Transformers: The Movie featured in Cereal:Geek magazine #7

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ikkstakk, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all of the other information coming out about early drafts of the 1986 Transformers: The Movie, Cereal:Geek magazine #7 has a nice 10-page article about the original trailer for the film, which was produced exclusively for circulation within the industry and was never intended for public release. The trailer used original animation that was apparently completed from an earlier draft of the film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The article states that it was originally Slag, not Snarl, who was omitted from the movie, and that the Dinobots usually appeared in their robot modes rather than their dinosaur modes.

[​IMG]

Arcee and Daniel were originally aboard Hot Rod and Kup's shuttle after the evacuation of Autobot City. It's a bit hard to see, but note also the placement of Hot Rod's Autobot symbol. It was on his "collar" rather than on his chest throughout the trailer.

[​IMG]

This glowing wire-frame was apparently the original design for the Matrix of Leadership.

Cereal:Geek is a nice glossy magazine and I found the article an interesting read. Elsewhere there's an article about Peter Cullen, a Marvel Universe-style bio page for Spike Witwicky, a brief article about The Five Faces of Darkness, and a couple of Li'l Formers cartoons, to say nothing of articles about many other cartoons of the 1980s.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Kewl.

I did a couple illustrations for Cereal Geek back when. Not Transformers unfortunately, but Thundercats.

I wonder if that thing around Galvy's neck is actually a 'life spark jar'. :) 

3. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
    WOW thank you for posting this! Those screen shots look awesome! Do you know where I can pick up a copy in the corporate america world or is it buy from them direct?

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They're from the UK IIRC, so your best bet is to buy from them direct (they sell digital copies of their magazine too, if you dont want to wait for shipping, but the physical version is really nice), as its a pain in the ass to find a comic store that sells Cereal Geek.

It's a great publication though, and definitely worth looking into.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    cereal:geek

BTW, attempts to order this mag through Previews were a complete bust. So much for trying to support my local comic shop.

6. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Lifespark container?

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a shame, I preordered my copy through my mail-order service using Previews.

Is this the term they use in the earlier draft? I haven't had the chance to read through it yet. The magazine article just says that the design for the Matrix hadn't been finalized at the time the trailer was animated.

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I think it was lifespark (?) Prime passes it to Magnus, and Galvatron then forcibly removes it from Magnus with the intent of using it against Ingestor.

9. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Interesting. That would explain why the Matrix looked the way it did in Marvel's 4-issue run of TFTM:

[​IMG]

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's one awesome lemon!

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Cerealgeek's a great magazine; Hyena has a subscription to it. The guy who produces it is a huge Thundercats fan so there's always a lot about that in there, but he covers all manner of 80s animations as well. VERY highly reccommended indeed!

12. gothsaurus

gothsaurus Evil Overlord of Doom

Ebay:
    I'm curious if all of the Transformers content is ported over to the digital versions, which are listed as "selected" material from the issues. Does anyone have a set of the paper versions to compare, or insight?

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That's a really neat find. Though I'm happy with the Matrix we ended up with.

14. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very Nice! Thanks for posting!

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Pretty cool stuff, and I'm glad this got bumped as I missed this somehow.