Transformers: The Movie 1986 getting remastered this September!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by megatronski, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

So is there a definitive recommendation on which format to watch this in (4:3 vs 16:9)?

I generally opt for the least amount of info lost, but it sounds like there's conflicting information on which version that would be.

2. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I'm glad I read these last few pages, I had forgotten that my video settings reset when I restored my PS3 last year. It looks better than it did last night, which was already way better than my old Rhino DVD. I'll have to watch it again when I get back from Suicide Squad tonight.

My local Best Buy didn't get any in, luckily the girl at BB told me to try HMV. They had the DVD, BD and the Steelbook, bought the BD for the reversible cover.

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet. Thanks.

4. RobotRooster

RobotRooster Member

This is basically what's happening.

Here's a reference to RGB settings: RGB: Full vs. Limited - Reference Home Theater

5. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    What about RGB settings for Xbox One, anyone know?

6. Viper Commando

Viper Commando Active Member

1. Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select All Settings.
    4. Select Display & sound, and then select Video output.
    5. Select Color Space, and then select PC (RGB full)

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

OK, that at least would make sense. I'm familiar with limited vs full RGB. It's just confusing to say that the video is encoded for full RGB when the black levels were clearly set with reference home theater levels in mind, and when the encoded stream will have an allowed value range of 0-255 no matter what. It's not "encoded for PC" it just has the wrong flag set for a stream that was encoded for limited RGB. This would be something that went wrong either while authoring the disc (Blu-Ray keeps a lot of its metadata outside of the actual video files), or while multiplexing the already-encoded stream into an m2ts file. If Shout! Factory is directing inquiries to their encoder guys instead of their disc authoring guys, maybe that's one reason the complaint has gone unanswered.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  8. Horzzo

Horzzo Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is going to be a wider release to other stores? I was never able to find a copy and would love it as a birthday gift to myself.

9. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Any hidden Easter eggs? What is the Egbert you guys are talking about?

10. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be surprised if it was. Target and Best Buy have cut back on their DVD and blu-ray sections. Had Shout promoted the movie as a kids film, which I am guessing they didn't, it might gotten some more coverage.

11. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I found it at Walmart yesterday with their new releases display. Was plesently suprised as I had figured I'd have to buy on online.

12. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None at my Wal-Mart or target at all! No dvd or Blu-ray! This is sad. How did shout fail so bad here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I put in my copy of the Madman Bluray from a few years back. I forgot just how dirty the film used for this transfer is. So much dust all over each shot. Since the Madman Bluray film is so dirty, it is obviously a different copy than what was used for the new Shout Bluray.

Anyways, some people were complaining about the new Shout Bluray, how Hot Rod's face looks blurry during a couple frames of the fishing scene. The Madman Bluray has the same problem! So my guess is that this is an issue with every copy of the film, not any mistake with the way Shout did their transfer, or the individual copy that Shout transferred from.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is Wal-mart or Target not ordering any Shout's fault?

15. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Yeah I honestly don't understand the mentality of getting angry for not being able to find something like this at retail, which was available for preorder from Amazon for months at $19.99.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    Totally agree. ^^^^^ I am quite shocked so many people are complaining at not finding it at a store when Amazon could have shipped it to you the day it was released. I had my copy last Tuesday and didn't have to hunt and peck to find it. More of you should really use all tools available to get what you want.

• Like Like x 1
  17. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Well, shipping-fees ain't free if you're not a Prime member for it. Not everyone here has AMZ-Prime membership, or can even afford one.

I reckon it costs an additional $6.50 shipping-fees or more for a $19.99 item for a regular delivery-time (5-7 days?) . That's in addition to the respective state's sales-tax fees.

Getting it from retail stores nullifies that additional shipping-fees and additional wait-times.

If the item is available in retail stores, that is...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  18. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I understand there are still some people that are holdouts that like to buy toys in person as opposed to online cause they can inspect paint jobs.

But for a mass-produced item like a bluray or CD that are all the same regardless? I don't understand the desire to drive to the store and pick it up in person when amazon has eliminated that hassle from our lives completely.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    Well....the way I look at it....you pay a little more to guarantee you have it....instead of all the time it takes to go from store to store to only find out they don't know what you are talking about...

• Like Like x 1
  20. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

People have their own shopping routines and don't usually change it.

People can and do call their local wally's or bb's to check availability, so they don't have to drive to stores. They can also order it at either and do a ship-to-store.

In this case, I reckon most people just check when they're already in the stores to buy something else.

It's kinda really silly and wasteful to drive out to the retail store just for a single blu-ray or dvd.

About as similarly silly and wasteful to pay additional shipping-fees for just a single blu-ray or dvd...