Transformers: The Movie (1986) no longer sold in stores

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TorchwoodPrime, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TorchwoodPrime

TorchwoodPrime Member

Hi guys TorchwoodPrime here new to the boards and I thought I would come on with a bit of info for you.

I work at a electronics retailer (won't say which one) and this morning was a bit dismayed when the company news reported that the company responsible for the Transformers 20th anniversary DVD when out of business and thus we would no longer be selling the movie in stores or on line. Even worse was the fact that just last week we where asked to return out stock of the movie to the warehouse. (and I thought I would have another opportunity to get the movie when the new one came to DVD in the winter . . ./sigh oh well no DVD for me). Anyway I know that the guys that where putting out the Transformers G1 series on DVD when up in smoke but I was not sure if this was the same guys. If this is old news I am sorry but I just thought you guys might want to know. I'll try to keep you guys updated on release dates and anything Media related when it comes to Transformers ( and any industry promotions I can find) but for now this is TorchwoodPrime saying: "The TARDIS is not a transformer. . . .yet"

2. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I find it extremely hard to believe that Rhino Video would go belly up.

3. TorchwoodPrime

TorchwoodPrime Member

Rhino didn't do the 20th dvd Sony family did

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I thought Sony was distributing the newest 20th Anniversary edition.

5. TorchwoodPrime

TorchwoodPrime Member

A small subsection of Sony was putting out the 20th dvd they are the ones that got shut down

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards. I wish it was with better news. You'd think it would at least print long enough to shelve next to the 2007 movie when that DVD ships.

7. Swiftblade

Swiftblade Member

Good thing I bought mine already ^^

8. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Welcome aboard!

If this is legit (excuse us, we're cynical here at times ;)  ), I'm certain someone else will pick it up and carry it. It's money in the bank.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

It'll come out again. This is probably a publicity stunt or, more likely, a scheme to increase demand. I guarantee it will be available before the holidays in all retail stores. Meantime, I would suggest hitting up eBay before the scalpers find out and the price goes up.

BTW, Amazon has in stock for $16.

10. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    me too, and I also got the t-shirt that came with it.

11. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    Just curious....what does a company going out of business have to do with pulling the stock off the shelves? You'd think that any income from the movie would help settle any debts or whatnot. Look at the comic book...Dreamwave went out of business and you can still by their stuff...that's of course if the shop has any on hand. There was no mass pulling it off the shelf and return it kind of deal. If it's a rights issue and something was violated...then I understand. But going out of business doesn't sound like a reason to pull the product.

Just my two piasters.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Sony BGM went under back in late Jan or early February. This really doesn't come as a surprise to me, but the major label on it is still Sony.

Are you sure it's not just your store's decision? Or are you part of a larger, nationwide retail chain? I think the important thing is what store you're in ... if it's something like Fry's then I wouldn't worry, but if it's WalMart/Best Buy/Target, then I'd say that's a little more concerning.

13. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    It's the same way SW Ep 1 and Ep 2 became impossible to find a few months before Ep 3 came out---then once it did, they were everywhere. They're intentionally building up demand through restricting supply, then will bring it back when the new movie comes on DVD. Just IMHO.

14. TorchwoodPrime

TorchwoodPrime Member

well this was company news, so for the moment I am going to say it is plausible (love mythbusters) Thanks for all the welcomes and I hope next time I will have better news to share.

TorchwoodPrime

And just to settle a thing or two I work for Best Buy, All Best Buy stores are pulling stock of Transformers 20Th anniversary DVD because there's no one left to send the profit to (I guess just a theory) one thing that was mentioned in the memo was that no one owned the rights to the movie at this time so that may be why it can't be sold. And there was no recall or news of SW Ep1 or 2 being pulled before 3 came out they where just that popular and Lucas was holding them to make more money, also the reason you can get the Dreamwave TF books is because they have been rereleased by IDW (Thank you there is a TF Kami-sama). . . .This is not a hold folks . . .it's gone. Amazon may be able to sell what's left because they are an Internet chain but within a very short time it will be gone from our shelves. I commend those who got a copy and if I had known this would happen last week I would have gotten a copy instead of putting gas in my car (joking) but we'll see if someone picks up the rights in the next few months. Tentative release of Transformers the Movie (M. Bay) is December, more than likely in the second week so we have some time.

15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well a quick check of Circuit city and Bestbuy's website has the movie on backorder and no store in my area (southern NH) has it in stock. My guess is that it will pop up this fall when the DVD comes out.

16. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I don't own the 20th anniversary ed. is it worth getting since I do have the regular Rhino version? any comments welcome...

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Well crap, someone at work just offered to sell me theirs yesterday for $5.

Guess I shouldn't have turned them down.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes! For $15 or $20, the special features alone are worth it. Having a much nicer version of the film is definitely a bonus also.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i dont know...i'm still waiting for the G1 series box sets to come back...

as for the 20th ann....i still havent watched it yet...just bought it cause it was on sale :D 

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So glad I already got my copy.