Transformers: The Game Helps Activision Fiscal 1Q Outlook

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Activision stated today that they expect fiscal first quarter earning results to exceed expectations, driven by movie-based video games such as Transformers: The Game. Activision states they have shipped more than 1 million units of the game.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1033327920070710?rpc=44

2. Finbot74

Finbot74 Dis-Member

It's sad that both the Transformers game and the Spiderman game both sucked and yet they still made money on it. I guess there will be no motivation to do better next time.

3. RedAssAg05

RedAssAg05 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly...I grow so tired of being disappointed by the game industry...where have all the quality game designers gone? And why is no one asking these current designers WHY they decide to implement such unenjoyable gameplay features?! WHY?!

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, all in all I hope this does inspire them to make an un movie based sequal. I enjoyed it enough. Developing a game is very time consuming and costly, and not all developers get the time they want to make the game the way they want. Art takes a while to make but bug testing and programming can take much longer and movie titles are usually on a harsh deadline and the developers have little choice in the matter for when the product ships.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Most movie games suck because they're rushed to meet the deadline. The way they make money is because of the hype of the movie gets people to look for merchandise from the movie

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Oh crap :( 

7. my_time_soon

my_time_soon Member

You know what the best part about The Transformers Game is? The mind blowing cut scenes. I like how they went for that classic (crappy) look. You know what I'm talking about. It looks like it belongs on the PS1/N64 but plays on the latest consoles. Oh yeah, and the free roaming arenas, I mean "enviroments". Playing this game is all it took for me to boycott anything else Activision makes. Seriously, how can you screw this game up. They had years to make it.

8. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Regardless of how ungreat the game is me and everyone else on this board fell for it. Many movie based games are marketed well. See this is how it works for me. I was wanting to see the TF movie so bad I couldnt wait for it, wow a game is coming out cant wait to play it. I watch the movie, ya know that made me wanna play the game. Or I just bought SM3 last month, that made me want to go and watch the movie after playing it. Say what you will about the game. I for one like it, I still do now I dont love it but I do not loathe it. Nonetheless, we all fell for Activision's diabolical marketing scheme and if anything I'm cheering them on for making a monkey outta me. Because making a monkey out of someone is the greatest satisfaction anyone can recieve aside from sexual activity.

9. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I am pretty sure Activision did NOT have "years" to make this game. I am guessing a year tops, and even then they were probably slowly given info from the movie to integrate into the game. I don't know if a lot of people understand all the process and legallitys there are to making a movie licensed game. I am only defending Activision in that sense because they had a limited amount of time and came out with an average game. At least, average in terms of overall games, but better then average for me because of the TF content.

Another thing to remember is that this generation of game consoles can really take long to make a well done game. Gears of War was delayed for a year. DELAYED for a year! So you can imagine how many things you can't do or have to drop if you have a tight schedule that you HAVE to adhere to with a movie studio telling you to change things constantly. Had Activision been given another year and Microsoft kinda money, you'd see something much more special, but they didn't have that.

10. my_time_soon

my_time_soon Member

I think there is a difference between "diabolical marketing" and "flat out lying". If you check out any game related site pre-release the most time anyone got to play Transformers was 10 minutes. Just enough time to run around and complete an objective. NEXT! What level were they introduced to? Starscream. Oh yeah, ofcourse the game is going to be cool if you can be Starscream right away. My whole gripe is they had plenty of time to develop a kick ass game. How can you go wrong with the Grand Theft Auto formula? Plus, check the trailers. Where do you see clarity like that anywhere in the game? Consumers shouldn't be made monkeys of. Especially when we can break a company just like that. Like I said before, I am not buying another Activision product again. I guess the lesson learned here is rent first buy later. Now ya'll excuse me while I dig bugs out of my fur and eat them.

11. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    They did not have a lot of time to make a kickass game.

12. my_time_soon

my_time_soon Member

I guess they didn't have plenty of time to make a kick ass game.
    Thanks Liege. I guess the more posts you have the more you know. My bad. How much time did they have exactly? I tried to find out from Activision, but my email was responded to with a generic one, then, when they didn't hear from me within 72 hours they considered the incident closed. I wonder what they are doing over there? Obviously not answering emails.

13. my_time_soon

my_time_soon Member

Sorry about that Liege, I guess I'm still p.o'ed at the fact that a company with 16 departments, with 12 sub companies, across 8 states couldn't even do a smidgen better. Lesson learned

14. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    You know as lackluster as the console version is (But Far superior to SpiderMan) It's the DS game that truly shines and deserves to be bought and supported.

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    The average Development time of a video game is 32 months, from concept to shelf. A Movie tie-in has to wait for licensing confirmation, finalized designs and a basic script to work off of. cutting thier development time down to 18 months on the outside. given how many re-designs the characters went through and how long it took to hire VA's for the movie it gave Travelers Tales even less time. Remember Activision didn't make the game, they just published it. And If you stop and LOOK at the game nothing is skimmed. the character models are stellar the levels are big and the fighting is pretty tight. every thing that suffers is really from a lack of time.... and poor drivers AI....seriously who rushes thier cars to the feet of a giant robot fight?

16. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Well I personally am glad to support the cause, it was only $20 at target when I bought it, and yeah, the gameplay isn't too great, but at least it exists. Two months ago when some friends and I were buying some other games, it really was just a question of what game sequel are we gonna get? So I was happy about something new. Hopefully with the success of this game, and the greenlight for a 2nd movie, they will have time to really develope a better game for the next go round. That is why I think the $20 was worth it, so that they will give us a sweet game next time

17. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Nintendo and the big companies make less games than probably most of these movie games' developers, but they take the time and hold off on release until the game can really shine. Look at LOZ:TP, Mario, and other games. They're good because they took the time to make them. The movie games aren't as good because they don't have the time. They're rushed out to meet the release, even if they aren't fully ready.

18. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I don't blame Activision. I for one, liked Spider-man 3: The Game. Yeah the camera sucked ass, but I felt like I was Spider-man swinging around and webbing up criminals. I was really excited for both games, and felt that Spider-man delivered and TF didn't. And I love the Transformers franchise a lot more than Spider-man in general. A lot. So the TFgame was a huge disappointment to me.

Anyway, I blame Traveler's Tales. They made the game. Activision just published it. TT could have made a ton of little changes to make the game better with barely any effort. How about not having one of your comrades annoying the shit out of you every 2 minutes by telling you to start the next mission? It's supposed to be a free roaming game. If you're gonna do that, then just have the next mission start right away! Make up your mind! Don't give us guns if they can barely be used. Transformers don't have force-field shields on them....well except for Trailbreaker.... Seriously, it's like they didn't know exactly what to make and couldn't make up their minds. Yeah the Lego Star Wars games were fun, Traveler's Tales, but they're still crappy games. Have to do better for Transformers. Or face the ineffectual and insignificant ranting of thousands of fans on the internet!

Activision has published a lot of good games. Movie games are rushed, but aren't always terrible. In any case, the developer is to blame. Sure, they could have done better with more time, but I'm sure other developers have made better games with the same amount of time or less. Of course, I could just be talking out of my ass. I'm sure that last line will be the part of this that gets quoted.

19. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I've only played SM3 but yeah it's fun. Short, needs alot more depth but I bought the game solely for the feel of Spider-Man and did I get it? Yes I did.

20. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I am sorry they didn't respond to your email, but the first time it was confirmed who was working on the game was only the February of last year. Not to say they didn't start before that, but they probably didn't start too much earlier. Here is a link to the news announcement at Gamespot.com:
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/transformersmovie/news.html?sid=6165741

Anyways, it's not the number of posts I have that makes me know anything more then you, but I do know a lot about the game industry and I am just trying to point some things out that may make you not be so hasty in boycotting Activision. Them, and Travlerers Tales don't make a lot of games I like, and the TF game is not incredible, but it's just good to be fair on both ends.