Transformers spotlight: Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Hook, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Just picked this up a few minutes ago. Haven't had time to read it, but from what I've seen by looking at the pretty pictures, this looks as good as the Shockwave issue, as it has the same zany and fun artwork.

Can't wait to get home and read it!

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

it was a good read, but it was way to predictable.

3. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Give spoilers. Can't get my issue for a few days.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Spoilers!!!

It's Hot Rod of course, and he's breaking in to a Decepticon prison camp that's apparently controlled but Gutcruncher (or whatever that green tank-like action master is). He's going to bust out one main guy.

Flashbacks throughout reveal Hot Rod's first "mission" as leader was to retrieve "The Magnificence", or basically "The Oracle". His crew had a plan in stage but it fell apart, and everyone (poorly named cannon fodder) died, except for one lone guy - Dealer (aka Doubledealer).

Apparently Decepticons attacked and Dealer was captured. Hot Rod is freeing him because he feels so guilty. At the end of the issue we see Dealer on the com link with Banzai-Tron (Action Master), part of Decepticon Secret Service. Turns out Dealer is a Decepticon agent himself, he destroyed the rest of the crew and sabotauged everything, it was only Hot Rod's secret mission if the mission became compromized that saved Hot Rod's life. Banzai-Tron makes mention that he should be called Doubledealer, and DD mentions stealing back the Magnificence.

Then about 46 pages of advertisements for things already out, already passed, and more spotlights.

Not a bad issue, but Roche's Hot Rod did make me cringe once or twice. Also all of his robots are anarexic ... DD is supposed to be huge, not some skinny guy with a puny rocket launcher on his shoulder. They really need to up the ante on the art, as the story was the only thing to get my interest. Raiz's cover was unavailable or I would have taken that one instead.

No offense Roche, just not how I like my Transformers.

yay

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked up Raiz cover. I think it looks cool with Hot Rod jumping into action with Rodimus prime (I think) over his shoulder. Story was ok but the art ranged from somewhat cool, to very poor in some panels. The scenes with Dealer fresh from prison and appearing battered and clinging for life were well done, but you knew it was all a ruse.

6. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Read it.

Wonderful stuff all around.

To make a Hot Rod hater like myself thoroughly enjoy this story, well, a lot of things had to go right, and they did.

Simon continues to impress with this well-written, self-contained tale. If ever there were a comic to take us back to the UK Marvel days, this story did just that. Simon has taken a naggingly annoying pubescent character, and made him kickass cool this time around. This ain't the Hot Rod we have all loved to hate. Nope, this is a Hot Rod that I look forward to seeing a lot more of, a Hot Rod who strikes a nice balance between being impetuous and being altruistic. Moreover, I can actually start to believe that this is a bot that some day would deserve to inherit the Matrix as his own.

But as good as Simon's writing is here, on this issue, Nick takes the gold medal. The guy can draw. And by draw, I mean he can tell a story. We have seen some fantastic artists in the past few years, Don Figueroa most notable among them. But can anyone convey movement and action, can anyone tell a story, as well as Nick Roche? I am hard pressed to come up with one.

A solid "A" comic, a conglomerate of #### good art and a #### good story. Out of IDW, only the Shockwave Spotlight is better.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I for one liked the art, Heck allmost all these new TF books are swimming in detail. Takes me twice as long to read though.

Kickback thanks' for the heads up on the Chief of Security, these obscure characters keep me on my toes. But Backbeat? pretty cool name for a TF that looks like a Cassette bot. (who's current alt mode is an art-deco tram thing that's taller than it is wide) Gives me ideas for what other forms Blaster might have had in the past (not a lamp post!)

Also I don't think Dealer was a Decepticon agent, he makes mention of getting paid, I think he's a mercenary (or at least he has expensive tastes)

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Liked it, but it felt a lot like the Nightbeat oneshot, bad art and Furman writing. The whole bit where Hotrod mentions the past rolling over him, I could have swore I read a very similar line in the Nightbeat one-shot.

Anyway, liked the story coming together; So far with the last issue of infiltration and the Stormbringer mini coupled with these one-shots, I'm finally starting to grow on the IDW world. The seeds planted as of now have me wanting more all the time.

Can't wait to see double Doubledealer in action now. Hopefully he'll have a part in Escalation since we know Hotrod does at some point already. Can't wait for Sixshot now.

9. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Nice twist at the end, loved it. Never made the Dealer=Doubledealer connection, Dealer looked a heck of a lot like MW Soundwave to me, so that's what I kept connecting him to.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I prefer EJ Su and DON over Nick Roche, but his art is certainly starting to grow on me. Nice change of pace.

I liked it a lot. I don't really remember much about Doubledealer from G1, but I do like what we get to see of him here. Nice to see Decepticons actually using, you know, deception for a change. Hot Rod doesn't seem like a wreckless youth anymore, he seems more grown up... I really like the take on him. Can't wait to see how this affects the main storyline.

When does Escalation start? Next week? That's what i've been craving. Stormbringer and the Spotlights are great and all, really help to fill out the universe, but dammit... I really got into Infiltration. Need to see it continued!

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

It made me think of Hot Rod's character in ways I hadn't before, made him more 3 dimensional. Very cool.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yay for previously unused characters getting some time on the page! IDW is really using the depth and breadth of the universe to its fullest.

13. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta pick this up. Doubledealer always was one of my favorite characters. Nice to see him actually get a bit of recognition.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really liked this (not as much as Spotlight: Shockwave, but I dunno if -anything- will beat that).

Nick Roche's art gets a thumbs-up from me for the faces. His TF art has robots that are -emotive-. The bodies I don't care for as much, but eh. The fact that the faces are flexible and alive is a huge plus for me. Not sure I'd wanna see him on a main title, but I like his stuff populating these one-shots. Still wondering what's up with his Soundwave's carpal-tunnel-syndrome though. ;) 

Story was nice in that Hot Rod has -finally- gotten some comicbook characterization this century. Dreamwave barely touched him IMO. Really hoping IDW makes it as far as a possible ascension to Rodimus Prime.

And as a plus to Furman: I couldn't actually tell it was his writing until the Doubledealer/Banzaitron exchange, at which point I flipped back to check. Yes, I went into this not knowing or remembering who the writer was. :D  Granted, I don't remember many specifics from Spotlight: Nightbeat.

Not looking forward to the art in Spotlight:Sixshot, but I hope the writing stays at least at this benchmark.

15. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I loved the twist in the end, and it was nice to see Hot Rod's character fleshed out more. Though, I felt Roche's lines were a bit rushed in this issue, compared to the Shockwave one-shot (which I still think is the best thus far). But, overall I say keep the great stories rollin' IDW!:D 

16. Infosaur

one other comment, is anyone else as intrigued as I am by the expansion of the TF mythos beyond Earth/Cybertron? What is the Magnificence? What is it's significance? Is it simply an arms race? A galatic crusade to find evidence of Primus? Cluesto an expanding mystery?

"Ultra Energon"
    "There's a hole in the world"
    "The Magnificence"

Connected? Not? I am,,,, intrigued.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Correct. Doubledealer was a merc in his tech specs. Always liked that guys like him, Nightbeat, Bugly etc. got cooler tech specs like these.

The Roche cover, Hot Rod riding meteors? Glorious! Just the kind of reckless stunt he would do!

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I just read mine:

1. Love the Raiz cover. Wish he'd done the entire issue. But I don't have any problems with Roche. As Vangelus said, the facial expressions are good.

2. People are starting to like Hot Rod, wow! Thank you Simon for finally getting across those character traits that have made Hot Rod one of my favorite characters since day one.

3. Hot Rod doing special ops and inflitration? Taking the most dangerous missions the others can't and won't? Is it just me or did Hot Rod just get Jazz's job description? Not that I'm complaining. I love the new direction for the character. Maybe they could make Jazz one of Hot Rod's mentors, ya think?

19. Infosaur

Fairlady Z: Hot Rod's function is Cavalier,,, go figure. :rolleyes2 

Actually there's a pretty long list of Autobot Special agents; Bumblbee, Jazz, Repugnus, the Wreckers, but then since the Great war of Cybertron is mostly a war of infiltration and disguise it's not that much of a stretch.

Actually there are few, true Autobot "Warriors" (Sunstreaker, Tracks, Sideswipe and Warpath are the only ones I can think of.) What did they do in peace time? Are they reformed Decepticons?

I just looked up Doubledealer on tfu.info

http://www.tfu.info/1988/Decepticon/Doubledealer/doubledealer.htm

Man he's more of a brick than I remember (never did get the toy) so Roche did a GREAT job of making him look instantly familar and at the same time looking very little like his toy.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Darned -great- issue. Lovely stuffs.