Transformers Studio Series Lockdown

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by waffel, May 20, 2018.

1. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lockdown

So lockdown then. Lockdown is pretty big and dense for a SS figure. His sculpt is mean and totally looks the part, in terms of accuracy to the movie he is unquestionably superior to the last deluxe lockdown we got. His head sculpt is perfect. His chest, while a little flat and entirely faux, is painted incredibly well and looks accurate to me. The legs are a little blocky but are well detailed. The arms are an interesting one though.

IMG_20180520_152043.jpg
    IMG_20180520_152401.jpg IMG_20180520_151849.jpg

Looking at him in a neutral pose, his upper torso seems a little cluttered and messy. It’s a visual trick, his arms can move quite freely, but there is no gap between the bicep and the chest which looks odd. This chunk is also much smoother than the rest of the arm and indeed the rest of the robot, and this is because it is the only piece of visible vehicle from the front. To hide the wheels, half of the bicep rotates 180 degrees and a panel flips out to fill in some details. It looks neat on its own, but the wheel getting in the way is why the chest looks so cluttered. If you undo this step the proportions look better, and he doesn’t look too much less accurate, but you lose some elbow possibility. Also, undoing this step robs him of his only interesting piece of transformation. I guess display him however you think looks better. And finally, his backpack. It’s disappointing to say the least. 70% of his vehicle is badly folded up in there, it’s as thick as his torso! So overall the robot mode looks pretty good, but functionality wise it’s a mixed bag.

(proper way)
    IMG_20180520_152252.jpg

(improper way)
    IMG_20180520_152337.jpg

The same can be said for the poseability. He is very standard. His head is ball jointed, but clashes with his collar if you go too far either way. Shoulders are fine if a little inhibited backwards due to the turtle shell. His elbows and knees are both 90 degrees the hips are a bit stiff but give you a full range forwards and out to the side. Again, backwards you get some shell clashing. There is no ankle rocker, but he can use the transformation joint as a forward pivot which can be quite helpful. Finally he has the waist I wanted jazz to have. Ahh well. On paper his poseability is fine, but frankly if we’re talking plastic he feels a bit limited. Its hard to explain without having him in hand, but everything moves just a little rougher than you would like.

IMG_20180520_152219.jpg

His weapons are a bit underwhelming. His sword is nice, and you can tab it onto the forearm for an Optimus Prime imitation, but its unpainted and a little boring. His hook is so alsmot good. Unfortunately it’s a little too big and it pegs on awkwardly. It has a panel to try to make it look like its transformed out of his hand, but its so flat that it just looks like he is awkwardly holding onto a hook. He can also tab this on onto his arm, but it doesn’t improve anything. If it tabbed on sideways over his hand it would have been amazing, but as is it’s a little disappointing.

IMG_20180520_152049.jpg IMG_20180520_152054.jpg IMG_20180520_152058.jpg IMG_20180520_152104.jpg

So overall in robot mode he is a mixed bag. He is good and tall, and in a pose he looks suitably menacing, but he just doesn’t have the same level of tactile fun the other studio series deluxes had (do you have time to talk about my lord and saviour Jazz for a few more minutes?).

Transformation really isn’t much to write home about. A couple of neat flips in the arms, but the legs fold away exactly as you would expect. His head folds into his chest, and speaking of the chest there is one incredibly perplexing transformation step. The central mass of his chest pushes back to give the car clearance, but it only pushes in by a couple of millimetres. It is difficult to get this panel in our out, and the effect is minimal. The chest still looks kinda flat either way. I like what they were going for, and it could have been a neat step, but it just feels like making the chest transform so people don’t complain.

IMG_20180520_153047.jpg
    IMG_20180520_153108.jpg

All that said, Lockdown makes and incredible car. The huge amount of mass hidden in that backpack means this Lamborghini is freaking enormous compared with the other SS figures, especially jazz and bee. Like Jazz, he has a paint finish on the vehicle, but unlike Jazz only the tail lights and hood insignia were picked out leaving him looking quite bland. But in the end the vehicle sculpt is great and he is satisfying in hand.

IMG_20180520_153121.jpg

So overall, lockdown is an impressive looking figure but he falls down a bit in hand. His transformation is a bit bland but his robot mode looks the part from the front. He is a really good size but taken as a whole I was a little disappointed. He is in no way bad, and he will look killer alongside prime, but I wanted this guy to be as kickass as Megatron looks and he just isn’t. He is just average with a good character attached, but that’s enough sometimes. If you like his design, you’ll like the figure well enough, and if you like the character he is better than the TF4 deluxe gremlin, but he doesn’t really go beyond.

Wave 2 Deluxes

The wave 2 deluxes are a mixed bag. I adore Jazz, despite expecting disappointment, and I was a little let down by Lockdown but he is still pretty good. Interestingly though, I really do feel I need to recommend the wave, not just the figures. Between them they fill out the mass of two deluxe figures, but on his own Jazz might feel overpriced. So that’s my recommendation; if you can only get one, and you can get over the size, buy Jazz. He is loads of fun. If you cant get over the size of Jazz, buy them both. Once you have them both in hand you’ll see the mass is there, its just been redistributed for the sake of scale.

IMG_20180520_151849.jpg IMG_20180520_153131.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 32
  2. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Thanks for both of these! Jazz went from a no way to a maybe, especially for the vehicle mode. And Lockdown is the opposite, from a buy on sight, to a maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    5'll get you 10 that's for the potential repaint/recolour that'll come with his "sword" weapon thing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Raise Your Flag!!

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for the short review of both Lockdown and Jazz. Just a couple of questions regarding the new SS Jazz:

1. How does he scales with some other toys, like the 2007 Movie Deluxe Jazz?
    2. Can I have a closer look at the headsculpt?

Still not too sure about Lockdown, however. Something about Lockdown just looks off.

5. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lockdown looks awesome. He and Megatron are the only ones I truly want and won't hesitate to pick up.

Jazz is just too small to justify a $20 pricetag. Nifty transformation aside, I just don't see the value.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Lockdown looks amazing. That car mode is perfection, and the sculpt is amazing. I had a feeling he'd be limited a bit by the backpack, but I just think he looks so great. Does the backpack come off? Not that I'd do so, but I'm curious if he has any sculpted detail back there ala AOE Drift. Would it be possible to show pics of Lockdown next to other 'Cons and characters?

Jazz impresses me, most for the sculpted face beneath the visor. I really didn't expect that, but it's a really great detail. I love that both figures are fully painted in alt mode and sport clear headlights.

Guess I continue to go all-in on SS.

• Like Like x 9
  7. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Jazz was a tiny not in the movie. Remember how small he was when Megatron tore him in two,? So not an issue. However I'll be passing on him.

Lockdown is much better then the aoe deluxe
    I picked that up so if I got that I'll get this. Now the question is will his gun gimmick work on this one,? Is there enough clearance behind the head and is the head sculpt able to acconadare the gun?

I'll still give lockdown his gun unless he can't hold it in his hand. Loving his look.

8. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Nikki is cute af

News Credits:
    Lockdown looks way better with his biceps transformed in the improper way. Cannot wait to see this dude compared with his previous incarnations, TLK Voyager Prime and SS Prime.

Jazz is looking better and better, I don't know how, also I absolutely love how from the front it doesn't look like he has a giant backpack on his back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the reviews!
    You made me a lot more excited for these figures. Will definitely pick both up!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Man, both of these guys look great. I'm delighted to hear that Jazz is a lot more fun in hand than he looks, and as others have mentioned, the fact that his eyes are sculpted beneath his visor is really surprising, but definitely welcome

Shame to hear Lockdown, in contrast, is a little underwhelming. Still, that hasn't turned me off the figure anyway. Really looking forward to getting these guys!

• Like Like x 1
  11. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Don’t care much for movie designs, but dang are those good looking vehicle modes.

12. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here ya go
    IMG_20180521_003624.jpg

I think there should be space, you can angle the kibble back for more space. I don't know if the gun will fasten on to the head or if the head is too big, but there is space out the back. He should definitly de able to hold the gun though

I don't currently have my SS prime to hand, but I can tell you he will scale better with him than with TLK prime. I think he will look a little too small with TLK prime

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gallade

Gallade Active Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info. Hope to see a picture of them soon! :) 

14. joetele

joetele Non-entity

Ebay:
    Any idea how Lockdown scales with Evasion Mode AoE Optimus?

15. Rambar

Rambar Stunticon

Where did you buy these guys?

16. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry man, I sold my evasion prime when I got the wei jiang version so I couldn't tell you. I think they'd probably look okay, but prime may be a bit too tall

I found them on the peg at forbidden planet in London

17. Rambar

Rambar Stunticon

Lucky you! Hopefully they'll be out soon in Leeds

18. GoLion

GoLion Returning to lurker.

News Credits:
    Nice review.

I hadn't realized the drastic size difference between Jazz and Lockdown. It's great that Hasbro is actually going for height accuracy (as much as they can) with this line.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Both Lockdown and Jazz look amazing. Despite his size, I'm definitely getting Jazz (I have paid Leader class prices for a regular size deluxe, so I have no trouble spending $20 on a smaller than normal deluxe). Lockdown is a maybe, I own UT's Lockdown, and it fills my desire for Movie Lockdown.

• Like Like x 2
  20. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

Good review. These two figures look great, I’ve yet to see a studio series figure, that I won’t buy on site.

• Like Like x 1