2D Artwork: Transformers (Season 1) DVD Cover

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SilverBlade, Sep 22, 2008.

1. SilverBlade

SilverBlade Well-Known Member

I modeled this after the 15-DVD box set, and tweaked it a little. Tell me what you guys think.

[​IMG]

2. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting... I assume you were going for a 'less is more' approach but IMO this need a little more. I think it's the fonts of the episodes. They seem so... MS Word.

3. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Why?

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Season 1 is only 16 episodes...

5. twincast X99

twincast X99 Drag racing to the sky.

pretty cool. :) 

6. Dreweido

News Credits:
    This is the second time I've seen you write this in a thread. This is considered spam. Do it again and you will be given an infraction.

Everyone else can take this as a reminder.

7. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I'm sorry, I was just wondering were he got the idea to do this. How come? I'm sorry if I seem to be spaming, I apologize.

8. SilverBlade

oh, ok. I'm going to fix that. This is really to show the 'format' and 'look' I was going for.

There is a 15-DVD box set of the series. Great packaging, but a bit of a pain to get to an actual DVD (Open tin box, slide DVD-book out of it's cover, then flip to the DVD).

I am planning on making DVD cases and covers to replace the DVD packaging it came with.

Any suggestions, from anybody, on how to improve this?

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hehe, cool. The design is looking very good. Looking forward to seeing it finished. :) 

10. Dreweido

News Credits:
    I would suggest making logos for the Disc 1, Disc 2 etc titles instead of just the same font.

There's a lot of negative space (is that what I'm thinking of?) maybe put some designs over the black behind the 'bot and 'con logos.

11. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Oh, so you're going to put each disc in a seperate case? That's going to be a lot of cases. lol I think that's why they made the set with the sleeves so it wouldn't be so Huge.

12. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's pretty bland. Looks a bit amatuerish with no focus. The fonts need a major overhaul. You'd be better off going with a more custom TF logo as opposed to the overused faux TF gradient. Too much grey. A custom cover should improve on the existing covers and not just exist simply because it's custom. Sorry if I sound overly harsh, but as a designer, I see too many cringe worthy design choices.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like the approach, but a few things I'd suggest for tweaking:

• Choose between making "the Transformers" logo and the Autobot symbol in color or in chrome. The Autobot symbol in chrome is too stark with no reason.
    • Have "the Transformers" logo on one line instead of having it split on the spine.
    • I like the font choice on the back, but the closeness to the edge creates too much unnecessary tension.
    • Integrate the title design into the design a little better; tie it into the rest of the layout more. It's already been pointed out that Season 1 is off simply because of the episode list you chose. You can do something like "Part 1" and then make "Part 2" post movie.

I like the minimalist design approach and I also like the halves of the faction symbols. Perhaps you could add some chrome in your printing or a hint of color to spice it up some?

Keep up the good work, bud :thumb 

14. SilverBlade

Eh, screw it...

Not going to work on this.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It seems you're frustrated a bit. Perhaps it'd be best to move and then return with a fresh mindset. I hope my critique, at least, comes across as constructive. I think you've got a really cool project going on here and I think it's a worthy one, considering the prices of Rhino DVDs from what I can tell. Also, I typically critique things that are of worth :)  Personally, I think you've got some nice things going on and a few things to tweak. Such is the nature of art sometimes.

Keep creating, man! :thumb