Transformers The Game - Nintendo Wii - Review

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundatron, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

My girlfriend purchashed me a Wii console two weeks ago so my time with it has been somewhat limited due to her and work. I only own Wii Sports and Spider-Man 3 so I aplogize that a seasoned Wii vet couldn't write this review. I was destined to buy TF for a seventh generation system and I got it for Wii, I must say I'm not dissapointed.

Graphics - 3/5
    We all know in the on-going console war that the Nintendo Wii loses to it's over-bearing high resolution rivals, the Sony Playstation 3 and the X-Box 360 from Microsoft. Most of the time the Wii's graphical capabilites are ridiculed as near Gamecube's ability. Of all I have seen and played for the Wii so far, the graphics are still excellent. The textures look great, the lighting is good and disater effects look good. Nonetheless, there is always room for improvement. Could it hurt to ask more detail in the destruction asthetics or for me not to see planes in the grassy mountains on the Suburb chapter? But perhaps the mountain just drops there. The cinematic scenes look good, except for the Sam and other human characters. They just look like life-sized puppets, the syncing with the voices look a bit off as well. The introduction also looks great, a tad bit fuzzy though. As said before, room for improvement but the Wii was capable enough of handing this game average graphics. If you want grade A graphics go fish up some dough for a hefty price of a $60 game for the PS3 or 360.

Sound - 3/5
    The theme you know from the game's official website is included in the game of course. However, the bass on it has been greatly reduced. The music in the game is rather fitting for it is epic and original. Sorry guys, no Stan Bush, Vince DiCola or great remiscnet 80's hair metal here. Sounds of explosion, gigantic metal feet hitting the ground, gun fire are all a plus. It was also great that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker supplied us with their legendary roles. We even got a nice treat from Keith David as Barricade. Then to add to that we had Megan Fox and Shia Belouf lend their voices for their roles. Could the fans ask for more? I could! How about some better audio settings instead of music - on/off, volume - 1 - 10. Sure this ain't no IMAX theatre, but hey gave me some surround sound or something. I feel like I'm stuck in mono the whole time. I have to turn the volume up to 50 just to hear it well enough. Yes they did the music and sound good, but I want to enjoy hearing it as well. Most of the time the sound effects outweigh the music in the volume department. And can a TF fan complain about not having the original transformation sound effect? The lack of a Wii speaker was bareable but still would of been a great addition. How about the Wii speaker making the transforming noise? May I suggest getting a good home entertainment system to get the most out of this game. Trust me you want to hear it.

Control - 4/5
    Control comes from both use of the Wii remote and nunchuk. You simply (with the empasis on simply) point the Wii remote in where you want to go and use the nunchuk to move toward your destination in robot mode. You may also you the Wii remote to turn by pointing it at the desired direction you want to turn and then walking with the nunchuk. Or you may do all the walking and turning using the nunchuk and then pressing the - button to recenter the camera. The A button is your primary attack, the B button is your secondary attack, the C button allows your character to pick up objects in robot mode. Wavign the nunchuk and or remote aroudn result in melee attacks. Pressing up on the d-pad will transform your character in a quick instant and pressing down on the d-pad results in a jump. Control settings will change slightyl for different character. For example with Bumblebee in car mode, use the Z button to give it the gas. For Blackout in helicopter mode, you control his altitude with the wii remote. The movement will take a while to get used to, luckily you can customize the control settings on the sensitivity between low, medium and high. You must keep in mind you are not only controlling the character but you are controlling the camera. This aspect alone opens up a whole new world in gaming. Pardon that last statement. This control of both the character, the aiming reticule and the camera gives the player so much freedom. For once you are not stuck with the played-out first person shooter view or the under-rated third person view. You can view your robotic behemoth from a ground up angle from behind of in front. You can zoom in and zoom out. Give me a mode where I can do this and take pictures and my Wii message board would be full by now. As long as one has patience you will find the control to be the best factor in the game.

Gameplay - 3.5/5
    Let me get this straight - I can transform, climb buildings, throw fallen debris, kick cars like soccer balls, shoot down helicopter and clash with other robots? Well than I'm sold on this game. The amount of freedom the player is given is overwhelming. The sub-missions are a nice bonus. Hunting down energon cubes, autobot/decepticon insignia's and making certain accomplisments to acquire bonus content. The idea alone of being a robot and either a jet, a car or a helicopter only adds to the fun factor. This game offers sheer simplistic fun that I haven't seen in along time. Sure the missions can be tough but nothing that requires no ridiculous prequisites or out-thinking A.I. You can't get tired of transforming into robot mode when your at max speed in alternate mode, just to watch your character flip, fold and land on the ground sliding away. Lifting tree's, cars, crates, trucks, cement blocks and hurling them as weapons against your foe. Of course can I be picky and ask for more. This game only offers one mode, campaign where you play along the story line of the movie so watch out for spoilers. Just like the other console ports there is no multi-player. No such thing as a instant action, survival mode or anything. I honestly think this game could benefit for at least a two-player mode. Perhaps a co-op mode or versus. Maybe we could of bent the rules and allowed for Jazz to be included in the Suburbs mission with Bumblebee even though he may not be in the movie. The idea of preset characters with each mission is a bit dissappointing. I was hoping I could pick whoever I wanted and then play through the game. The game is also relatively short and offers no out of film stories. This comes in the territory of movie-based games. But the sheer fact that you can blow stuff up and still replay your favorite missions does add to the replay factor somewhat.

Overall - 3.5/5
    With the tradition of Wii gaming thanks to its interactive controls, this game hits high up in the fun factor. Though the visuals and sound can be displeasing to few, it makes up for it in it's thrill ride of pure robot destruction. I would recomend this game mainly for TF fans. We both know only TF fans adore this game more than any non-TF fan and they will understand the hidden eastern eggs. Perhaps the little kids may find it pleasing as well. The rating maybe teen but I see no blood, guts, sex or cursing so the mom should be fine with her child controlling the war of robots. I must include that if you have an interest in the movie and the game, yet no very little of the movie or TF for that matter, play the game after the movie. The game will give you most of the spoilers, just not presented well. It can be seen as rent or buy pre-owned, nonetheless you shouldn't be dissapointed. I mean come on this game has Frank Welker. Give me Chris Latta and Scatman Crothers and this game will recieve an automatic 5/5!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Personally, I like the Wii versions character models better. they're not as cluttered as the PS3/360 versions, and just look a whole lot cleaner in general.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm having a lot of fun screwing around with the Wii version.

I even managed to snag THIS awesome screenshot with my cell phone:

[​IMG]

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

lol that is awesome!

5. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm now considering the Wii version of the TF game.

6. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Rock out Barricade! lol that's awesome.