Transformers The Movie 1986

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by charsdc2, Dec 16, 2011.

1. charsdc2

charsdc2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Enlighten me! I want to get everyone's take about TF The Movie. When OP died and the matrix fell out of his hand, Hot Rod was the first to catch it before it hit the ground. It glowed blue after he brought it up and handed to UM. Did it choose HR because he touched it first or was HR meant to be the next leader regardless whoever touched the matrix first?

2. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    Wow...now that is some analyzing. Interesting thought. I would probably have to still go with HR being the chosen one either way but thats just the simple theory. :inquisiti 

3. charsdc2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, as a simple theory, HR was the chosen one. I was pondered about this scene whenever I watch the movie. It's not clear and cut you know.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hot Rod was and always has been the Chosen One. Him touching the Matrix first was actually the Matrix itself trying to literally "fall" into his hands.

That's my take on it.

5. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Reformed Autobot

News Credits:
    The Matrix recognised him as the Chosen One - hence the glowing - but knew it wasn't the 'darkest hour' yet and so nothing more happened at the time.

6. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It just showed that the "all powerful" Matrix doesn't always make the best of choices.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey kids! Its called foreshadowing.

More than anything it was just a story telling device that hinted at rodimus' destiny. Otherwise the other bots might have mentioned something like 'hey you noticed how the matrix glowed when hot rod caught it? That magnus is such a hoser'.

8. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Obviously Hot Rod is a Prime-Killing-Matrix-Thief.

Earlier in the movie Hot Rod saw an opportunity to kill off Optimus Prime. He knew that Optimus would never shoot Megatron if there were any chance that he'd hurt someone else in the process, so he jumped in the way giving Megatron the upper hand. Later, Hod Rod's lust for The Matrix showed itself when he lunged for it, after it fell from Optimus Prime's dead hands. It may even be possible that Hot Rod somehow knew that The Matrix would be inherited by the next person to touch it after the previous owner's passing, however I'm not sure how he would've obtained such knowledge. Maybe he got it from Megatron and the earlier interruption was more planned than it appeared.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hot Rod was the chosen one. I "guarantee" that's what it was supposed to mean. I'm not ragging on you, but I think you are reading too into this movie that was really just designed to sell the 86 product line (Don't all jump on me, I know it ended up being more than that to many people, myself included, but that was the original intention)

10. charsdc2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wonderful insight! :D 

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ This.

With regards to 'the first to touch the Matrix inherits it' thing, think how different things might've been if when Optimus dropped it it fell on Daniel. Dannimus Prime?

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    When I first saw the movie as a kid I thought that the Matrix sort of went into a ‘search mode’ when the current Prime died.
    I didn’t think it would just upgrade whatever Transformer happened to touch it –I mean, what if it were a Decepticon?
    So, I saw it as Hot Rod touched the Matrix, was judged (when it flashed) and found worthy, but he handed it to Ultra Magnus before the Matrix could upgrade him.
    Then Magnus was basically just a walking carrying case for the Matrix until Hot Rod next touched it.
    It’s a good thing Ultra Magnus just happened to have a Matrix of Leadership compartment in his chest!

That’s why it didn’t upgrade or open for Magnus or Galvatron when he used the Matrix as his bling.
    But the next time Hot Rod touched it he was immediately upgraded to Rodimus Prime.

Of course this opens up the ‘what if scenario’ of ‘what if Wheelie touched it first’ or even ‘what if Beachcomber touched it first’ but I like my theory.

However, the Marvel Comics continuity kind of throws my ideas away.
    When you see Primus in his celestial form he looks exactly like Rodimus Prime.
    If that doesn’t mean Hot Rod was the chosen one I don’t know what does.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Touch the Matrix. Therefore Chosen One.

That's how i always saw it and will continue to see it.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've always seen it as the Matrix being sentient enough to try to guide itself to the one who is meant to use it.

From a story perspective, yeah, clumsy foreshadowing.

15. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, when I was 7 and saw it in the theatre, I didn't even get the foreshadowing. I must have been one of Hasbro's ideal audiences. I loved the show, loved the comics and was surprised and didn't hate the movie, then I loved all the post-movie characters. Yeah, I was a mark

16. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

I agree with this theory. Hot Rod appears to let nothing stand in the way of his quest for the Matrix. It seems when the shuttle came, Hot Rod:
    1) First tried to talk Daniel out of seeing it by telling him it would be "dull, Daniel" because he knew 'Cons were supposed to be on it. I imagine he was trying to spare Daniel out of a deep seated guilt Hot Rod has of secretly being responsible for Grandpa Sparkplug's death. (We'll save that for another conspiracy theory).

2) Then he rushed to be the first one to see who was on the shuttle, not even stopping for a clearly marked "STOP" barricade, to be sure Megatron was on the shuttle, and execute his plan.

3) Once he knew the 'Cons were on the shuttle, he set up a kind of alibi by firing on the shuttle immediately so no one would question his trustworthiness later, and frikkin' DESTROYED it. Yet one would think most Autobots would make sure their friends on board weren't maybe alive and being held hostage first, radio for back-up, etc.

4) Here I'll reiterate the previously stated points of AngryChad where HR was so easily being "overpowered" by Megatron (I mean he's got a 3-barrelled laser gun on both forearms and he couldn't shoot Megs in the face while being held??? Looks awful fishy....) and lunging so lustfully for the Matrix when Prime died, etc. He probably only gave it to Magnus right then because he knew they'd gang up on him if he didn't (Optimus had just announce MAGNUS was to be leader and all), and he knew he couldn't take Magnus, Blurr, Springer, Kup and even Arcee all at once! He had to wait for his moment, which was....

5) ...on the planet of Junk. First thing he did was make friends with the junkions, make them haul Magnus's carcass and all the pieces over, put it back together (to make sure the Matrix wasn't still there) and the first thing he does when Magnus wakes up, like, miraculously from DEATH is ask Where is the Matrix!!!! Not, "Hey, Commander, you're alive! What can we do for you? We're all standing by to recieve your orders. You, the one the great Optimus Prime choose to lead us with his dying breath." Nope, he just wanted the Matrix.

6) All evidence points to the fact that when they got to Unicron, Hot Rod maliciously crashed the ship thru Unicron's eye without even considering the safety of everyone else on board (including not even caring about Daniel, he was so crazed by this point!). Then he purposely gets separated from the group, goes after the Matrix on Galvatron like Gollum on Frodo, to the point where his maddening desire for it causes him to break the chain it's on with his bare metal hands, nearly pull it apart to get at the "precious" energies contained within (He only threw out Galvatron for shooting the Matrix, how DARE he!!!!) and then, in a move that proves he's both crazy and stupid, trades his awesome sports care mode in for.... a camper????

7) Killing Unicron seemed to be a lucky fluke. After that Hot Rod constantly whined about responsibility, not being good enough, making Ultra Magnus do most everything anyway. And just like a kid who steals a toy from another kid and then doesn't even want it anymore after he got it, Hot Rod does anything he can to get rid of the Matrix! That is, until Optimus wants it back, then Hot Rod gets all, "No, it's mine, it's mine, it's mine," even taking a blowtorch to Prime. I'm not sure the Hate Plague had anything to do with it so much as "Rodimus" is just kind of a jerk.

This concludes my thesis.
    Hopefully you've read it in good humor with the tongue-in-cheek-ness it was written in. :) 

17. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

optimus prime kill by megatron in tf 86 movie
    starscream kill by galvatron

18. charsdc2

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I totally agree with your notion! It's great humor and understanding at the same time. Made my night! :lol  Rodimus as a leader was weak, always questioning himself and making others do he dirty work while he relaxes. Not the hero that Optimus was! That's why Optimus kept on resurrecting! GO OPTIMUS PRIME!

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

If it makes you feel better, you weren't alone :D 

20. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Wow I never knew the Matrix was so "easy", imagine what it would do if you bought it dinner! :lol