Transformers society

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Do they have laws, courts, judges, "excluding Quintesons", governments, etc?
    We know they have military hence the Decepticons. But what about other sectors?
    Do they have money? Or do they use "energon cubes" as legal tender?
    Interesting to think about and discuss I think.
    Sorry if this comes near to be political or whatever, not trying to be.
    Just wonder what kind of society they have on Cybertron.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Well, in Animated (not that this really establishes anything) you can trade upgrades as currency.

Legal tender would obviously be a thing of the past if Cybertron were already destablized by war, assuming the entire planet has a unified currency or an exchange system. So trade would be the way to go.

3. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

i know they have politictions known examples ratbat emissery xion or something to that effect
    2 i can think of off the top of my head

4. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

then they also have the council of trepicudus in bw and maximul council and i think they had a nothere council before the great war

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I always find that most attempts to explore old Cybertronian culture falls flat, or relies far too heavily on really simplistic Earth parallels. Instead of exploring all the fascinating ways a race of sentient machines might form a distinct and different culture from anything we know on Earth, they instead are boringly familiar... going to nightclubs, to the races, working in "Energon mines" with f***ing energy pick-axes! The recent Ironhide miniseries, Megatron:Origin, Spotlight:Blurr... all of them fall prey to the most basic, unimaginative, stupid shortcuts, usually direct riffs on contemporary western culture. Weak stuff.

Transformers is lightweight science-fiction, I know... but the concept is different enough that we should at least stretch our imaginations a little bit.

Okay... rant over. :) 

What kind of culture existed on Cybertron depends a lot on what origins you subscribe to. It's a bit absurd, but for a fiction that's existed for so long, we still know so little. We still don't understand why Fembots exist (or do they?), or where new TFs come from, or exactly how Cybertronian biology works, or whether Cybertron really has an ecosystem of it's own.

zmog

6. Tigertrack

Ecosystem? You mean mechosystem! LOL!
    Anyway it's all fantasy sci-fi anyway so nobodies answer will be the right one. If I remember the series correctly from watching my Leadership of Matrix DVD set, basically the Quintessons were really the only judge, jury, and executioners of the Transformer race.

My other part of the question is this: Do they have ranks like in Star Trek and if so what are they and who's who? Apart from the obvious.

There is an entire series of information, books, and what not for the hole Star Trek universe.

I remember seeing at the book store a long time ago there was a big massive book all about the Star Trek world showing highly detailed blue-prints, and drawings of all the different star-ships, weapons, uniforms, and gadgetry of the Star Trek world. I wish I had gotten that book, but it was too expensive at the time. It would be cool to see the same thing for Transformers.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Category:Transformer culture - Transformers Wiki

And somewhat more specifically, Category:Transformer governments - Transformers Wiki

In Animated, Megatron surrenders to Omega Supreme to be brought back and tried for warcrimes, indicating some form of law on the planet. Furthermore we see that The Magnus answers to a civilian council.

In Megatron: Origin and other stories, we see a Senate.

In the future of BWII/BWNeo there is a Convoy Council, a directorate made up entirely of those who are ranked Convoy.

There's a Universe/Timelines/OTFCC fiction story in which Axium Nexus universe uses real currency and finds trading in Energon repugnunt, despite the vast majority of the multiverse doing so due to Energon shortages.

8. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well the novel Exodus pictures a some what non-western setting. While IDW dealt with the common bot going towards a violent revolution Exodus portrays Cybertron as a caste driven society. You are built for a certain function you stay there forever without advancement. Worse than Animated's communist and at Sentinel's watch fascist rule.

The situation was so bad that Optimus and Megatron worked together to end that system.

Beast War-Beast Machines Maximals to me borrowed a lot from Earth culture. Democracy being one. Aside from probably Paradron Autobots doesn't strike me the democracy type.

9. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I've been reading war within and I know they have a high council wich would probably act as a court. They use energon chips as money. and primes are head of everything.

10. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Isnt that the whole Aequitas thing? Or did I not understand something....Also, the dude who said Fembots, wasnt it the Quints/Jhiaxus?

I personally like how the ancient cultures seemed. Making them egyptian like/Roman like makes sense.

Using pickaxes with yellow and black stripes was dumb. The races I understand, they did that in 5 Faces........

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Doesn't Energon = Energy, goodies, alcoholic beverages, and currency? I'm kind of a dumbass, and don't really know. But, they have to have some sort of military or they're screwed, I guess Optimus and Co. is the military or at least the protectors.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Ha ha, the attempts at a Transformers society do sort of remind me of Futurama where everything is just a robotic version of human society.

13. SMOG

In most TF fictions Energon is kind of a catch-all substance... food, currency, resources in general.

I actually hate energon. I like fossil-fuel based TFs. Energon used to just be what the cubes were made out of, but I guess all that changed looooong ago.

zmog

14. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Transformer society seems to have degenerated into two waring factions both loosely following a military hierarchy by the time we see them. After several millenia of constant war, planet wide energy shortages, an entire planet lain to waste (possible more than one), life has become a constant struggle for survival. Things like economies and social structures and even law enforcement have surely become secondary by now.

In fact, now that I think on it, the "autobot cause" may well be a fabrication of an early Prime, to inspire his troops into continued fighting. The Decepticons have a built-in motivation of conquest, but I have to wonder if Primes assertion that "freedom is the right of all sencients" was just a rallying call after "hey! I still think we might win" started to get old.

Many, if not most, charactors do seem to have functions beyond the military though. Healers and engineers being prominent on both sides. Also couriers and Swindles penchant for selling everthing that isn't nailed down shows a connection to some sort of trade system.

15. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

Fossil fuel is nearly impossible as cybertron havent organic lifeforms which are needed for this process. In my continutiy energon is a radioactive element which doesnt exist on earth but the element uranium is similar to it.

16. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Nailed down? Swindle sells even the nails!

17. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Their society crumbled when the worldwide war started and their social organization has been strictly military ever since (G1).

The Quintesson era sounds like modern China. A society that lives on heavy industrial production and interplanetary trading.

The Autobots made their revolution, tried to keep the Quints industrial scheme but failed to keep their economy stable, fueling the upcoming Decepticon take over.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

No one considers Star Wars light weight science fiction, but it does exactly the same thing.

19. Tigertrack

I think the Death Star was the beginning of Cybertron ions ago. R2D2 and C3PO were the original sentient robotic beings of the "planet". After they turned the "clones" against the Rebellion, they transformed the Death Star into a peace-loving planet and continued building it. They continued to add more and more to the Death Star, dismantled the huge-ass freaking planet-destroying laser gun and changed the name Death Star to Cybertron being a planet for robotic organisms. Eventually, the "Star" had been built into a large enough planet to sustain a new race. It's energy levels were so vast that it glowed a brilliant gold sheen thus entering Cybertron's first golden-age. :D 

20. SMOG

Fossil fuel or something similar. We don't really know what would or wouldn't be possible on Cybertron because we don't really know (aside from the Season 3 explanation) exactly how Cybertron was formed, or what variations in structure and ecosystem might allow for natural deposits of various substances and elements.

Uh... actually I think MOST people would consider Star Wars to be lightweight science-fiction. In fact many would argue that Star Wars isn't true science-fiction at all, but rather "science fantasy" through and through. It's the cartoonish space-opera that launched a hundred more derivative space-operas (like G1 Season 3).

And while there are plenty of Earth corollaries in Star Wars, most are less obtrusive or out-of-place than those presented in Transformers... especially when one considers that Transformers is based fundamentally on a race of fully mechanized sentient life forms, while in Star Wars, the basic standard for life is "organic human"... or close to it at the very least.

zmog