TRANSFORMERS STUDIO SERIES WAVE 2 SS-13 Megatron(ROTF)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by is456, May 3, 2018.

1. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

With how well they painted Grimlock and having a "The Best" Megatron in my collection, I do really wish they'd have painted the silver. But as is it's still a great looking ROTF Megatron and I look forward to it.

2. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree that he could have benefited from SS Grimlock's paint - but that would kinda cheapen the paint on Grimlock, wouldn't it?

My point is, that bananas shouldn't taste like apples.

I think Megatron's grey plastic works well enough - could it be better? Yes. Does it carry? I'd say so.

I'll have to wait to see the video tonight, but Megatron is still on my list.

Edit: just saw the videos - Brawl dropped from a soft maybe to a hard pass, but Megatron is bought on sight.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wish it had weathering and silver drybrush. Otherwise, glad Hasbro went for(what looks to be) the dark grey they molded TF1 leader Premium Megatron with.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    Neither does Music. If someone thinks it's no big deal then great, I think it is.

That's a poor argument; just because other figures share what I would call a design flaw doesn't mean that it's any less annoying on this particular one.

5. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Black Lizard Planet (actually the Philippines)
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wow, that transformation is really simple, not that it's a bad thing!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I don't think it'd cheapen the paint on Grimlock at all. What makes Grimlock look good is both the fact that they painted him up and also the way they applied it to give him a dark weathered look that makes him feel just as he does in the film and overall just makes him look really REALLY good despite being essentially one color of plastic and mostly one color of paint. Megatron isn't that different and I'd say an even more comparible example is CW Leader Megatron; that figure's silver makes it look much better than it would in pure grey. Other figures having that kind of paint don't cheapen it either and I'd argue that the opposite is true where it having that deco makes some other figures look lacking where they would have benefited. Even the "The Best" Megatron I mentioned is an example of where that kind of paint just makes a load of difference compared to the original.
    Like I said the figure is good and bare grey works OK but a silver paint just would've made it near perfect I feel.

7. closetrat

News Credits:
    Mind you, I'll be singing a different song when Jazz comes out in this same color grey.

8. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  9. Galva Prime

Galva Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He does have a fair bit of unpainted silver-grey plastic. It's only the car parts in clear plastic that have silver paint.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Think he meant some of the paint budget for the line would be reallocated from grimlock because he has the most paint of any of the figures. I think thatst what he meant anyways.

11. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Considering we've seen countless images of SS Megatron and no one had pointed out the gap in the torso until it was explicitly shown during transformation, I don't think it matters as much as you think. Sure, ideally no gap would be perfect, but it's not a deal breaker like people are making it out to be.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  12. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Not really liking Brawl but I'm more than likely getting Megatron. I never had a ROTF Megatron so I plan to get this one to go with Studio Prime so I can have Prime and Megs represented from the first three movies.

The almost too dark silver they used on said Studio Prime would look really good on this Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  13. closetrat

News Credits:
    I was just saying that with SS Grimlock, you get your money's worth with the paint job - so if every figure had it, it wouldn't really be the case anymore. Granted, it's a simple drybrush - but it makes the figure so accurate, even if it means no two figures are alike. The transformation isn't exactly complicated - really deluxe level TBH, so the paint really makes up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It's really a shame with Brawl as I was honestly hoping they'd nail it with him. Like, I love the leader class figure. It's bulky, has a cool transformation, awesome weapons, looks good, feels good, but I certainly would have liked to see one with some good modern engineering and sensibilities at a decent size and they just dropped the ball on him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fun fact, that IS what his name is based on. Bob Budiansky said it in an interview - he and another Marvel guy named most of the G1 1984 cast for Hasbro and Sunbow back then.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did anyone notice that the two Megatrons had differently colored grey plastic? He was comparing the two side-by-side after the transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Megatron look great! I don’t really care about his tank mode since I never really liked his alt modes from the first two movies, but the transformation looks fun and quick so I might see it more often just for the transformation. Love how the back folds up!

And yeah, a complex transformation is neither fun nor is it a sign of a “good” figure. It just means the designers didn’t try hard enough to make it clever and fun. At least that’s my opinion. Despite some unfortunate shortcomings in bot mode, Peru Kill is basically the perfect example of a good movieverse transformation. Doesn’t take more than a few minutes, it’s unique, and hides the kibble almost entirely. If his proportions and articulation were better he’d basically be the perfect movieverse figure. These studio series figures are a great sign of the improvements in TF design over the years. Yes they’re smaller and less complex but they look way better and are for the most part more fun. I’m loving it!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Black Lizard Planet (actually the Philippines)
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    well I guess that makes it easier to pose Prime stabbing him :D 

That is quite a gap, although I'm not gonna pose him with his arms raised up like that so

• Like Like x 4
  20. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 2