Transformers The Game Premiere - NYC

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by BMGFX, Jun 22, 2007.

1. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

[​IMG]
    After getting a heads up about a Transformers The Game premiere party in NYC from TFW2005’s Tony Bacala, I said why not and signed up to attend. I was expecting something similar to the previous previews I had attended, having a TV with the game and being shown how it played. I figured that since it was a premiere party, we would be able to play the game first hand. In a way, I was right, but my expectations were surpassed.

I’ll get to the gameplay in a bit, but first the atmosphere of the party itself. Right off the bat you could tell this event was a bit special, as it was at a nice club by the name of Cielo, which is around the meat packing district on the west side of Manhattan. When I got there, a decent sized line of people were already waiting, with a big stretch Hummer sporting wrap around graphics for Stride chewing gum, one of the party sponsors. Free gum was handed out while we were on line, and soon we were asked for our names to make sure we were on the list and continued inside.

[​IMG]

Upon entering Cielo, we were handed raffle tickets and then entered the main “ballroom”. Cielo is a moderately sized, dimly lit, nightclub, with a bar on the west side and a DJ on the east, with an in ground dancing floor in the middle. There wasn’t much dancing, except for the Dance Dance Revolution set up. Aside from Transformers and DDR, there were also many big HDTVs with Guitar Hero, Wii Sports, and Spiderman 3 being played on. The games like DDR, Guitar Hero, and Wii Bowling had competitions for prize packages. Other prizes such as iPod shuffles, game packages, and goody bags were raffled, as well as a final grand prize of a XBOX 360 with guitar hero and other games, plus more. Unfortunately, I didn’t win anything.

There was a plethora of Stride gum being handed out as well as laid put on tables, so if you had a decent sized bag you probably could have got a year’s worth of gum. Unfortunately, my bag was full of camera equipment. Stride representatives walked around in lab coats and hairnets and either offered you gum or challenged you to a game of ping pong which was in an outdoor area. Speaking of the outdoor area, there was also a photo area where you could have your picture taken on a green screen and get it printed out with a Transformers background. I bumped into TFW2005 member nemesis kidd and we got our photo taken.

[​IMG]

Back in the club itself you could grab drinks (non-alcoholic unfortunately) and get some small foods from various good looking women walking around. There was definitely a friendly atmosphere, and people seemed to enjoy themselves. I bumped into New York City TF press circuit extraordinaire Ben Yee and talked a bit about the game. Also, a kind fellow from The Allspark was present and we went back and forth playing the game.

[​IMG]

Now, onto the game we go. Transformers Game Producer Greg Capuano was the lone representative from Activision, and he fielded questions from people playing the game with style, grace, tenacity, accuracy, and speed. It was good to talk to him about general game developing, and was nice to see his interest in the game. The news heard a while back about G1 skins being included was a nice feature to have, but some people thought it might look weird on the new game models. However, unlike previously reported, the next gen game will feature two new models, G1 Optimus Prime and G1 Megatron. It should be fun to play around the game with them, although I wonder how they will make Megatron work.

After watching people play around with the game, I finally sat down and got to some gaming. The game itself was the retail version, so everyone was sampling the final product. As far as choices went, you could play select boards of either the Autobot or Decepticon side. If you picked the Decepticons, you would be able to play as Blackout and Scorponok, and if you picked the Autobots you would play as Bumblebee. The first time around I played with Bumblebee.

[​IMG]

After a quick options change to turn my vertical aiming inverted (I apologize to anyone who played after me and wondered what the hell was wrong with the controls, as I forgot to change them back one time), I took off on a chase of two Decepticon drones. You have to track the drones down and destroy them, although that description is far too short for all the action that happened from beginning to end. First off, while you are driving you can shoot at things that are in front of you. From being used to driving games where the right trigger is used to accelerate, my first button choice resulted in me blowing up a bus. Not a very good thing to do as an Autobot. After getting the controls down, I set off on my chase. Now, if you expected manual shifting and a turning and braking guide as seen in Forza 2, you might be let down. The driving in the game is fast and very movie-like, with fishtailing and boosting. Lots of speed and sliding (You are rewarded for sliding). So while controlling the transmission and having simulation type handling would be nice in a racing game, I enjoyed the easier to pickup driving controls which were featured. The boost came in handy when chasing the drones, and while an enemy is driving in front of you, your aiming reticule will lock on to them and you can fire at them. After they take enough punishment, or if you get too close, they will transform and the battle is on.

With a button push Bumblebee transforms with a sweet animation. As far as the character controls went, if you are experienced in FPS controls, you should be fine. Having some experience, it was easy for me to move around and fire on target while moving and jumping. This may take a bit of getting used to for others, as I saw some people having a bit of difficulty aiming with the right stick while moving. Often people would be moving with the left stick, but firing straight ahead and away from the enemy because they weren’t moving the right stick to aim. It will take getting used to, but once you get it down you will see the advantages of that type of control scheme. The cool thing about battling other bots is that while you can pick up stuff and chucks it at them, your enemy does the same. The hard thing to do during a battle is focus on your enemy, because at first I was so drawn to the damage we were doing. I successfully executed a jumping downward punch attack that sent the two enemies in the air. It was a great move to space myself from the enemy; however, the negative effect was that the 10 cars that were around us blew up. As an Autobot, you don’t want to destroy much, so there will definitely be an element of challenge to get through enemies with minimal collateral damage. That is if you care about protecting.

After defeating the two drones (by defeat, I mean beat the crap out of until they explode into pieces), you face off against two more. This time around you are faced against much larger enemies, so it’s nice to not have to fight the same drones over and over. The overall objective is to reach Sam before the Decepticons do. If they reach him first, the mission is failed and you must start over.

[​IMG]

I went through Bumblebee’s mission, and later on tried it again, and then tried it again. The good thing is that the battles can happen in various ways, so it stays fresh. Sure, you might be doing the same objective, but one time you can drive into the enemy, knock them off the road, transform and battle. Then the next time you can meet them in a different location, transform, and blow them up before they get the chance to transform and attack you. Another time you can just make the whole ordeal a chase where you stay in car mode and take them out without transforming. You can battle from a far, or fight hand to hand up close. That being said, some of the combat moves can be repetitive. Theoretically, you can run up to enemies and keep on doing the same hand to hand fighting to get through them. However, there are enough variations in the methods of attack that if you put some variety in your gameplay, such as ramming into an enemy, firing some missiles at them, jumping up and sending them flying, picking up a car, bus, or other piece of environment and chucking it, and then use some hand to hand, you will find that battles will be very dynamic if you choose them to be.

[​IMG]

Now for Blackout and Scorponok. In the first mission, you receive an order from Starscream to destroy some communications vehicles, so Blackout sends Scorponok to do it. When you play as Scorponok, you do not transform. Push the usual button to transform, and you will dive underground. If you are moving forward regularly, you will automatically go underground. While underground, you move a lot faster. You can stay underground as long as you want, or until you reach a paved area that cannot be penetrated. If you try to dive down on a paved road, you will recoil and jump back. One you reach a target, you can attack in a few different ways. Once you jump from underground, you can fire from a distance with a machine gun, use what looked like a sonic charge or missile of some sort, use a projectile that comes out of the tail (most likely not feces), or you can get up close and use physical attacks with the tail in a “stage by stage” attack as seen with bumblebee. Use the attacks in variation, and blowing up military equipment can be fun. You are racing against the clock, and I barely finished the objective in time. One thing to note is that while human military is running around, I couldn’t seem to kill them, so there might be a GI-JOE mentality, where you see guys getting out in the nick of time etc.

After completing the task, you then control Blackout, who must destroy certain vehicles as well as buildings. Being a bigger robot, the controls for Blackout seems to be a bit more sluggish when compared to Bumblebee. It felt right though, as a big guy like Blackout shouldn’t be as agile. Blackout had a bunch of attacks, such as a regular hand to hand attack, a rotor blade attack, a missile attack, and then an EMP attack. It was cool laying into buildings and watching them crumble. Tanks, choppers, and planes all come out to meet you, so you are constantly under attack, which means you need to move fast. I transformed and took into the air. Just as I mentioned with Bumblebee, you shouldn’t expect to need a yaw and foot peddles to properly take off in helicopter mode, and you don’t need to worry about wind conditions, visibility, and fuel balancing. The controls are straight forward and accessible as they should be. While in the air, you can take out buildings from above, but you also have more flight vehicles attacking. You’ll need to blow up planes and choppers (I didn’t see any parachutes from blown up vessels), while still worrying about ground threats. Once you track down the structures that need to be destroyed, you are able to move on to the next part.

[​IMG]

All in all, I found the game to be very enjoyable. The moments when there are massive amounts of carnage really give you that great moment of excitement that game developers try to make, and the variation in battle situations keep that feeling fresh. I’m not sure if the same can be said throughout the whole game, but the other playable characters make me think that the differences in character behavior as well as the different advantages and disadvantages of the characters will prevent things from getting old. In my past viewings of the game, I could see that the game looked nice, and sounded nice, but never got to experience how the game felt. This time around I got to see the visuals and feel the game controls, but the sound department was a bit lacking due to the nature of the event. Once the game comes out I’ll finally be able to enjoy the game completely.

Many people will expect the usual movie games suck formula, but the concept of Transformers is such a fresh and unused game type that the new way of playing will make its play value much higher. A game like Spiderman 3 wasn’t as well received because everyone played the previous Spiderman game and knew what to expect and were let down. Transformers will employ new gaming elements that will push it above most movie games just because it has a lot of stuff that hasn’t been used in any wide release game.

I’d expect to see a playable version of the game at Botcon, since Activision will be there for the QA. Hopefully they do so you can get some hands on time with it. After playing, it’s a for sure purchase. There are things that I would have liked to see make it into the game, such as multiplayer features, but it’s easy to understand having to make cuts on stuff when you are under a schedule, never mind having to launch with a movie. The success of this game will most likely determine future ventures with Transformers, so if the game does well, perhaps we’ll see a G1 game, or a game to go along with the next animated series.

[​IMG]

All in all, it was a fun night, and I was glad I could go. It was good to see everyone having a good time, and everyone seemed to enjoy the Transformers game, from Transformers fans to non fans. The reception was good, which lends a good outlook on how the game will do when released.

Until next time!

-Brian

2. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

WHAT A FUCKING LET-DOWN!! :lol 

3. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Good to know. Sounds like a fun game. Come on Tuesday!

4. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Pfft! I'm gettin' mine tommorrow! :rock 

5. BMGFX

It's definitely fun. It was enjoyable every time I played. Just have to see if it holds over for the whole game, and there's only one way to find that out :D 

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I am really looking forward to this game!! It's not out until Tuesday, right?

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to the Level set on Cybertron that is only available on the Gamestop Xbox360 Edition of the Game.

8. therealjamespeters

therealjamespeters Well-Known Member

Thanx for the detailed update!! Well... The only gaming console i have is the original Xbox so i wont be buying the game unless i buy an xbox 360 or a ps3.... i'm not to bothered to be honest..... I'm from singapore..and the movie opens here on the 28th this month! and I've already got tickets!! :D  I'll put a post up after i've watched to movie...although i dun think it'll be much use since someone already posted after watching the movie and gave alot of spoilers.... but I'll put a post up anyway and u guys are free to ask me anything.... :) 

9. BMGFX

I think I'm going to wait until after the movie to get it. I kind of want to see the movie first instead of being spoiled :) 

10. JBGolden

JBGolden Member

I was at the same event. It was pretty awesome! I wound up winning two prizes: One for getting a really high score in DDR (but not high enough for the bigger prize :banghead:  ) and managed to have my ticket called for one of the second prizes before ZAA GRAND PRIZE. Which was a pretty awesome bundle of stuff.

The TF game was really great. Figuring out what button was lock-on first helped much, though some people didn't use it much. The only thing I was a bit sad about wasn't being able to transform when jumping. Past that it is an awesome thing and I'm glad I pre-ordered it.

11. brothersamuel40

brothersamuel40 Mmm... munchies

HOLY CRAP!!!! :eek: 

*dies*

12. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The previous reports mentioned that there would be at least 10 G1 skins, have they changed it to just 2 G1 models instead b/c I'd have rather had 10 skins than 2 models?

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed it. There's a review linked in a different thread to another person/online entity that reviewed it and they pretty much hated it. I guess it's a good idea to rent this first.

13. nemesis-kidd

nemesis-kidd Nemesis Enforcer

BMGFX, you beat me to the post... What started off as a great evening turned out to be a rough night. As soon as I got home, my mom called me letting me know that my great-aunt passed away tonight. I had to drive to the Bronx to help her take care of the arrangements. I really don't want to put a damper on this thread...

The premiere event was really amazing! It was never over crowded. There were signs on the tv to only play for up to 10 minutes, and surprisingly there were no controller hogs, except for myself. I managed to complete 3 missions as Bumblebee before someone made their presence known next to me. As BMGFX mentioned, it really was a friendly atmosphere.

For me playing as Autobot was more exciting than playing as a Decepticon. It was probably because as Bumblebee, you fight bots right off the bat! I was in awe with Swindle's first appearance. During a drone car chase mission, my favorite maneuver was transforming into bot mode, hopping onto the building to my left, scaling the building, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, to then cut off the drone in his tracks. Sooo many methods to take out your enemy will keep this game fresh for a really long time.

Meeting up with BMGFX was great! Tell me that's not a bada$$ photo of us! The photo station was a really cool idea, a way to remember and take home the event. And the pics were free, but the drinks weren't!! ;) 

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    So that won be on the PS2 then.....damn

(Still not enough to convince me I can afford a new console)

15. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Man you have just made my day and made the next five(room for game to ship) of my life all that longer. I am thrilled to hear that the game isn't repetative and actually good. By the way were the graphics better than the stills we've seen so far?

16. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Last I heard the G1 unlockable were for all the console versions.

17. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    That sounds like a blast! Thanks for the review.

Come on 26th of June...

18. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Good job on posting this dude.

Very nice read.

19. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still need some MORE clarification on the G1 skins/models.
    I've got the strategy guide (which covers all versions of this game) and there isn't one mention of alternate G1 color schemes or codes for G1 models. Tons of other G1 related rewards but no skins, no alternate colors and no new models...

Are you saying only PS3 & XBOX 360 will get the G1 Prime & Megs models??

And it appears that there is atleast ONE Cybertron level on all console versions.
    I guess the XBOX 360 has a few more.
    Cybertron just looked more rocky then mechanical though... not impressive.

20. Lio Convoy75

Lio Convoy75 Well-Known Member

Sounds promising. You went to the premiere in NYC and you played it, but... How was the SIXAXIS support for the flight controls on the PS3 version? Did it feel right? Was it fun? C'mon, spill the beans! I see you playing a 360 version, but I'd assume they'd also have the PS3 version there for people to try the SIXAXIS support.