Transformers Shuttle Attack 1986

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ironhide29, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ironhide29

Ironhide29 Banned

Hi everybody like most of you are very sad with that scene and are still confused as why did the Autobots went down so easily after one shot i mean in the tv series they would take shots on the head shoulder arm and back and not die but here they all die and i have some questions to ask concerning that maybe some can help me:

1- Why did Brawn die he got shot on the shoulder you don't die when you get shot on the shoulder, to me he was still alive

2- If the Dinobots were in the Shuttle would they have died too? or they would off killed some decepticons?

3- How come they didnt contact Optimus Prime for backup??

4- How did the decepticons found the shuttle on space?? and how did they caught them??

5- How come the Autobot Shuttle didnt pick up the Decepticons on their radar??

It still bothers me to this day when i see it.

Thanks.

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because they were busy being dead?

3. Ironhide29

Ironhide29 Banned

i mean when Megatron entered

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think Prime and co. could make it in time for a rescue mission. And to answer question 4, Megatron knew that the Autobots were sending a shuttle to Earth from Lazerbeak's recording. So he just waited for them to launch and followed the shuttle.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    1. The wound was huge. Huge to the point where it probably ate into vital components within his chest cavity.

2. I think the ultimate outcome might have been the same, but the Cons would've taken severe casualties.

3. Not enough time. Or maybe they tried, but Soundwave jammed the communications equipment.

4. Laserbeak spying on the Autobots earlier may have exposed the shuttle's route to the Cons.

5. The radar may not have been sensitive enough to pick up anything smaller than a spaceship. Put it this way - can human radar pick up a human-sized target?

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    In the original script (and early story boards) there was additional content prior to the attack where the Autobots flew threw a meteor shower, which blocked their sensors and comms. Presumably, the Decepticons hid in there and simply waited for the Shuttle.

You can see a remnant of the bits in the final film with the big asteroid the shuttle passes by.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I would have broken that off sooner, except that's one sentence. Anyway, no, I loved that sequence. For years it's been my favorite of the entire film.

First of all, plenty of people die when they get hit in the shoulder, it's movies that minimize that. You can kill someone with a powerful riflle/gun just by shooting them in the hand and allowing the shockwave to travel up and into the torso, dealing major damage.

That aside, the script was absolutely brutal in describing what happened to the Autobots, such as Prowl having his insides melted, fused, then supercooled all nearly instantly, which resulted in the acrid smoke pouring out of his mouth as he died. Brawns fate was significantly more humane by comparison; in the script he was supposed to be cut in half by Megatrons blast. Ratchet and Ironhide were fused together then blown to bits.

Yes, they would've died. Every Autobot on the shuttle was to die for plot and housekeeping purposes.

:lolol  When during that attack would they have been able to?

I'm guessing english isn't your first language; welcome to the boards BTW! Anywho, because they're Decepticons and they have the info.

As the original script says:

EXT. SPACE - LATER

The shuttle hurtles though a massive asteroid field.

PROWL (V.O.)
    Slow down, Ironhide. We want to get to
    Autobot city in one piece.

CUT TO:

INT. THE SHUTTLE

Ironhide is at the controls.

IRONHIDE
    If I can dodge Dececpticon rays, I can
    sure as shootin' dodge a couple of
    asteroids.

Suddenly, there is a terrible BANG! on the side of the ship,
    and the two Autobots are thrown from their seats.

PROWL
    You were saying?

IRONHIDE (IRKED)
    That wasn't an asteroid.

There is a blast of light and they turn to see...

Plus we didn't see a Decepticon cruiser, they probably waited in space then attacked before the shuttle cleared the field as individuals.

Still my favorite sequence, along with Megatrons reformatting and Starscreams coronation.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:

(I answered in red above)

I hate that they killed 'em off also, but they needed to intro the new guys and advertise them like they did the G1 crew, so off they went.

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'm just glad that if he had to go, at least my boy Ratchet went out all John Woo double gun styled. That was his Chow Yun-Fat moment.

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's like the piece I wrote about "fire retardant foam", it's impossible to apply logic to the G1 cartoons. All of these questions unfortunately are answered by "The writers wanted to kill off the old characters and sell new toys". I wish there was a better explanation, but there isn't

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Prime sent them deliberately to flush Megatron out and get him off Cybertron. He followed them to Earth to cut off Megatron's retreat. If not for Unicron, the Decepticons would have lost the war entirely in the first act of the movie. Ultra Magnus would have disrupted Starscream's coronation instead, with a shuttle full of hungry Dinobots.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because his toy wasn't on the shelves anymore.

Who knows, how long did their toys stay on the shelves?

It happened pretty fast. And because stiffs aren't that talkative.

Because they were totally spying on all the preperations for launch. That's, actually, the first thing you see in the movie, is Laserbeak spying.

Because they're tiny and fast and they needed to kill those guys off somehow.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

This is going to be fun.

Well actually , just like with Wheeljack and Windcharger, theres no proof from within the narrative that Brawn died.

Who knows.

Soundwave was blocking their transmissions???
    They followed them with sensors.
    Soundwave blocked the radar?

14. Ironhide29

Ironhide29 Banned

Prime left right after the Ironhide, Brawn, Prowl, Ratchet took off?? or he left as soon as Blaster contacted him?? I am sure Prime knew when he sent the Shuttle to Autobot city that Decepticons might enter it... And only if Ironhide kept quite after Megatron said The Autobots Will Be Vanquished Forever but no instead he had to grab Meg's leg and scream nooooo.

15. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I just felt it was too jarring...

I mean, all that time with Megatron cooking up elaborate, convoluted schemes and plans only to fail time after time....and all along he just could've walked straight into a room in and done that.

Also, not to mention that I'm pretty sure most kids were fans of Prowl, Ironhide and Ratchet. I don't know why the producers felt it was a good idea to take characters kids were attached to and brutally murder them on a giant screen. I know they wanted to replace the cast with new figures to sell, but jesus, they are TRANSFORMERS! They could've just reformatted the existing characters! Instead they get the kids all super-excited, thinking they are going to the theater to see their favorite Autobots kick some butt on the big screen, only to brutally murder a big part of them, and replace them with unknown, future-alt mode, and (arguably) less likeable characters overall. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? And it wasn't like they were each taken out one at a time throughout the film, each going out in a heroic way....they just took a shipfull all at one time and said "Hey kids! Here's a ship of those Auto-guys you like so much! Dead! Dead! Dead! Dead!"

It is what it is, and I love the movie, but whether or not you love the S3 cast or not, you have to admit that was really horrible planning....I could just imaging the discussions...."yeah, well see, the kids love these transformer guys, so we'll get them into the theater, and then, we'll brutally kill them right in front of the kids! Then, they'll run out and buy the NEW robots!"

The crazy part isn't that someone proposed that, it's that someone actually agreed with the plan and green-lit it. I suppose back then, the out of touch old dudes making this stuff just thought of them as robots, and didn't realize kids saw them as actual characters. There's alot of heavy 70s influences in the art specifically (die Floro Dery) so I could totally see that mindset of not thinking of robots as actual characters/people. I wonder if someone in those planning meetings actually suggested that these are TRANSFORMERS, they can take other forms....there's no need to traumatize children with death.

Kup was just Ironhide.
    Bumblebee or Sunstreaker could've been Hot Rod.
    Springer was the "bay-movie Ratchet" so he wasn't even really there as a "new personality". Just use Hound.
    Ultra Magnus was a Red Herring and a grade-A screw up, anyone could've done that. Silverbolt could have filled this role as a not-prepared leader.
    Arcee? Ok, just intro her as a new character, even though she was worthless anyway.
    Blurr? Ok...I'll admit...Blurr is the one movie Autobot I always liked. I did like Rodimus until S3, when he was retconned into a emotional, unstable, mopey, bad planning loser.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Dude, I got nothing against you, but you know that posting this will invite the same old arguments from countless other threads.

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I finally saw the the shuttle scene on my large HD TV the other day. Not only is Brawn's wound large, it went right though him! As he turns around you can see a non-smoking hole in his chest. I know, I should have taken a screen capture, but I don't know how to do that with an HDTV yet.

18. perceptor_mc

perceptor_mc Well-Known Member

Agreed! The same argument over and over is getting boring. Even if he didn't die, he would of died in the ship crashing.

19. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Brawn is not shot in the shoulder, he is blasted in the upper left of his chest.
    Go look at some screen caps and you'll see the hole in his chest as he turns around and falls down. (As Backscatter mentions above)

Anyway, all the Autobots on the shuttle dying is Jazz's fault. If he had done his security job properly he would have detected Laserbeak spying and they could have either shot him down or delayed the shuttle launch.

As for a reason for the deaths, as others have said they died because their toys were going bye bye. No in-story reason as to why characters who were blasted many times in the series now explode in one shot. What do you expect for a feature length toy commercial?

20. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I know.

But everytime I see a topic that approaches the subject Ihave to speak my mind.

Presumably.