Transformers Timelines #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Andersonh1, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Otherwise known as "Dawn of Future's Past" or The Beast Wars Prequel. I was surprised to find this in my pull list this evening when I went to pick up my comics. I didn't see another thread about it, so here goes.

Brief story synopsis: the story details the theft of the golden disk, but not how Megatron learned about it. We see most if not all the season one BW characters in pre-beast mode, as well as the stasis pod for protoform X. G1 Buzzsaw and Laserbeak make an appearance, as do Divebomb and Razorclaw.

- Fannish: that's my overall impression. For what it is, the story isn't bad, but it commits the cardinal sin of several "nudge nudge wink wink" continuity references, like the G1 Predacons, and Tigatron and Airrazor being briefly acquainted before the mission.

- A tighter story with less action and more intrigue would have suited me more, but that's criticizing the story for what it isn't I suppose, which isn't really fair.

- The art's not bad. I think it's generally the same team that produces the club magazine comic.

A nice surprise, but not a very deep story. A quick and reasonable read, marred by too many geeky fanboy continuity references.

2. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I quite enjoyed it. It makes a nice prequel to Beast Wars, although Tigatron and Airrazor and the G1 Cassettes did all seem a bit overdone.

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Nice review. I didn't catch the fact that almost no one was referred to by name, which is a nice way of skirting the whole issue of what (for example) Rhinox would be called before he actually adopted a rhino mode.

5. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought it was a pretty decent read :p 

6. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

I think this was previously released at Botcon or OTFCC, so everyone who went probably discussed it back then. I would've started a thread about it, but I was lazy.

So of course it's fanwanky! Also this is why characters have bodies from the Cybertron line, for use as future con exclusives. Some of these redesigns aren't bad.

Who are those shadowy Maximals? And can anybody those random "Maximal Command Security Force" guys? Or recognize Scorponok or Tarantulas' alt-modes?

7. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yeah, i picked it up soley becaus eof my love for the figure set, and found the whole affair a tad on the unprofessional side, but very nice take as a semi-pro fanfic. major ups, though to the concept of CD Megatron wearing armor and having a sleeker bot mode inside...

Edit ~ was Divebomb based off an existing Mold? i could tell Razorclaw was based of Cyb Leo Breaker....

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'm confused. Is Timelines something put out by IDW or was this a BotCon comic?

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Can't it be both?

10. Dreweido

News Credits:
    It was published by Fun Publications (read: Master Collector) and distributed through Diamond comics. The first run was only available at Botcon with the Maximals flying down at Megs. The second run is in comic shops (well, if your shop ordered it) and has extras in the back and a new cover by Joe Ng and Espen Grundertjern

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know there were some damned good colors in that book

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Although it was kind of silly that the author believed having the Predacons (original) as the masters of the BW be a ridiculous idea.

I thought it was a given that the g1 Predacons spawned the Preds as a race.

13. Dreweido

News Credits:
    lol... i can always count on you to make this comment on every thread about this book! thanks! :D 

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks for clarifying. I'll see if I can find it at one of my local comics shops.

15. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Inspired by isn't much of a stretch (splinter group names themselves after a bunch of famous warriors, very reasonable)... but setting them up as fiendish masterminds, manipulating everything? Into the usual convention comic level of fanservice.