Transformers the Movie (1986) is 25 Years Old Now!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    On this day 25 years ago, Transformers the Movie was released in theatres. It's amazing on this day this is when Optimus Prime died for the very first time, Unicron revealed himself, Megatron became Galvatron and Rodimus arised.

Today I am wearing my Transformers '86 T-Shirt that has the 86 Autobots and unicron and later will watch the Movie.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I was 14, first in line for the first show. It was a full house, and one of the best momments of my life.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was 7. I saw it in the theater in West Palm Beach Florida while we were down there for vacation. I'll never forget it, great stuff, while traumatizing at the same time

4. chrizgrv

chrizgrv lurker in the depths

I watched it this morning. happy 25th

5. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I watched it last month, at 21 years of age; and I loved every single second of it. I wish I could've seen it as a kid (even though I was only born in '89). I might be a totally different person today. lols okay maybe not but still.

6. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I didn't see it right when it hit threaters. There was a theater where I lived that would air movies for months after they were done airing in other theaters. So season three was probably in full swing when I saw it in the theater.

7. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I still love the movie, so much of my fondness for Transformers is due to the animated feature.

I can't help but remember my very first spoiler. Before I had even seen the movie, some random kid just wandered up to me to inform me who Galvatron 'really was'. I knew it was pretty special then.

8. jcard2005

jcard2005 Well-Known Member

I saw it at the theater with a few friends when I was 10. Primes death was the biggest event in the whole movie. I left the theater beside myself trying to figure out what I just saw. Great movie and would love to see it on the big screen :) 

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Wow, I was -11 at the time.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Transformers the Movie changed my life. Until I saw it, I was well on the way to becoming a psychopath terrorist with intentions to change and dominate the world.

Instead, Optimus Prime showed me that the noble sacrifice of heroes will always ensure the triumph of good over evil, and so I abandoned my childhood plans.

So instead of working toward world domination my life has become a 9 to 5 humdrum existance interspersed with semi regular injections of Transforming plastic crack!

So here's to you, uh, Film can TFTM'86!

:p 

11. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Best movie ever.... ok maybe not but it is amazing and it means a lot to me. I think I will watch it today

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was 30 when I waited in line that warm August Morning 25 years ago... Even then I was shocked to see Optimus Prime die. Once that happened, I never looked at Hot Rod the same way again. Anyway, I'll be watching the Movie again tonight, even have a Facebook event for it. :D 

13. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Wait.... so you're 55?!:eek: ?!:eek: ?!:eek: ?!:eek: ?!:eek: ?!?:eek: !?!:eek: 

14. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

25 years? Damn.

I never did see the film at the cinema, instead I made do with the Marvel comic adaptation.

I guess like may others today I'll be digging out the dvd.

15. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

I was barely 8 years old by a week and some change - stuck in the utter hell that was Kinder-Care over the summer, since I wasn't yet considered old enough by my Mom to stay at home all day during the week by myself. Over the many days and weeks of the summer, we'd get to go to the movies as a daycare group. Sometimes (more often than not) the girls won out on majority vote, but this time the boys did. We were going to Transformers: The Movie on opening day. At the Bama 6 theater. Hells yeah. :D 

Words cannot describe what this flick did to my still innocent and feeble mind, as well as my ever-growing and racing imagination. Simply put, IT WAS THE SHIT. The raw, visceral edge of the soundtrack, the brutality and escalation of the violence - it was all so hard-hitting and just seared into my brain like a hot knife through butter. You felt like the conflict between the factions had really reached a whole new level. Characters were DYING, actual sacrifices were being made for victory and triumph - it all felt so HUGE, as the stakes really were raised in the film. Just complete and utter magnificence to behold. For the first time in my life, I began to understand real heroes could give their lives for the benefit of others, and that they might not always just saunter off into the sunset with barely a scratch. That death was truly possible in such conflict and sometimes necessary to win. Seeing Prime go cold still gives me chills to this day, even knowing now he comes back anyway - it's still that powerful. This film, despite so many obvious flaws and animation errors visibly apparent after endless viewings, is still in my personal estimation, 100% perfection and the highest milestone of this long-running and expansive franchise. There's just nothing else like it. It represents, IMO, the absolute finest moment that is Transformers. The opening notes of the tremendous Vince DiCola score as Unicron floats towards Lithone - just IMMENSE and still so moving and epic as this grand adventure that never tires or gets old, unfolds before you.

They really don't take chances like this anymore with money-making "kiddie" franchises and animated entertainment of a generalized and licensed sort. This flick broke all the rules for its day. It defined an era of 80's cool with its amped-up new-wave metal soundtrack tunes and hard-as-nails atmosphere while also maintaining a sense of comedy and charm from the series that felt familiar and inviting, with polish never before seen to such impressionable eyes. It's easily a contender for my favorite film of all time. I love it with all my heart and soul.

I will be re-watching my glorious Madman Blu-ray later this evening in celebration, while also grinning big at my beloved original VHS release standee that proudly adorns our living room.

[​IMG]

Lastly, Vince DiCola and Stan Bush, you both deserve a shout-out here as well. Without your glorious soundtrack contributions to this film, it would not have maintained some of the impact it continues to hold today. In particular, "The Touch" defines the magic that this film contains so well - it really is the perfect anthem and musical voice for the incredible and ever-lasting power of the '86 movie.

Here's to another 25 amazing years. YEAH!!! :thumb 

16. Badwolf00

Badwolf00 Wrath of Everblight

I first saw it when I was 8 years old on VHS and have watched it ever since, now I'm 25 and I still watch it! I can practically recite the movie line for line. Awesome memories!

17. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    I remember seeing it in the theater. i was 10 almost 11 and i remember it like it was yesterday....sort of.

but when i saw this i was hoping thre was news on another Blu ray release.

18. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

this^^.

I was six. Unicron transforming blew my mind.

19. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was 10 when I saw it in theaters with my father. I think Optimus Prime's death shocked him as much as it did me. I showed it to my wife for the first time a few weeks back and she loved it.

20. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished watching it, still a great ride.