Transformers series on blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wyvern, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hey guys just wanted to know if there had been any talks bout putting some of the series on blu-ray. I would love to have G1 and Beast Wars on blu-ray.

2. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, there hasn't been any talk yet.

3. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Kind of unlikely.

Remember that the production masters that were used for the old Rhino and Metrodome sets, while they are on film so they could be converted to HD, are also loaded with animation errors which is why the Shout! box sets cut in bits from the broadcast masters that were sourced from videotape.

And Beast Wars...I don't know what format the Beast Wars masters are in.

4. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

That's no problem. Those correct shots are actually small in number, and the drop in resolution would be very apparent but worth it to have G1 in HD. Or they could just use the remastered film with the errors, which I didn't have as much as a problem with as others did. The TFTM Blu Ray also has this problem, where some shots were missing and tape was used.

Beast Wars was rendered in standard Def. So, they would have to be upscaled. Keep in mind though that with proffessional equipment upscaleing would be better than stand alone player upscale. Though the bump in quality is only like 10-15%.

I'd say we are getting closer to G1 in HD. Originally Shout! was completely uninterested, but whats' his face has been a little more open to the idea recently since they decided to do the Japanese G1 shows. Shout! does do Blu Ray releases.... so I'm hopefull.

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they make them, I will definitely buy them.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I almost don't want them to... just 'cause I KNOW I'd end up buying them :p  and it would be my THIRD time buying G1 lol.

Same thing with Beast Wars haha.

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I don't own a blu-ray player. But just out of curiousity, does watching the dvd on blu-ray improve the quality at all? I've heard before that watching a regular dvd on a blu-ray player is supposed to do that.

8. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    It will upscale to a higher resolution and look better than if you had watched it on a normal DVD player, but nowhere near Blu ray quality.

9. LordShockwave

LordShockwave Harold of Power.

News Credits:
    Sorry man i dont really think they're going to do that. If they would they probbably would have by now.

10. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    The other problem would be that they would still be standard instead of letterbox. Unless you really like how TFTM faked the letterbox.

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

...or they could do what Rhino did and actually try and FIX the animation errors - only not do such a total hackjob about it this time!

Now THAT I don't believe for a second. A videotape would look crap even on DVD (see: every 80's TV series on DVD) and the picture quality on the DVD was consistent throughout.

12. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

It does look bad. The picture gets really fuzzy/blury, all the detail drops out. I don't really call what they all were, a shot or two on the shuttle when the Decepticons attack, and one shot during the fishing segment. There may have been one or two more, but I don't know them off hand. They go by really fast, so it doesn't really effect the over all enjoyment of the HD experence.

13. chrizgrv

chrizgrv lurker in the depths

The blurring may not necessarily be from a lower quality source, it could be from the camera that captured the animation. Almost every 2d animated movie that came out before 1990 will have focus problems in at least one shot because of human error. I never noticed them as much until I saw them on bluray.