Transformers That Are Better In Hand Than In Pictures, and Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Polenicus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I think this has happened to everyone. You see a picture of a new toy... in pictures it looks AWESOME. You rush out to get it as soon as it's available, eagerly bring it home and...

... Meh.

It's not bad (Or maybe it is) but it just isn't as cool as you thought it was.

Conversely, you see a figure in pictures... and it doesn't look like anything special. Then, somehow it finds its way into your hands. A gift, an impulse buy... whatever.

And you're completely blown away with how awesome this figure is!

Any stories? Here are a few of mine:

Meh Picture - Awesome in-hand

ROTF Thrust

Honestly, I was NOT feeling the Breakaway mold. It wasn't just the Weebo face, though that didn't help... it just seemed kind of kibbly and partially transformed.

I picked up ROTF Thrust on impulse to flesh out my Decepticons, and because I honestly liked the Jet mode. Wow. I was impressed even without any modding. Yes, head articulation is a sore point for me, and I usually dock major points for being as limited as Thrust, but... even WITH that docking, he's still one of my favorite ROTF figures.

Naturally, I modded him, and he's probably my favorite movie jet design. Why couldn't Starscream have looked like that?

Awesome Picture - Meh in-hand.

There are SEVERAL of these, but the most glaring has to be ROTF Soundwave.

He's not a bad mold by any stretch. But it's just the contrast between what I saw in the pictures, and what he was.

When I saw the pictures, I was drooling. something about the camera angles and the poses really brought out his regal bad-ass-ness. He looked powerful, winged and dark... he was the friggin' Transformer Batman. Who cared what his alt mode was?

I got him, and soon discovered the fatal flaw. Soundwave is short. Not just in pure stature, but in proportion. He's a Hobgoblin. His extremely wide body, shoulders and short legs, though none out of proportion enough on their own to hurt, all combine to banish him to the Lollipop Guild. The uncertainty of his transformation doesn't help either, leaving me wishing SOMETHING locked into place SOMEWHERE on his robot mode, if just to dispel the constant, niggling doubt that tells me he just looks like that because I'm doing it wrong, and somewhere, there's some alchemical formula for his transformation that will result in the awesomeness I saw in the pictures.

2. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Yup, we have ALL been through this. Like ROTF Jolt for me. i thought he looked rubbish in the pics, but i found him half price at Tesco and found out that he is one of the best ROTF deluxes out there!

3. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it was Universe Powerglide. He looked cool in pictures but once I got him I was very disappointed.

4. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

This. HATED Jolt form the pics. Plastic crack fix only because he was on sale for $8.00. With a little back kibble rearrangement and a foot rotation, he's tied in my top 3 movie figures with Ejector and Hoist.

Conversely, I bought the Backyard Brawl (Mixmaster & Hoist) solely for Mixmaster. As it turns out, Mixmaster's robot mode isn't great in the first place, but my individual figure is such a floppy piece of crap that regardless of how I pose him, over the next few days he does the splits and falls over. The only reason that he isn't in the garbage, is because I love the neon green alt mode.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Better than the pictures:
    Energon Demolishor, Classics Optimus Prime (back when, didn't look too exciting in pics), Animated Arcee

Less interesting than the pictures:
    Armada Tidal Wave, Energon Mirage, Universe Powerglide, Animated Waspinator

6. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Breakaway and TFA Freeway Jazz. Both are much better in hand than in pics.

edit: I'll throw ROTF Jolt up there too. Very fun, solid deluxe car transformer.

7. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Better than pictures:
    Yep, I'll agree with ROTF Thrust. Also, remember the Classics Mirage prototype pics we got way back when? He was NOT very attractive... it wasn't until someone bought him and showed off his posability that he started looking like something worth getting, and even then, he was more fun in-hand!

Better in pictures:
    ROTF Voyager Megatron, Universe 2.0 Storm Cloud (I missed Powerglide). Just... never was super pleased with these guys.

There's probably more, but I'm still waking up.

8. Blasterpwns

Blasterpwns Regretting my username...

I got a TRU haul when they had an online sale on the Universe Voyagers and Ultras. I picked up Onslaught, Silverbolt, what I thought was a meh Dropshot, and what I thought was an awesome Heavyload.

I couldn't have been so backwards about the two.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    OK in picture, awesome in hand:

Energon Landquake. One of the very few TF's I own that I didn't deliberately look for, I got him because I happened to spot him on clearance and decided to give him a chance. He's without question my favorite Autobot from Energon, likely favorite Autobot out of all of the Unicron Trilogy and would probably be in my top 10 Autobot molds of all time. He's got a great little transformation, the brute mode works, and he's the first TF I ever got that made the transformation noise.

Honerable Mentions: Animated Battle Begins Optimus Prime, G1 Omega Supreme.

Looks better then it is:

Sadly, several entries here.

Takara Masterpiece Starscream. Truthfully I don't own the figure, but a close friend of mine does and it's a shock how different the photoshopped box and the product inside are, criminally so.

BW Rampage/Shokaract. The figure looks great. Fiddling with the treads, not so much. I often see complaints about a transformation being not enough for them and usually I scratch my head about the complaint, but here I could label it so, because I never get that feeling that I've completed the change. I keep expecting there to be something more to it, there's no sense of satisfaction when I finish any transformation.

Energon Scorponok. The only Energon Decepticon I actually don't like. He looks great in the pictures, but in person, there's something wrong with it, but I'm not quite sure what. I don't like the shoulders, but there's more to it then that.

Live Action movie Voyager Starscream. I didn't think it looked that great in pictures, however I was repeatedly recommended to give him a try. In hand, it's without a doubt the Transformer I loathe that I own.

Honerable metnions: BM Tankorr and countless others.

10. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Better in hand: TFA Arcee. I wasn't super stoked for her, but when I had her in my hand...wow. I was blown away by the transformation, look, articulation and so on. In my opinion, she's better than Bludgeon.

Worse in hand: Cybertron Mode Ratchet. Very average toy, but looked pretty awesome in the pictures.

11. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    meh in pic, wow in person: alternity cliff and bee

wow in pic, meh in person: universe silverbolt, movie 1 premium megatron, rotf deluxe ratchet

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I avoided ROTF Dead End because I didn't dig the pictures. I like the Sideways mold though, so I picked him up on a whim yesterday. And now I can't stop fiddling around with him. Go figure.

13. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Alternity Bumblebee looks much better in hand. I think Alternators Optimus Prime looks better in hand as well.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Universe Heavy Load is a "good in pics, bad in hand" for me.

ROTF Breakaway and Jolt are "bad in pics, good in hand" for me.

And I'd like to add Animated Elite Guard BB as a "meh, it's a repaint, man I am glad I bought him" figure.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Crappy pics but better in hand - Breakaway/Thrust, Jolt, and now I will add the Canon Bumblebee that I got with NEST Soundwave.

Good in pics but crappy in hand - ROTF Starscream. Love the jet mode HATE the bot mode.

16. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    HA Barricade.All of Hasbro's pictures looked like crap,but in hand this thing is awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Better in hand:
    ROTF Dirge
    ROTF Thrust
    Universe Inferno
    ROTF Volt

Better in pics:
    ROTF Soundwave
    Universe Prowl
    Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus

Meh. Can't think of any more at the moment.

18. Maloknazh

Maloknazh Black Metal Ist Krieg

Ebay:
    Better in hand, Animated Lockdown. his arms looked too small and the legs looked wierd, but I cant stop fiddling with him, hes awesome

Better in pics, Universe Dinobot. Arms are wierd, and the shield/gun pisses me off.

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Better in Hand

ROTF Buster Prime. Pictures do not do that figure justice.

20. Lewa1267

Lewa1267 Well-Known Member

Better in Hand: ROTF Deluxe Swerve. I though he looked awful in that Hasbro pic on the back of the card, but when I got him out of he box, he looked so awesome. Same with ROTF Deluxe Jolt.

Better in Pics: ROTF "Normal" Voyager Ironhide. Looked pretty cool on the back of the box, though he was crap(HEADSCULPTANDLACKOFPAINTDETAILINROBOTMODEPARTS) in hands.