TRANSFORMERS STORAGE ... What do you use?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TILALLR1, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

What is the best thing to pack up Transformers in. Moving soon and wanted to get a head start. Don't know when I will be unpacking so lets assume 1 year or more. So what do you use to pack them away safe and tight?

Large Bubble wrap? Foam?

Will figures yellow is packed up tight?

Storage bins? What type do you use?

Thanks.

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    plastic bins one idea

I also used reguler moving boxes but that is put in a temp controlled storage room so that is safe.

but yellowing should not be a problem since no UV light hits em.

3. TILALLR1

But what about from moisture and humidity? Can that not cause a similar effect. Or does that only cause brittleness.

4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I actually had a bunch of my BW collection in a cardboard box in my garage for over five years. (I live in Illinois, so hot summers and cold winters.) When I pulled them out, they were just as if I had just put them in a box the day before; not a defect on 'em.

Not that I recommend that kind of storage, though.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    probbaly but maybee for extrem moist and humidety. Best thing is to have them in a place that dont shift massivly in heat, cold and moist. A garage is not recommended.

6. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    When I moved, I put each figure in a Ziploc bag (various sizes) with their weapons in their most sturdy form, car or robot. Carefully put each one in large,sturdy cardboard boxes broken down by toy lines, one figure on top of another. And was just extremely careful with the boxes. I moved them myself, in my car vs. using the moving truck and the friends who helped. Anywho... Good Luck with your move!
    -G

7. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

Recently, I've been ordering my figures from BBTS and HTS. I usually store my figures in the boxes and bubble wrap that they were originally shipped to me in.

8. shortround

shortround Banned

plasic bins wit paper towels

9. TILALLR1

Anyone suggest air tight boxes? Or should air be allowed in, though small holes. Some plastic bins have tiny holes or are not air tight. Just wondering if it ok to use those.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Be nice to have the option... :p 

11. defstar

defstar Autobot...

If you need a strong storage bin go with the plastics ones at walmart...they come in a good variety of sizes around 8-$12...if stored in a stable area where box damage is unlikely use cardboard boxes...I find that small bubbled bubble-wrap works best...

12. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

i started by saving up some bubble wrap from online orders. all my tfs went in plastics bins for storage while im away at school (first year of college, i leave tomorrow - yikes!) i carefully placed all my tfs and used the bubble wrap. i made sure the tfs with soft plastic (i.e. movie leader prime's smokestacks) were at the top so that they don't get permanently disfigured. good luck on your move!

13. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did the exact samething, they stayed in boxes for over 2 years in a basement and were fine.

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    all of mine are stored in plastic drawers that I found at Staples. When I moved this summer, each one was wrapped in bubble wrap and/or T-shirts in their alt. modes. Every single one was fine at the end of the 300 mile move that I had to go around mountains.

15. TILALLR1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Picked up bubble wrap and a bunch of bins from walmart. That should keep them safe and sound. But its going to take forever.

16. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Yup... Like I said. Good Luck. :D 
    -G

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Rubbermaids, lot's of Rubbermaids. Packed right ordinary cardboard boxes work too though for moving a big collection I would try and hunt down big ones, I have a bunch of old CRT monitor boxes and they work great.

18. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    This is the best way IMHO.

I you're gonna store them, pack them as above,and invest in Rubbermade(?) containers with lids. Once you secure them all will be well.

I moved my collection from Pittsburgh,Pa-to Florida packed this way, and everything came through in perfect shape.

19. studioremark

studioremark New Member

Sorry to revive an ancient thread here, but what do people think about using hard plastic cases with foam padding for storage?

This might be overkill, but I had a couple of briefcase sized former gun storage cases come my way and I was thinking they'd be an idea storage option for some higher-value items (ex. it seemed a very complimentary fit for Megatron, etc.)

Would the foam have any adverse effect over time to the paint? I'd seen mentions of 'foam mesh' from drawers as being problematic, but I assume that that was due to the rubbery texture on those cases.

20. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

I use the Really Useful Boxes line of storage boxes. They are great because they use a stacking feature that avoids putting weight from the bottom of one box on the middle of the lid beneath it. I get the smaller sizes to avoid stacking too many toys on top of each other within a single box. When I moved, I put layers of bubble wrap in between the figures. Plus, having the smaller boxes helps me to create thematic organization.

The lids also have locking handles, but I recommend taping them shut during a move just to be safe.