Transformers the Movie: Did Optimus Prime actually kill any decepticons?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wu Jen, May 26, 2011.

1. Wu Jen

Wu Jen Some old nobody

When he goes on his shooting rampage. I've always assumed that the insecticons and seekers that are thrown out are all the ones Prime took care of, but are they actually dead?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think any Decepticons were confirmed as killed outright by Optimus during that fight. Some of his targets were definitely ejected from Astrotrain though.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering his primary goal at that moment was Megatron, Optimus was shooting down/incapacitating any other Decepticons in his way quickly, without taking time to make sure they were dead, (as long as they were damaged enough that they wouldn't get right back up to help Megatron)

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Wether or not Optimus intended to kill them is debatable, but No, none were killed by his attack, and all seemed to be likely to survive if they had gotten medical attention.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Nope. Op didn't kill a single one.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Gotra love the 80s. The bad guys could kill at their pleasure but if the good guys so much as tried to..no.

Even as a child I was like "wtf is this?"

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Nope, Prime didn't kill anybody. Cause I'm a believer that Megatron, Skywarp, Thundercracker, and the Insecticon's "sparks" became Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, and the Sweeps. And no, I'm not implying anything about who became who. We'll let that topic rest in peace.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still believe Megatron DIED and Unicron broght him back to life before making Galvatron.

First time Unicron calls Megatron, no response.
    Second time Megatron answers in a very weak voice.
    Listen to Welker, the voice becomes stonger the longer Megatron is talking with Unicron.

It's possible Megatron died for a few.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its a cartoon meant for kids. They didn't want the heroes killing, even the bad guys. Even Unicron survived, even if it was just his head. The closest they came was Hot Rod/Kup taking out some robofish & the Dinobot possibly killing a few sharkticons (even then, they seemed to just be damaged, not killed)

While, you can say that damaged done by Prime or the Autobots 'killed' some of the guys thrown out of Astrotrain, it took a while for them to 'die'.

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    No but maybe he stepped on Chip during the battle.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

possible but I dont think so.

The film makers made sure every character that was definitely dead, that they wanted us to understand was in fact dead, was shown to have turned gray.

Ironhide is really the only one that we didnt see fade, but we never saw him again after the close up shot.

12. Geezertron

Geezertron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    We can only hope.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Stepping on Chip would have done more damage to Prime than Megatron did. Chip Chase is hardcore, man.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

I don't think Prime killed anyone directly. You could argue that he indirectly killed Megatron, Thundercracker, and Kickback. Maybe Skywarp as well if you factor in the storyboards. (In the storyboards, after Prime guns down everyone in his way, he gets dogpiled by Starscream, Skywarp, and Astrotrain. The ensuing fight is not shown, but Prime seems to make it to Megatron without taking any noticeable damage.)

On the other hand, Skywarp and Thundercracker both board Astrotrain under their own power (unlike the Insecticons and Megatron) so maybe Prime didn't do that much damage to them? Or maybe they could hold it together just long enough to get on board? Or maybe it was the fact that they were standing behind the damaged Insecticons that got them tossed out of Astrotrain? (Seriously, they don't look that bad off just before they get ejected.) Or maybe that scene was animated before the decision was made to kill off Skywarp and Thundercracker before the final battle with Unicron. :wink:  (Earlier versions of the script have them killed by Unicron alongside Shockwave.)

And for those who are wondering:

• Skywarp is never shown taking any damage in the film.
    • Shrapnel gets shot and smacked around a bunch, but is never shown to be disabled until just before he gets tossed out of Astrotrain. The last time we see him before the retreat, he gets clipped by Prime driving past in truck mode. Thrust gets hit much worse, but seems to be in better shape by the time people start getting tossed out of Astrotrain.
    • Bombshell gets nailed by one of the missiles Springer fires at Devastator.

15. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Chip - No one's ever really disabled so long as he has cour-
    Optimus steps on him
    Optimus Prime - Oh shit, ummm...
    Optimus looks around and throws his corpse at a random Decepticon

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I maintain that he mortally wounded quite a few, who would have permanently died if not for Unicron.

Disagree, in that I believe Megatron died only after he told Unicron he would accept Unicron's terms (just before he was converted into Galvatron). Notice that he turned gray then.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

And in that theres still room for debate.

Althou it looks like he faded to gray....he was still moving.

And was it that he turned gray or was in an effect of the scann.

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Megatron didn't die before his reformat. He was at death's door, to be sure... but he maintained consciousness until the reformat began.

19. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

If Megatron died and Galvatron was a totally new person, why would he be p'd off at Starscream? That wouldn't make any sense.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm actually referring to the moment just before Unicron says "Excellent". Megs turns gray (almost black, to be precise) and his head slumps to one side. Don't remember him moving after this happens... at least not until he was brought back as Galvy.

We're not saying Galvatron was a totally new person. It's called resurrection, man. All we're saying is that Megatron briefly gave up the ghost.