Transformers Sequel.... GI Joe ???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by fernbern, Jul 7, 2007.

1. fernbern

fernbern Well-Known Member

I have read some things on the internet about the 2nd or 3rd sequel with respect to a GI Joe element. There was a TV movie in the 80s with TF and GIJ. I hope they won't resurrect that dead horse.

Doug

2. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

Personally It looked to me as if this movie may be the birth of the Joes. With sector 7 being disabled, who will replace their job? It still needs doing, and it' would be nice if they could work along side the bots with the people we now have gotten to know.

3. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

UNIT or Torchwood should replace Sector 7.

4. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    There's a Transfomers & GI tv movie?? How come I've never seen this anywhere??

5. fernbern

fernbern Well-Known Member

I saw this TV movie as a kid. I don't remember.... maybe 86 or 87. I remember the GI commander (whoever he was... same voice as Starscream) was killed.

Doug

6. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

He wasssssssssssssssss once a man.

The intro for the old GIjoe movie was awesome, it went to crap after that.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd totally be into homages to GI Joe, but nothing more than that.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    No gijoe crossover movies please. I know it's a thrillride in the comics as well as a huge nerd explosion for our psyches. But crossovers come off as shallow to me and though millitary impact should be higher in a transformers sequel as the war escalates. GI Joe is a strong brand and I'd like to see it as it's own movie.

Here's a joke for you:
    Q:How does a cobra soldier sneak up on a joe?

A:He tosses a smoke grenade and then shouts "Cobra!"

9. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Duke did not have the same voice as Starscream.

10. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    Nooooooo Joe!!! Seriously....they have there own franchise. Maybe it would work...but TF has so much going for it with the effects and tie-ins with real vehicles...I'm not sure the Joes would add a lot. Sure, there are some they like both TF and Joe and would love it. But for me....I always thought it was a rivalry back then and what could TF do to one up GI Joe. Like back when the original movie came out. When I heard years later that because the movie bombed at the theaters that GI Joe's movie was going straight to video...I chuckled. And I always thought GI Joe got better treatment that TF. I coud be wrong, but it seemed that Joe just had a slight advantage in the overall sceme of things. Now TF is going way above and beyond GI Joe with this movie and the overall explosion of the brand in recent years. GI Joe can have their own movie.....keep it TF!

And just to let everyone know....it's my personal opinion...so no attacking me personally. ;) 

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I don't believe there was. There was one episode of the third season of TFs that had, sort of, a cameo by Cobra Commander, and there was a Joe/TF miniseries by Marvel Comics, but that was all.

ANYWAY...

I think this is all just ignorant people getting their signals crossed. Just as the success of Batman in 1989 spawned a slew of comic book films in the early 90s, then again after XMen in more recent years, the success of TFs will have studios scrambling to find another toy property to turn into a film franchise. GIJoe has long been in development, and whether it would go foward or not largely depended on how well TF did. Odds are now it'll be put on the fast track, but it will be as its own film.

Cobra Commander and Starscream were voiced by Chris Latta. Duke was voiced by Michael Bell (technically Duke wasn't the Joe leader, but it often seemed that way). Duke was supposed to be killed in the GIJoe movie, but they changed their minds at the last minute and just sent him to the hospital (pehaps fearful causing a backlash similar to that created by killing Prime).

12. misterd

dbl post

13. KMITB

News Credits:
    Yep...."Only Human" had a cameo by Cobra Commander. He was wearing this big hat. Other than that, I didn't see much of a connection. I often thought Marissa Fairborne was a daughter of a Joe.

And Misterd....you are right about Duke. With the backlash that Prime was killed and crushed a lot of kids...they decided at the last minute to just wound Duke and not let him die. You don't want to make the same mistake twice!!!

14. misterd

THough I don't believe Duke was ever as beloved as Prime.

15. KMITB

News Credits:
    No....I asked a friend yesterday to tell me the iconic figure from GI Joe and he thought Cobra Commander was. No one Joe stood out. Prime is definitely the representative of TF....no doubt about it!!!

16. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

a very minor cross-over could help G.I. Joe. Perhaps in the sequel they have a dispute of nuking the TF's or not and General Hawk is in charge of it and has to give the order. And that's it we have General Hawk, exact same char. and everything. NO mention of G.I. Joe, no Cobra no other chars. Just something small yet good enough to open up the door for Joe.

17. misterd

I think it was just your perception. Joe did start a couple of years earlier than TFs, and was a presold commodity, so they were going full steam by the time TFs launched. But the Joes set the pattern which TFs followed - comics, mini-series, regular series. It took a much longer time (relatively speaking) for GI Joe to get its show on the air than it did TFs. But when TFs did launch, it was definately the bigger franchise. It also died a slightly quicker death in the US - Joes were able to linger on much longer with cheap (neon colored) repaints, while TFs alienated their fans with one new gimmick after the next. But I don't think you can really say, overall, that one franchise had it any better.

18. misterd

I think the Joes have a slightly deeper bench than the TFs as far as iconic characters (though Snake Eyes, not CC, would hold the titles for the Joes), but the truly iconic TFs have much greater standing.

19. KMITB

News Credits:
    Yeah.....it's definitely an area for much more in depth inspection. It's good to chat about it now......you never know...it could happen one day.

20. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

You know .... I seriously doubt it. Because in the real world they call them SOLDIERS. THE U.S. ARMY!!! MARINES!! How is this the birth of the Joes? It was an old retarded concept to bring military special ops to children. But you know what? In these times, kids are a lot more into the real life military than they used to be. So why call them Joes when we can just have delta force and navy seals which are WAY cooler? For names sake? To tickle your childhood barbie doll fantasies?