Transformers: The Ultimate Guide question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by NSP, Nov 30, 2009.

1. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    I was wondering how come 'Transformers: The Ultimate Guide' is so ridiculously expensive?? Anyone know why? I had one one, but sold it at a Flea Market years ago. Id like to get one again...but dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Has/or will there be a new version released?

NSP

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I found one in paperback--still the same size as the hardback version for $16.99 US
    If you use a discount card, say Books a Million, you get 10% off, If you find it at Borders and they have 30%-50% even better. I got mine that way..WIN!

3. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    I looked it up at Borders AND Books A Million....and dident find it for sale.

NSP

4. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    I found mine in the Store,(I've still seen 1 or 2 here and there in my area) not online, but if you want to go that route, I'm sure you looked it up on Amazon, right?

5. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    Ya even at Amazon they are like $100! I might just look around at different stores next time I go to Amarillo or Lubbock. Thanks.

NSP

(Im still curious as to why they are so expensive)

6. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Damifino--I looked at the publishing dates first published 2004, then the revised edition in 2007, so that may be it, just not in too many stores right now unless they were leftovers...Sorry, hope you find one soon..

7. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    Ya thanks. Ill have to try and find the Revised 2007 version somewhere.

NSP

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simple answer - it's out of print, so the insane price you're seeing on Amazon are those being charged by other people, selling their copies. And the prices charged by sellers on Amazon are batshit insane.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't shell out any big bucks for it, that's for sure. Like nearly all official books, there are areas where it's sorely, sorely lacking... for example, they're limited from doing much RiD stuff due to rights/ownership.

If you'd like to have it just to have it, your call, of course... if you're really looking for solid, complete TF information, you're better off going to the TFWiki.

10. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Wow, I mostly just hang on to mine to laugh at Pat Lee art, but it's going for that much on the secondary market?

11. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

I picked mine up for around twenty bucks just a few months ago, used of course.

I would have to agree with ams however. It is rather one dimensional when it comes to the entire "universe" that if the Transformers "universe". Jumping around a bit and having an over all quick over view to it.

I like the Pat Lee artwork personally.

End of Line

12. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    It's selling for how much?!?!?

I've got a LOT of TF books, have a particular fetish for vintage Jap ones. Of all the books I've got, 'The Ultimate Guide' probably gets referred to least, I've not looked at it this year.

It's a bit of misnomer, as it's far from being 'Ultimate' in any way.

Best TF book by a mile is the original Generations/Generations Deluxe. Wonder what it sells for these days?

13. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Asking for a lot and actually selling for a lot are two different things. Someone would really need to want that book to stump up that amount of coin, especially considering it's not that good (or Ultimate) of a book.
    Personally I've always really enjoyed that Prime Targets guide to the comics and cartoons. Not many pictures, but a great read.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    It's not a great book. Better off reading TF Wiki, which is free and more informative, anyway.

A friend actually gave the the first edition to me as a christmas present last year, as a kind of joke since he heard me comment on how bad it was. It's too bad there are so few TF fiction guides, and Hasbro is so HELL BENT on sticking to their marketing of "Whatever is current is the single most important thing" that the book dates badly, because it more or less treats Dreamwave as current continuity. Also, this book is so thin as to look pathetic next to Marvel and DC's ultimate guides.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's NOT selling at that price. That's why those copies are still sitting there. ;) 

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who likes this book? I would like to see another one that continues on with Cybertron, Universe and the Movie.

Of course, I was a huge Dreamwave fan back in the day. Their stuff was a lot better than IDW. They made Energon cool, gave us World's Collide, War Within and the MTMTE books.

What did IDW give us? Bad art, poor continuity and an unrecogniseable G1 universe that changes a lot and not for the better.

I'd take Pat Lee's art over Nick Roche any day.