Transformers the movie 1986

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Do you guys know if Hasbrp still owns the right for the movie? and are they going to release it on dvd/blue-ray or i have to get it online if i want it.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Why... wouldn't Hasbro own the rights anymore?

3. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I called Hasbro yesterday and they said they dont own it anymore i dont know if its true

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you want it on Blu-Ray, you can buy the UK Blu-Ray which is region free and will work on most U.S. players. I personally own the Blu-Ray, and it's decent. It has absolutely no special features and the audio channels are mixed up a bit. But the video quality is quite good.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Because it was produced by another company who licensed the right to make it? The images, video and audio, are all owned by someone else. In essence, hasbro never owned the rights to it.

Last I knew Sony had rights to it. No idea if they still do or not. Highly unlikely shout has it. You can visit their boards and ask though. They may have acquired it.

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Shout! Factory Community - Transformers: The Movie/GIJOE THe Movie Question!!!!

As of February 2010, Shout! actually does not own the movie rights.

So Hasbro may or may not still own the licensing rights. I doubt a phone operator is going to know that info. But really, another DVD isn't exactly needed at this time.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  8. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

yeah that was in 2010.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They've licensed rights to Shout...

The article only mentions tv series as well and was written in 2008. 7 months after sony's initial release of the movie. Not even a full distribution year.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Didn't Sony Wonder fold soon after releasing their version of the movie DVD?

11. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

1986 movie

Yes i know the typical question everybody is asking but i have a burning question.

1- Optimus Prime they killed him off for the same reason they killed off the rest of the Autobots or it came out of the blue and uncalled for?

2- Starscream pretty much the same question as OP, but was he killed because Megatron/Galvatron didnt wanted him in his ranks anymore cause of his treachory acts in the previous series?

3- I know Thundercracker and Skywarp are Scourge and Cyclonus but who are the Insecticons after they got reformated?

4- Dirge, Thrust and Ramjet i remember seeing them getting killed by Unicron in the movie but then they came back in season 3 TFOD they could of done the same thing to Ironhide, Brawn and so on.

12. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. More or less the same reason as the other Autobots- changing the cast.

2. Galvatron wanted leadership of the Decepticons again, so he killed the current leader.

3. Most of them became the Sweeps, though it is possible that Bombshell became Cyclonus, and not Skywarp (though I personally think it was Skywarp as well.

4. Probably an error on someone's part. A few of the deceased Transformers popped up from time to time in S3.

EDIT: Or, it could have been an error that they died in the movie. It was kinda quick.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You seem to have a lot of burning questions. :wink: 

The TFWiki is your friend. It's my first choice to check anything I ever have a question about relating to TFs, and rarely ever has it not provided the answer I was looking for.

It all came down to Hasbro's executive decision of "out with the old, in with the new." The whole point of the movie was to sell the new product line. It was shameful and one of the worst cases of commercial exploitation of kids I have ever seen.

The movie determined that Rodimus Prime was to be the new leader of the Autobots, and Hasbro wanted to sell a lot of Roddy toys. So they nixed Optimus along with most of the rest of the Autobots the fans had come to know and love.

Galvatron eliminated him because Starscream was a "pretender to the throne." And perhaps somewhere inside Galvatron, whatever remained of Megatron's former self, he finally just decided that "enough was enough." Starscream was a constant annoyance and he should have destroyed him a long time ago.

Fans have debated the Bombshell/Skywarp/Cyclonus issue for more than two decades. Here's a recent thread if you'd like to read more about it:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/327063-who-cyclonus-scourge.html

As SAF7 said, we can only assume the Insecticons became the Sweeps or perhaps they were intended to be part of Cyclonus' "Armada" that Unicron mentions in TFTM. But there's nothing official on them otherwise. Their later appearances in TFTM and G1 Season 3 may have just been animation mistakes. From the TFWiki:

Animation/continuity errors probably explain this best. But unfortunately, Ironhide and Brawn were doomed before the movie was ever made. From the early synopsis for TFTM, they were on the list of characters the writer was told he could kill off.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    To sell new toys and in a round about fashion it was Duke of GIJoe who set the ball rolling for Optimus Prime's movie demise.

SS finally went to far when he dumped megatron into space and Galvatron did what he never did as Megatron and killed the fool.

Except I must disagree here: quoted from an earlier post i made in a topic on the origins of Cyclonus and Scourge.:

As for the insecticons showing up later they weren't the only "resurrections" there is a shot from a season 3 episode showing an autobot who bears an uncanny resemblence to Windcharger even though he is clearly seen as dead in the movie. I for me at least thats not convincing evidence, heck look at the universe bio for Cyclonus Hasbro wants to part of that debate and using info from the script neatly avoids it.

errors and perhaps writers who had nothing to do with the movie and had never seen it, who just then choose the characters that fit the bill for what they were writing. Ironhide and Brawn were clearly dead, especially Ironhide a fusion cannon to the face is kind of permanent off lining.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    tl;dr version:

1 - Old toy.

2 - Old toy.

3 - Can of worms.

4 - The Conehead toys were still on the shelves so they got a reprieve.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually the evidence suggest that Bombshell became Cyclonus.

Actully he wasnt "clearly" anything in the film.

The only thing that was clearm, was that he was damaged and not active.

Ironhide yes, but theres noting clear about Brawns situation.

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

How's that? Duke and Prime were both supposed to die in their respective movies. Transformers came out first, in which Prime did die, but it was the fans' reaction to that that made them give Duke an 11th hour reprieve, and they just sent him into a coma for a while.
    How did Duke have anything to do with Prime's death?

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Answer: Grimlock1972 is a Dyslexicon. :D 

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The Idea for Duke to die came first and Hasbro upon green lighting it also decided to kill Optimus prime, but as the Transformer movie came out first and the epic fan backlash over Prime's death caused Duke to be spared. and knocked the G.I.Joe movie from the theaters to TV and canceled several others. so in a strange way Duke Killed Optimus Prime.

20. OreoBuilder

OreoBuilder Well-Known Member

What's your source? Where did you read that?

OB