Transformers term guide

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 0ptimus__Prime, Dec 11, 2008.

1. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    There is alot of terms out there we Fans and collectors use.

This guide is to help people know the terms and intials of the TF world.

Autobot=Good Guys
    Decpticons=Bad Guys

G1= Generation 1 was the show that started it all. Hasbro bought rights to these transformable toys from a company in Japan called Takara.
    This show aired in 1984 and the toyline would be the starting point of The Transformers

TFTM= TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE was shown in 1986 which both took and gave charaters. Most of the Charaters from early G1 died but new ones came in their place. A lot of mixed emotions came out of this movie.

G2=Generation 2 was a show that was exactly like G1 only they added a Metal robotic like frame around the screen and had a 3D opening scene. Also had a comicline as well as a toyline.
    Aired in 1993

BW=Beast Wars was a show on "Fox Kids" a fully 3d animated show where the robots decending from Autobots and Decpticons waged a battle in prehistoic earth. The Maximals came from Autobot roots while the Predacons came from Decpticon roots.

BWII/BWNeo=A cartoon in Japan. (dont know much about it need someone to help me out on this.)

BM= Beast Machines After the Maximals won the war on Earth they head back to their home Cybertron. Once they land they find out Megatron put a massive virus on the Transformers. Now the remaining Maximals must make a balance between Organic and Machine creating a Techino-Organic Cybertron. Aired in the early 2000's

R.I.D= ROBOTS IN DISGUISE was a relaunch of the Transformers series bringing back the AUTOBOTS and the DECPITCONS to Present day Earth.
    (need helping filling in this)
    Aired in 2001?

Armada= was a show that brought the interduction of Minicons to the Universe. Minicons are small transformers that can greatly increase the Transformers power and the 'Bots (Autobots) and the 'Cons (Decpticons)
    fought a war for them. A Gotta catch em all (Pokemon) kinda show.

Energon= was a show (need help filling in)

Cybertron was a show that explained the orgin of the Cyberkeys. Each key was on a planet that represented the planet. Each Key contained a fraction of Cybertron's power. But a blackhole was coming to destory Cybertron and the only hope was to awaken Primus(The robot form of Cybertron)

TFTM or TF1=TRANSFORMERS was a live action film made in 2007. Directed by Michael Bay. A lot of mixed emotions also came from this movie.
    The Movie changed the look of many beloved charaters that fans both loved and hated.

TFA= Transformers Animated First aired in Late 07/Early 08 as a movie as the intro to the show. The first episode showed in Early January.
    Again alot people love it. Alot of people hate it.
    The Show is aired on Cartoon Network who tends to stylize the shows very cartoony.

ROTF=REVENGE OF THE FALLEN is a film again directed by Bay as a sequel to the movie in '07. Not much info has been release as little can be confirmed but we do know it will be out in Summer of 2009.

_________

Store and toy terms.

Peg-Warmers= Toys that dont sell much. Like the expensive toys like Leader Class tend to stay on the shelves longer than the less expensive deluxe figures.

Bay-formers= Figures from the Micheal Bay films.

HTS= intials for HASBRO TOY SHOP.
    BBTS= intials for Big Bad Toy Store

Henkei= Toys that Takara (company in Japan) make of Classic figures and Universe 2.0 figures that have show accurate paint deco and usually has some chrome on it.

Masterpiece: Very expensive toys but highly desired and really neat figures. Usually made of metal.

Universe 2.0: A recent toyline that is bring back old faces from shows of yester-year. A relaunch of the Universe line.

Classics: A toyline that made G1 inspired toys.

Alternators: Highly detailed figures and also highly desired. Based on modern cars.

Time Units

Astrosecond .498 seconds 1/1000th of a breem. It would be more than than a million years if done properly however, in the Generation 1 cartoon, astroseconds appeared to be much shorter than one second each.
    Breem 8.3 minutes
    Century ????? "Cybertronian century" = millions of years.
    Cycle G1 UK comics 2 hours
    Cycle Beast Wars ~1 minute very roughly equivalent to a minute.
    Cycle IDW comics 1 hour 15 min (1.25 hours) defined by Simon Furman
    Deca-cycle Beast Wars ~ 1 year
    Deca-cycle IDW comics ~ 3 weeks defined by Simon Furman
    Groon ~1 hour From "The Magnificant Six" comic in the Generation 1 UK comics
    Joor ????? From "The Magnificant Six" comic in the Generation 1 UK comics
    Kilk 1.2 Earth Minutes Defined by Simon Furman
    Mega-cycle Animated ???? "Lost and Found" episode--season 1. Ratchet estimated that it would take 10 mega-cycles to repair the Ark with the help of Sari's key.
    Mega-cycle Beast-wars ~1 hour
    Mega-cycle IDW comics 93 hours defined by Simon Furman
    Mega-cycle 13 months
    Milli-cycle ???? often mentioned since the 6th episode in Beast Wars
    Nano-kilk Animated ~1 second or ~1 minute In "Home is Where the Spark is", this got mentioned during a conversation between Optimus Prime and Prowl.
    Nano-kilk Beast Wars ~1 second
    Orn ??????? "one Cybertronian lunar day".
    Quartex ????? very first episode (MTMTE)--1984. A conversation between Wheeljack and Bumblebee.
    Solar Cycle Animated ~1 year In "Transform and Roll Out part 3", Starscream refers to the 50-year span between the Ark/Nemesis battle and the present as 50 solar cycles.
    Solar cycle Beast Machines ~1 day "The Weak Component", Rattrap say "half a solar cycle" to leave the Predacons alone in order to gain strength--one night, from dusk to dawn.
    Stellar cycle Animated ~1 year synonymous with solar cycle in this continuity.
    Stellar cycle Beast Wars ~400 days Orbital period (a Cybertronian "year"). Cybertron's rotational period ("day") is ~20 hours?
    Stellar cycle IDW comics ~7.5 months defined by Simon Furman
    Trimara Beast Wars ????? Beast Wars: The Ascending #2
    Vorn 83 years

Planets

Cybertron= The Homeworld of the Transformers
    Earth= Usually the planet the planet the shows take place on.
    Charr=First appeared in the 1986 movie Transformers the Movie. The Planet is made up of Junk and is the homeword of Wreak-Garr in G1.
    (Need filling in)

"Transform and Roll Out!" - Optimus Prime said this as a command phase. The quote is self-explained
    " 'Till all are one!" This was first said in G1. Basicly this is saying until all are one with the Matrix

The Matrix= This is kinda of like Robot heaven. Also see Autobot Matrix
    The Autobot Matrix of Leadership=The leader of the Autobots holds while they are in command.

Kitbash= a Fan made repaint or remold of a figure.

Fan-Fic= a fan written story.

Inside Jokes

HE TELL ME= a guy posted saying "Peter Cullen (orignal Optimus Prime's voice actor) said that he will be in Robots in Disguise" he tell me!
    ( He obviously was out of the country and didnt have good english grammer so now it's a joke if someting isn't confirmed. Ex: a friend of my uncle's brother told me that Optimus Prime will be pink in the new movie)

Why does Ramjet like Toast? = I'm not sure on this one. I think it's just another spam thread. I'll need imput on this.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
  3. 0ptimus__Prime

News Credits:
    Yes, but some of newer collectors might not know about it.

Plus anyone can edit it. Which sometimes end with false or misinterpeted info.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Which would make it different from this list... how?:confused: 

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    That's what Google is for. That's how most of us discovered sites like TFW2005.

And TFWIKI.net is mentioned so often here I don't see how any members who are even semi-regular wouldn't know about it.

Nearly every item in your glossary is already on TFWIKI.net. Also, if you haven't noticed there's even a built-in code for the forums that helps to identify some common TF fan abbreviations as soon as you put your cursor over the underscored term.

I do appreciate your thoughtfulness and the time you put into this, but it's ABD (already been done).

Also, terms like "TFTAM" (1986) and "TFTM" (2007) are not common usage among fans. The animated film has been abbreviated by fans as TFTM ever since the internet was created. And the live-action movie's official title was Transformers without "the movie" tacked on (which I at least was greatful for). I don't visit the movie forum much, but I would think that either TFM or TF1 would be more fitting to distinguish from the animated film, esp since TF2 is already commonplace for the next film.

If I may make a suggestion -- something that would be a really great thing to develop for the fandom/members here at TFW2005 would be a Forum FAQ that collects the most frequent queries and other topics that occur so regularly here.

I know TFW staff would also appreciate someone taking the time to do that, and such a thread would most assuredly get stickied so it could be updated regularly for reference.

6. 0ptimus__Prime

News Credits:
    Thank you for the suggustion. I want to try making TFW better. (not much can be done to make it anymore better.....) But I'll start on it.

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Oh good...I was thinking this was going to be about whatever bizarre fanon glossary started making new fanfic writers think the terms 'glossa' and 'pedes' were actual common terms fans used, instead of good ol' plain 'tongue' and 'feet'.

Instead its something kinda redundant, but a nice idea.

--Moony

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Ummm, just curious. Were you even a board member back when this happened? The whole He tell me thing happened in 2001, but you apparently joined the board in September 2008.

9. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I thought you were going to list terms like "Slag" and give the meaning, But this list works too :) 

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yep... that's how I came to find this site. I was searching for TF info for a fanfic that I've been meaning to write but failed to do so..

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Whereas your list can only be edited by you and is free of errors?

I never knew that "Diaclone" was the name of a company.

And it wasn't the cartoon that started it all, it was the toyline. Toys always come first, except for the 2007 movie.

12. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Nope. That's a mistake. The name of the company was "Takara" (now TakaraTomy). Diaclone was the Takara toyline that was combined with another Takara toyline "Microchange" to create the Transformers.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    "Energon= was a very, very bad show."

There you go.

It was Armada, actually, not RiD. If you want to do a list of in-jokes, it might help if you research them a bit.

But please don't start another "Why does Ramjet love toast?" thread. Please. For the love of <insert deity of choice here>.

14. 0ptimus__Prime

News Credits:
    No. But I remember someone asking what was the story behind "He tell me"

Thank you all for your feedback and as for the people saying this is error free I edit it based on your word.

Thanks I'll fix it now.

15. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I've been under the impression the whole "Ramjet Loves Toast" thing was just swiped from some dudes sig or something? And there was no REAL explanation other than that dudes eccentric humor? Could be way off though, I surely don't claim to know the story... I thought I read that somewhere here before though.

And for the record, even though I'm a relative n00b on these boards, I'm already tired of peeps asking what that means (lol)... no offense meant towards the creator of this thread... just generally sayin'.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

While this is technically true, the show had finished its run on another network prior to being moved to Fox Kids. And as I recall, Fox Kids edited the episodes.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What about units of time, like Vorn, orn, breem, cycle, etc.

18. 0ptimus__Prime

News Credits:
    I'd be more than happy to add that. Dont know the exact time differences between Earth time and Cybertroian time.

19. retty132

retty132 Member

20. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I'm sure the TFWiki would be happy to provide the answers.

--Moony