the paint problem's he's got, but I just like to think of it as 'battle damage' I guess.

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You know why I like diecast? Pretty much the only reason is that I like paint on toys that are supposed to represent big metal behemoths. But if toy companies would start painting plastic, I'd be all behind getting rid of die-cast all together. It's tough to work with if you're a modifier, it's ugly as sin if they choose the wrong paint, and it makes toys damn near impossible to pose.

Except for Soul of Chogokin, because they've never chosen the wrong paint on those.

But, Squall, you say flat metallic on some parts? ARGH! Every model painter knows you don't do flat metallic. You do gloss metallic so it's smooth and overcoat with a flat. Flat metallic just looks ass-tacular no matter what you do.

It does pretty much look like the paint in that picture, and not the metal itself. One positive about die-cast. Lacquer thinner will rip that paint off and not affect the metal in the slightest. Bare, smooth metal to put a new coat on. I'm now up for it.

Man I've got a load of painting to do this year.

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Does that matrix come with him or is it from another figure? I have not opened mine yet and think maybe its stowed in his chest or something?

19. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, that Matrix is a painted version of the one that comes with Cybertron Prime.

20. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I got him yesterday, and as a display he is great, but I don't think he really has play value. He is nice to transform, but that's it for that. He looks good, and feels heavy. but the diecast is way to heavy for the plastic. I had though of getting Megatron as well, but WWI Prime kinda turned me off to that. I like the figure, but they need improvements.