Transformers the DVD. THE TRUE CONSPIRACY!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I was watching the DVD the other day, and I am under the immpression that the DVD qaulity has been purposfully impared, shots that weren't grainy on my "Recorded in the theatre on a camcorder" copy are just salty on the Official DVD, features on the Transformers body that I could see were blurred into the body.

I think that They downgraded the visual qaulity of the dvd to sell more HD-DVD copies....in fact I'm sure of it, the evil continues!

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    If they put any more blur on the Transformers I'll go blind watching it again.

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol 

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Are you on drugs? Seriously... they won't make the picture look blurry or grainy on purpose.

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe they decreased the DVD quality so that they could increase the illegal downloads of "Recorded in the theatre on a camcorder" versions.

7. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:

Thus the MPAA could bust more people for stealing. Its all connected.

8. Heatseeker

Heatseeker ;)

Go watch a VHS film before turning on your DVD. That'll bring the quality back. :D 

9. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

Microsoft (and of course BAY) is to blame! Well... They were going to be mentioned here sooner or later...
    I just know it! The movie's not out for another 24 hours.. Where, pray tell, did you get your "advanced copy" from, hmmm?

The conspiracy thickens..

In any case, I've got my HD-DVD on preorder.. Can't wait will it ships! GARGH..

10. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Perhaps posting some screencaps from both copies would aid in a fair comparison.

Personally - I could believe what you are saying is true (i.e. about the apparent quality difference) - it depends on the resolution of the camcorder vs the DVD. The cinema screening is better than HD quality - so if you recorded onto a camcorder that had a higher resolution than SD - that could explain the extra detail. Also - if the camcorder shot was zoomed in more than the DVD then that could also explain the extra detail.

As for grain - in low light conditions the camcorder may have a noise suppression that counteracts some of the artsy grain effect intentionally put into the move.

As for Paramount intentionally degrading the DVD quality - I just dont know. I doubt they would because they would get murdered by fans if it was ever found to be true - however with the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray fiasco that they have intentionally drawn out, I guess anything is possible. In the light of their explaination that they went with HD-DVD because it has the better picture quality (which is utter crap) - it could be a marketing ploy for HD-DVD.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:

Funny AND true.

12. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Funny thing is if you think they intentionally degraded the video you may be right. However you are daft if you think they did it to force adoption of another format especially when numbers in the HD + BR arena are so low. Almost all studios will create the initial copy in a lackluster quality See any of the pirates of the caribean for evidence. The reason any studio will do this is two reasons 1 it allows them to make a cheap version of the dvd and 2 it allows them to charge more for the special edition ones that usually have a better quality.

I bet you they are already planning an even more extensive DVD and HD-DVD with better audio and video than the initial batch because they know those of us who like the transformers would buy the first batch then they put out the ultimate edition and there is no way we cant buy it. No to mention it usually takes longer and costs more to remaster for better quality and add in ALL the extras.

Similar to this when Sony took it to extremes and offered an aweful video quality transfer version of the Fifth Element on Blu Ray that was so bad they had to issue a recall based on customer complaints but did not refund the customers when they offered a Vastly superior remastered version.

So I guess if you dont want poor DVD quality you probably should by the 2 DVD boxset and not the single as it is low end disc.

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    They didn't offer a refund but they did allow customers of the original to trade up to the new version at no cost.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=252

14. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    anybody who has the DVD early before the actual release has a bootlegged copy.

Now that makes total sense

Thus the graininess

15. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    Or they work in a video rental place, like me...

16. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought that was illegal...but then who would post that on a public message board if it were...silly me...here I thought it was just another bitchaboutbay thread.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, the part where you admitted having an illegal copy in your first post makes everything else you say suspect.

18. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Friend works at Blockbuster thus the early screening. got my bootleg from a friend who got it from a customer at his wifes work....and I didn't pay a dime for it, after already buying 3 tickets, the soundtrack, and getting the DVD tonight....so my concious is clear

Too be more direct, in the scene were Optimus is scanning the glasses you can see mud on his windows, watching the official DVD on an HD 56" plasma screen....The Mud was not there, OR more accuratly the picture qaulity was such crap you could not discern it.

19. kipco

kipco Cybertronian Relastate

sorry guys, I'm not buyin' this story. Two things: first, watching regular DVD's on a HD set, especially one so big can sometimes impare the viewing. 2nd, thats why they make HD DVD's. Its like watching regular cable on a HD t.v. It sucks, but looks okay on a regular t.v. Watching HD cable on a HD t.v. looks great. And there you have it you tech-less peeps.

20. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I wonder if Mulder ever considered that the aliens he was looking for were actually giant robots...