Transformers Takara Remastering Project

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GoldbugTM2, Jun 4, 2010.

1. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

I may or may not have mentioned this here before, but I'm going to start a "remastering" project of all the japanese G1 Transformers shows (Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, & Zone.) Beast Wars II & Neo may come later, but they're not even on DVD at the moment so it may not even be possible to do those yet. In a nut shell here's what I'm going to be doing:

The rips I have seen in torrents thus far are quite frankly terrible (audio/video). Of course the original dubs & subs are also as horrendous. Obviously I can't do a whole lot about the english dub. TV-Nihon did an admirable job subbing these shows, but some of their releases still suffer from poor video/audio quality. Also, as a Transformers fan I'm not completely happy with the existing subs, TV-Nihon or otherwise. No offense to TV-Nihon, they did an admirable job as I said, but I think I might be able improve upon their work.
    I've just ordered Madman's complete Takara boxset, and typically it takes about a month (3 weeks) for me to get stuff I import from Madman. With those DVDs, I will make brand new high quality encodes. I don't speak Japanese at all, so obviously I don't intend to sub everything from scratch. I'm going to use existing subs as a starting point and clean up grammar & names/terminology.

So this is where all of you come in. I figured before I got into this I'd get some feedback from the Transfan community. So here's my questionaire:

=================================================================
    1. Should I bother including the english dub audio? We all know these are utter garbage, but I'm reluctantly leaning towards including them anyway.

2. Which subs should I work off of: the crappy originals, TV-Nihon, other?

3. This is the essay question, which names/terminology should I use? Obviously "Sparkle" and company is out, but the names & terminology we use in the North American material & the ones they use in the Japanese material over all differ a bit. Ie. All the Primes are called some form of Convoy in the Japanese versions. Go ahead and run the gamit as to what to use here.

4. Although I've already ordered the Madman release, (barring a region 1 release from Shout Factory), by all means discuss which DVD release was better. Metrodome, Madman, etc. To me it seemed that the Madman release had the total package, including the manga stuff after Zone.
    ==================================================================

Feel free to add any other comments. There is some rumblings of a region 1 release from Shout Factory. If this does come to pass it may halt this project, depending on what they do in regards to dubs & subs.

2. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. No.

2. Takara Collection

3. Keep it original.

4. Aside any extra crap, the video quality is all the same since there's only one source - the Pioneer boxed sets released from 2002 to 2003. All telecined at 29,9 FPS and it looks like they were captured from VHS tapes. Far from the quality seen in the Rhino G1 episodes. Actually there's virtually no difference from the 640x480 episodes you download.

3. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Use the Metrodome release subs.

4. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. No.

2. Takara Collection

3. Keep it original.

4. Aside any extra crap, the video quality is all the same since there's only one source - the Pioneer boxed sets released from 2002 to 2003. All telecined at 29,9 FPS and it looks like they were captured from VHS tapes. Far from the quality seen in the Rhino G1 episodes. Actually there's virtually no difference from the 640x480 episodes you download.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Please keep in mind, while you may discuss the project, we will not allow you to offer these items via TFW2005 in any way. Once an show is out on DVD, we can not allow it to be shared via TFW. If you want to release new downloadable audio only, or subtitle downloads, that is fine.

You may share clips, trailers or scenes, but not full episodes or offer dvd's for sale.

6. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

I'm not planning on selling DVDs or anything. I'm doing this for the simple fact that I wasn't happy with any of the versions floating around the internet, which up until the last 5 years or so was our only option to watch these shows. That, and the fact that these shows are known for their poor quality english translations.

I should note that there have been some rumblings on the Shout Factory forums about a possible DVD release of these shows from them. Depending on whether or not they do it, and what they do with the awful english translations (both dub & sub), it may render this project unnecessary.

My plan was to do the first episode of Headmasters, and then show that to everyone to get feedback on it.