Transformers the Movie (1986) is 25 Years Old Now!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Aug 8, 2011.

1. raindance

raindance Experimental

I was 30. Had a career in the Navy. Had been collecting the toys since they hit shelves back then. Still got most of my G1's completely intact, still in the boxes (but I still take 'em out and play with them every now and then). The movie was awesome. It blew my mind, saddened and at the same time pissed me off when Prime died. God I remember that day. Glorious. I've continued the collecting. I remember the Dark Ages. When you couldn't find one, not one Transformers toy on a shelf anywhere. Yeah, we've got it good now. Very good. I watch the flick every year, by myself. My wife and daughter (she's grown) both love Transformers as much as I do but I love to watch this movie and think about how Transformers have always been a stable, continuous part of my life. Crazy. Yeah, I hope I make it 25 more. I know the movie will.
    -rain-

2. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

I remeber having Galvatron before seeing the movie and after that i was yeah that's my boy megs,my friend was sad about primes death(and years latter after watching the movie bout 1000 times i started to like prime) and another friend was mad that they killed Starsrceam (i was like about time)

3. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Is it me or the week Exgraver came out (got mine last monday) they been showing all the shows with the Constructicons in them.

4. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok bro...read what I text. I never said I.watched it more than you or anyone. I did say it is probably a fact that I have watched that movie more than anything. Any other movie (predator, commando, and aliens come close) or show.

I wore out a vhs tape. The part in the first post, that shows primed face, and then stan bush hits ....my tape was all snow from constant rewinding to that part. After my tape was wasted, (my dad bought me the tape new, and it was expensive, no way I could ask for another) I taped the movie, when it played on tv. I made it so perfect too...pausing at commercials...it was going to be a good copy, and then I got in a fight at school, had to stay for detention, and that got screwed, but at least I had my new prime fight.

I watched that movie so much, the other day my boy was watching it, I was reading at the table, and I recieted the lines 100% flawlessly without even seeing the movie for almost a half hour before my wife told me to knock it off.

I was totally in character too..I was cracking myself up...because I can do ONE HELP of a G1 megatron voice...

Love that movie. Love that movie. Love that movie

5. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    :bday  Transformers: the Movie

6. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

For a full feature length movie to handle things exactly like a 22 minute cartoon is the problem!

The 86 Movie Autobots felt tacked on. For someone supposedly as important as Ultra Magnus he shows up with absolutely no explanation in a movie? In a 22 minute cartoon it's forgiveable but in a movie? Not so much. Characters were just forced upon us with absolutely no background story whatsoever. Do you still have a problem understanding this complaint?

(At least with Sentinel Prime in DOTM they give us a valid reason for him popping up along with the wreckers and others.)

Were the new autobots found on a derelict ship floating through space? Were they in a form of stasis ala sentinel prime. Even a sentence or 2 could have done wonders to give us a clue.

7. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I was 15 in 1986. Was going through the "you're too old now for Transformers" thing. Didn't see it in theaters. Not sure when I first saw it.

Ironically, today, at 40, I have more TFs than I ever did!

And I own the movie on DVD. :) 

8. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Greatest animated film ever. No question. When I got the 20th Anniversary edition and listened to the commentary, I was amazed to hear the time and effort that went into putting this together. So much time was spent on the animation, with so many worker hours, I'm sure that's a big reason why the film holds up so well.

My friend and I used to debate whether Optimus was a powerful warrior or not. A few minutes into this movie where Optimus tears through the Decepticon ranks en route to his showdown with Megatron settled that debate forever.

9. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

I believe I was in 6th grade when this came out and I saw it. There wasn't a dry eye in the theater when Prime died, I remember that much lol.

10. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    A 22 minute cartoon or 65 or so 22 minutes cartoons? They had *MORE* time in the cartoon for proper introductions, and most of the time TPTB didn't follow that route.

Also, I'd agree to your point if the movie was intended as a standalone piece, but it was always intended as something between seasons 2 and 3 of the cartoon. You can't watch all the episodes from the G1 cartoon and ignore the movie because there's a gap in the story, and you can't watch the movie without previous knowledge of the cartoon. They are part of a whole.

Yup. The Dinobots, Skyfire and the combiners weren't introduced in a single 22 minute cartoon. They got proper introductions during several episodes. Powerglide, Warpath and Inferno didn't, mostly while following the same format. In the movie some characters were introduced like the Dinobots, and others were introduced like Inferno. Heck! At least in the movie they opened with "It is the year 2005...." so time had passed and new faces - while not a necessity - were to be expected.

Sorry. Can't see DotM until someone decides to pirate it in my country.

-airfox

11. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Are you the kind of group who bashes Micheal Bay and everything he makes, or does your country really not have theaters?

12. airfox

News Credits:
    Not a basher.

And we have theaters. Last week we got X-Men: First Class.

Why I can't see DotM? 'Cause of this. (And we now have more information regarding the ban, and is not government enforced, but Paramount enforced. But it's best not to discuss it, 'cause topics on Venezuela tend to drift toward political discussion which is a 'no-no' in the forums.)

-airfox

13. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Forgot about that, sorry to hear that.

Not sure why it's banned, there are no references to Venezuela in the film or
    anything that maybe offensive to your country as far as I know.

I'm also not sure why Catwoman was banned in Israel, but then again, would anybody care?

14. airfox

News Credits:
    :lol 

I would say: nop. :D 

And in the end, it seems it wasn't banned. Paramount just withdrew all their movies, so it seems to be a money issue. So I can't/won't see: DotM, Captain America, Cowboys and Aliens, Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, Super 8 and many more. At least in a movie theatre.

-airfox

15. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

We know Ironhide, Ratchet, Prowl, Ratchet and Optimus Prime died was their any other Autobots that died that they havent shown?

16. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Oh let's see...um...all of them. :) 

17. airfox

News Credits:
    Brawn in the shuttle.

And Arcee carries Wheeljack's and Windcharger's corpses just before Devastatores combines.

-airfox

18. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Brawn, Wheeljack and Windcharger didnt die

19. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I feel the new movies handeled it alot better. As you said alot of characters in the cartoon are just thrusted at us as if they've always been there. There was no episode where maybe we meet the underground resistance in Cybertron or perhaps a group of Autobots that were off in another part of the galaxy and joined the Autobots. The trilogy allows that. Optimus' intro says the Autobots scattered across space looking for the All-spark and at the end of TFTM 2007 he sends a message to any Autobot to come to Earth. It makes it easier to accept a new character. They weren't here all along, they have returned from a mission.
    1986 didn't understand the emotional attachment to some of those characters. Kids weren't going to forget the cast of characters they grew to care about because their were new toys to buy. THe movie was supposed to be a big toy commercial where most of the original cast is replaced. I still like inspite of the fact they killed off alot of my favorites and yes I am still mad at Hot ROd.

20. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    I've actually considered that. :lol 

:lol  If that's true... :lolol 

But in the MTMTE (G1 Ep. 1), it was shown there were both Autobots & Decepticons left on Cybertron. & again when the Stunticons & Aerialbots were made in The Key to Vector Sigma. & the Search for Alpha Trion showed FEMALE TransFormers as a Resistance ON Cybertron. Between 1985 & 2005, it's logical that the remaining Autobot's fled Cybertron when the Decepticons took control.

The movie was never expected to stand completely alone. If so, they'd've had to introduce the whole G1 cast all over again, & it didn't.

Check the 2005 Boards: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...decepticons-who-died-1986-animated-movie.html

You had to know there'd be at least one thread.

Not quite. Jazz, the Dinobots & a few others from the G1 cast survived... & a few were never shown one way or another.