Transformers: The Headmasters Collection Boxset released in Australia

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Darkon_Sigma, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Darkon_Sigma

Darkon_Sigma New Member

G'day guys,
    Wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the news forum or not so here it goes.
    These details were lifted from the MADMAN Australia site:

TRANSFORMERS! HEAD ON!

You may have thought the tales of the Transformers were over, but in Japan there were many stories yet to be told!

By popular demand, the Japanese continuation of the TRANSFORMERS begins here! Replacing events of the US 4th Season, classic G1 characters return for all-new titanic clashes. A year since the energy of the Matrix was released, Optimus Prime leads the Autobots on Cybertron, but peace is soon shattered as Galvatron and the Decepticons launch a deadly offensive. Both sides gain new allies with the startling arrival of the Headmasters!

Prepare to meet new friends, foes, and many familiar faces as the Autobots, led by the immense power of Fortress Maximus, battle the Decepticons led by the monstrous Scorponok. With both Cybertron and Earth's very existence at risk, war spans the far reaches of the galaxy and some heroes will not survive!

Contains 35 episodes

Release Date: 07/11/2007
    Languages: English, Japanese
    Genre: Mecha, Anime, Retro Collection
    Subtitles: English subtitles
    Number of Discs: 4
    Runtime: 875.0 mins
    Format: DVD, All Regions (PAL)
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio

I hope that copying and pasting info is ok, this is my first post after all. I thought I'd bring this to the attention of people so that the news gets round, it's currently available at JB-HiFi stores and Ezy DVD stores country wide (Australia) and most likely others but I've personally only seen them on shelf at these stores (Warrawong).
    So with that I hope this info is useful to someone and that all aussies should "Transform, and Roll Out" and buy this awesome boxset.

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
  3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Any idea if the english track is that really horrible dub? 'Billy' and whatnot. Was there ever another official dub? I don't mind watching it in Japanese w/subtitles at all, but I'm curious nonetheless.

4. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I really want this but will likely wait till the new year to order it from downunder. I hear the subtitles have been redone so the Decepticons aren't Destrons and Prime isn't Convoy so on. Subtitling is the only way to go without the original voice cast or very good facsimilies.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    is this identical to the set released in the UK earlier this year? (besides the cover)

6. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

Good find. However, I'm worried if this edition will play on my DVD Player. I live in the US.

7. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    It's the same horrible dub that helps in the (unintentional) comedy value of the series.

I recall Chris McFeely (as he worked on the UK Metrodome releases) commenting on the different running time of the Madman set compared to Metrodome's, and speculated Madman might have somehow secured some of the missing footage that was not included in the UK release.

Of course, nobody is sure until they own or get a hold of both versions and do a comparison. Obviously, Chris' commentary tracks won't be on Madman's version.

8. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    So, every country in the world is releasing a Headmaster's set except USA? Seems like it.

9. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I've heard, while the sets are not identical (in terms of packaging, extras, and I assume menus), the EPISODES themselves DO appear to be the same as the seen on the Metrodome set. Can't explain the different runtime, but from what people have been saying on other boards, all indications are that the episodes are the ones missing the pre-title-card sequences and next-ep previews, and the subtitles still feature the mistakes from the Metrodome version. No word, however, on whether any of the English-dub-synching issues on the Metrodome set have been fixed for Madman's.

Just to mention it, though, for those that are interested, Madman has included TWO subtitle tracks - one using the Japanese names and terminology, and one using the English.

10. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Aww :( 

11. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    I really thought this would be the year we'd see these released in the U.S.
    The funny thing about the dubbing is, I'm certain there's plenty of fans who would gladly donate their time to doing voices for one, and it'd no doubt be much better than the kind Saban and the like usually do.

12. Polrayne

Polrayne Member

I think that is an awesome idea - however I can see Hasbro and Takara freaking out because all their focus is driven toward the new animated series. Even though fans would do it for free, myself included, the amount of money that it would take to add a new dub to the existing dvd's is pretty substantial, imo. However with all the buzz of Transformers now, at least in the States, I'm sure that they (Hasbro/Takara) would get their return and then some. Probably enough to get Cullen and Welker back as the named talent and then some fans to voice everyone else. Perhaps tfw2005 could sponsor a fun contest for fans to submit short excerpts of their favorite characters to be in the new recording and draw revenue from that to support the recording....

Like how I dragged them into this....

Seriously though - its time for a little old school to come back in style and finally tap into the market of 30+year olds who want the good old days back. Plus they have waaaay more money than the average kid/teenager that the new animated series is obviously geared toward and would definitely buy this.

13. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    I seem to recall there being a Masterforce fan-dub effort, maybe we could spearhead on here....

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    strewth! throw another sheila on the barbie, sport!

15. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    How do the Japanese episodes view when they've been dubbed into English? The few Japanese episodes I've seen always have a narrator, telling the viewer exactly what's happening on-screen. It's great for blind people, but I've always found it insulting to my intelligence that someone thinks I must be told what I'm watching. I'd really like to see these, but if the English version has the constant narration, I'm going to have to pass (too bad too, 'cause I liked the Optimus/Rodimus sequence in the Japanese version, before old Optimus sacrificed himself).

I totally agree--getting those two back would sell the series in North America. The coolest thing about the movie (for me) was that Peter Cullen was back. I've heard the video game sucked, but I'm waiting for the price to drop to buy it just because he and Welker reprised their roles in it!

Count me in!

16. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Not here. :( 

We don't even get G1 released here.

(But there are a lot of Beast Machines sets lying around on Blockbuster stores)

-airfox

17. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Hasbro probably wants to avoid the Japanese G1 cartoons because:

A. It's not their continuity
    B. The shows are kind of stupid
    C. There's more than an undercurrent of sexism, being japanese-written for a japanese audience. Hasbro would probably want to avoid that sort of thing.
    D. The shows are virtually unknown outside of TF fans and would consequently attract a small customer base.

Redubbing it would take a long time and cost alot of money. Welker and Cullen are expensive, and yet few people outside of the industry and cartoon fanbases know who they are, so they aren't 'star names' that would attract paying customers.

18. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weeeeeeeeee i'm gonna go get this from the EZYDVD shop :D 

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I got this item today.....while the undercurrent of sexism as mentioned above has been going over my head, I must say that I am enjoying this greatly.

The first reason is that, well I'm getting lots of new interesting characters to enjoy and its as random as hell, I haven't had this much fun watching Transformer cartoons for a long while.

20. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    I know a lot of people watch them with the dubs on, but I personally don't. I'd rather have subtitles. But that's just me and I'm one person.