Transformers: The Movie (1986) upscaled in 3D!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Zeta Primal, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Zeta Primal

Zeta Primal Member

If anyone has a 3D TV that has a 2D-3D upscale function, you should really try it out on TFTM! I gave it a go last night and it really looks amazing. I'd imagined that cel animation wouldn't upscale properly but it really does.

Some scenes look particularly impressive, especially the destruction of Lithone. I also noticed so many background details I hadn't spotted before, and I have watched this movie more times than I care to mention...

If you're interested I have a Samsung with active 3D glasses and was watching the Metrodome region 2 blu ray through a PS3.

Has anyone else tried this? Really interested to hear what you think.

I've heard that CGI animations work really well so looking forward to testing this out on Prime when the Blu Ray comes out.

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Wow, I didn't even realize there was technology like that to watch a 2D show in 3D!

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait until true 3d tvs hit the market..no glasses and no headaches :) 

4. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I might not be the onbly none-3D fan but everybody is allowed to their own choice and i find that 3D Movies suck and they give headaches if you take them out for a spit second.

5. Zeta Primal

Zeta Primal Member

Yeah it doesn't work all that well on everything, but TFTM comes out particularly well. I'm no expert but I guess it's because it has so much "depth" in terms of layers of cels, detail and so on.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Don't you have to be watching an enormous TV for the effect to work properly? (something about your peripheral vision of the area around the screen distracting the eye..?)

7. Zeta Primal

Zeta Primal Member

No not really, I have a 40" TV and the upscaling works well for me!

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Sorry, I meant the actual 3D effect itself, rather than how it affects existing 2D titles.

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I don't think they're necessarily bad, but I do find that after a short time I don't even notice the 3D effect. I prefer 2D movies. I'll probably try to see DotM both ways, but I don't know which I'll see first...

10. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I didn't think of it that way, seeing the movie in both ways. I'll have to try that out. I think I'd rather see the normal 2D version first.

11. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not true....It's not the glasses that give you the headaches, it's your eyes. When something is close to you, your eyes automatically focus on the object, but if it is not really there it causes problems. Some people are effected more than others. Parralax screens don't change that, they just change the need for the glasses. Get a 3Ds and play it for a few hours and you'll see what I mean.

All and All I think 3D is a fad. It's really cool, but just not needed.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Have to disagree with your first point.

The wearing of the glasses can and does cause headaches and irritation of vision. When I wear 3D glasses in the theater, light reflecting on the inside of the lens makes my eyes hurt for hours afterwards and I get a mild headache from it. (Having to sit still for a 3-hour event like Avatar made my eyes hurt for days.) That reflective light is caused by illumination from the projector and the movie screen itself.

But as you said, some people are affected more than others. The iris in one of my eyes is damaged from when it took a full concert crowd spotlight from just a few feet away back when I was working as road crew for a touring group. (Curse you, road intern who accidentally turned on the stage light mixer while I was adjusting the light.) As a result, my left eye is ultra-sensitive to light. It goes without saying that it doesn't do well watching 3D movies. And it's the wearing of 3D glasses that causes this irritation. I'm fine without them.

I agree that 3D is a fad. I think it's just an old gimmick that's enjoying a temporary revival. I haven't seen enough evidence that it's the future of TV/film viewing.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was going by the studies that involved glass wearing. Your eyes are trying to focus through a non clear lens causing the headache. Much like wearing glasses that are not your prescription. I don't get the headaches but I have followed the studies and heard my friends griping.

14. Zeta Primal

Zeta Primal Member

So....going back to my original post..has anyone with a 3D TV tried upscaling TFTM? The effect is pretty special IMO.

15. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ya i could care less about 3D lol but it sounds cool that you are finding stuff you haven't seen before.