Transformers the Movie, '86

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jonnyshaft, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

Just watched this again and could really take it in as a work of art. The cel animation is outstanding (anyone who has ever painted a cel knows what I mean). Youre painting front to back instead of the usual back to front, so youre essentially painting the highlights and working backward.

The watercolor backgrounds are beautiful. The twisted landscape inside Unicron is amazing- his brain center, the mouth, his stomach, throat, etc. Junkion must have been an unbelievable pain in the ass to paint, but it also looked amazing.

The animators must have really studied not only bipedal movement, but animal movement as well. Think about how much Laserbeak moved like a condor when he was filming the Autobots, and how much Kickback "stuck" like a grasshopper when he was caught on the receding bridge. Outstanding work.

All done by hand, no computers, 12 cels for every second, hundereds of background paintings, some seen for only a few seconds. Thats talent.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I guess you could say that they definitely had... the touch. :lol 

3. Sandbreaker

Sandbreaker Active Member

I've always been a fan of the cel animation. Despite how long it took it was a work of art. Today it's more with computer graphics which saves time, but it feels that something is lost.

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    You speak the truth, good sir. Glad to hear more people sing the praises.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I prefer Cel Animation over CGI.

6. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

"It's a lost art"

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Indeed. The quality of construction bares through even today.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, the cel animation in this film really is magnificent. Light years ahead of the cartoon series, but even nicer than a lot of contemporary animated films.

It has stood the test of time very well.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To echo everyone else's statement, it truly is a work of art, as was the GI Joe movie, animation-wise. Truly a lost art today with the lousy flash animation that looks like one of my 6th grade students drew it in their notebooks.

10. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

Speaking of cels, I always hated that moment inside Unicron when Hot Rod is supposed to be lying on a spear but the cels are placed way higher. Protoman, c'mon, you know that!

11. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

I agree. With computer animation, you lose the hand-drawn human element. Plus I still havent seen a computer animation that renders flesh believably. I also like seeing eraser lines on finished drawings though....

Back when I was in college, I wanted to be an animator. I made one cel animation- Ravage runs to Spike, holds him with a paw, and bites and rips him in half. Lasted about 30 seconds (Ravages run was a cycle, shot over again a few times) Took me over 2 semesters. Then I though about different careers...

12. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

There's definitely a reason that it's my favorite movie of all time (animated or otherwise). It easily blows away the live movies.

13. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    That I do, his legs were too high for the "cel cut"

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Yes, even though the quality was great the animation still had a few glitches.

15. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I just watched this last night. Loved every minute of it. It made me think about the days leading up to the first live movie coming out, and I realized something. This movie set the bar too high for the live movies to reach. In 2007, I just assumed that Transformers movie = one of the greatest movies ever created (or ever will be created). And the live movies just aren't at the same level as the original animated movie. So naturally, I was greatly disappointed when I saw the first live movie.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It's sad that the hour and half animated toy commercial is better than the bombastic live action version.

Maybe it's because the 86 movie has had 25 years to saturate it's awesomeness.